Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Artificial Intelligence

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Artificial Intelligence
Post by WLBjork   » Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 am

WLBjork
Commander

SWM wrote:Sure, there are a number of movies and books based on the premise of AI going bad. But to play devil's advocate, I would point out that there are also a lot of books and movies that have AI going good. 2010, for instance, or the Dahak books, Two Faces of Tomorrow, When Harlie Was One, and hundreds of others.

The existence of books depicting rogue AIs is not a good indicator of anything. :)

Dahak is up against a rogue AI himself though.

KITT had to face off against KARR in Knight Rider (although those aren't supposed to be true AIs).

Not sure of any others, AI based science fiction not being something I read a lot of...
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 11:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Noone has mentioned Joshua, the WOPR in War Games. It exhibited a very intellectual trait when it ultimately reasoned "Greetings Professor Falken. Strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 1:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Since we're in the thread of Honorverse AI, there's something else I've always wondered about. When Honor receives in-ship calls at odd times of the night in her quarters, she always has to respond voice only, because she is in a state of undress. I always wondered why her computer isn't automatically outfitted with the same program that doctors up images of people, from substituting other Navy's uniforms, to substituting an entirely different person. That's some impressive software. But it can be used for other, less military cases. That way Honor, and any other officer would be free to take vid calls anytime.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Thu May 22, 2014 2:36 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Since we're in the thread of Honorverse AI, there's something else I've always wondered about. When Honor receives in-ship calls at odd times of the night in her quarters, she always has to respond voice only, because she is in a state of undress. I always wondered why her computer isn't automatically outfitted with the same program that doctors up images of people, from substituting other Navy's uniforms, to substituting an entirely different person. That's some impressive software. But it can be used for other, less military cases. That way Honor, and any other officer would be free to take vid calls anytime.

I'm sure she could do that. And some people probably do. But why should she bother starting up that software in the middle of the night when it is perfectly acceptable for her to answer her comm voice only?

Besides, if people thought she was up and dressed when she wasn't, they might make assumptions that weren't true. ('Why isn't she sleeping?' 'Does she have insomnia?' 'Is something going on?' 'Another late night, doesn't she take care of herself?' 'Oh good, she's up, I can call her again if I need to.')
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 2:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:Since we're in the thread of Honorverse AI, there's something else I've always wondered about. When Honor receives in-ship calls at odd times of the night in her quarters, she always has to respond voice only, because she is in a state of undress. I always wondered why her computer isn't automatically outfitted with the same program that doctors up images of people, from substituting other Navy's uniforms, to substituting an entirely different person. That's some impressive software. But it can be used for other, less military cases. That way Honor, and any other officer would be free to take vid calls anytime.

I'm sure she could do that. And some people probably do. But why should she bother starting up that software in the middle of the night when it is perfectly acceptable for her to answer her comm voice only?

Besides, if people thought she was up and dressed when she wasn't, they might make assumptions that weren't true. ('Why isn't she sleeping?' 'Does she have insomnia?' 'Is something going on?' 'Another late night, doesn't she take care of herself?' 'Oh good, she's up, I can call her again if I need to.')

I see your point. Good point. But there are important times when you actually need face-to-face. It leaves less room for misunderstandings. Facial mannerisms communicate much.

As far as starting that software, I am sure it could be configured to automatically softload into their version of fast ram. I wouldn't imagine startup times to be an issue in the future.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

Post by Bill Woods   » Thu May 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
SWM wrote:I'm sure she could do that. And some people probably do. But why should she bother starting up that software in the middle of the night when it is perfectly acceptable for her to answer her comm voice only?

I see your point. Good point. But there are important times when you actually need face-to-face. It leaves less room for misunderstandings. Facial mannerisms communicate much.

But if the facial mannerisms are computer-generated, how much can you trust them?

Alternately, if you can trust it, let your computer avatar take the call, and tell you what you said when you wake up in the morning.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 3:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:But if the facial mannerisms are computer-generated, how much can you trust them?

Alternately, if you can trust it, let your computer avatar take the call, and tell you what you said when you wake up in the morning.

The only part of the image to be augmented would be the clothing. Current tech can do that now. Just not as quickly with current, general purpose comps.

Edit:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... e-end.html

I am developing an unprecedented mathematical program that also augments sections of the screen in real time. It's quite easy actually. And that's without the old-school tricks.

Last edited by cthia on Thu May 22, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Tenshinai   » Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Serious security issue. Allowing that kind of emulation internally would create a security hole big as a dreadnaught.

Once you let it run at all, you can´t trust ANY picture.
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 3:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:

Serious security issue. Allowing that kind of emulation internally would create a security hole big as a dreadnaught.

Once you let it run at all, you can´t trust ANY picture.

There certainly should be a concern for security. And I considered that. But then I quickly realized that if access to the program can be attained, then the program is not the problem. General security is the problem. As long as there aren't any security issues with the program itself.

Issues such as dangling pointers, memory leaks, dead variables, bugs, defects, state.

Post by SWM   » Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
SWM wrote:I'm sure she could do that. And some people probably do. But why should she bother starting up that software in the middle of the night when it is perfectly acceptable for her to answer her comm voice only?

As far as starting that software, I am sure it could be configured to automatically softload into their version of fast ram. I wouldn't imagine startup times to be an issue in the future.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

Oh, it's not a bad thought, because it's a perfectly reasonable question.

You're right that there are times when you do actually need face-to-face. And in those situations, Honor has always arranged the face-to-face, either by quickly dressing and turing on video or by quickly dressing and running to a meeting. So that's the method that works for her.

On the other hand, I could see some people (certain members of the High Ridge government? :twisted: ) using the image modification technique regularly. Easy way to quickly "put on" clothes and show office scenes to impress people when you are busy with other things.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse