Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chris86_154 and 21 guests

Teeny Tiny (out of order) HFQ Snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Teeny Tiny (out of order) HFQ Snippet
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Don't say I never give you anything! :twisted:

----------------------------------------------

“The estimates of steel production you’ve just given me make me more optimistic about our ability to produce the same sorts of weapons, eventually at least. On the other hand, a thought occurred to me last five-day. There might be a way to provide an even greater capability for the kind of . . . indirect fire, for want of a better term, the heretics are using on our own men. Something closer to the capabilities of their regular artillery’s heavy angle-guns but a lot more portable.”

“How portable?”

“Less so than the heretic infantry’s portable angle-guns, I suspect, Your Grace, but much, much more portable than most regular artillery pieces.”

Duchairn frowned again, wishing Maigwair could have been present after all. The last time he’d spoken to the captain general, Maigwair had waxed eloquent in his enthusiasm for the full-sized rifled angle-guns Fultyn had designed for the Army of God. Frankly, Duchairn doubted that Fultyn’s initial efforts would match the performance of the heretics’ weapons, yet it was obvious Maigwair expected them to compensate for much of Church’s present inferiority. At the same time, it was unlikely more than a few score of the new weapons could be gotten to the armies in the field before the spring thaw, and even if they could, the heretics and their infantry angle-guns had delivered a pointed lesson in the advantages of mobility.

“What do you have in mind, Brother Lynkyn?” he asked finally, and the Chihirite opened a desk drawer and extracted a circular disk of what looked like bronze. It was about four inches in diameter, Duchairn estimated, and perhaps a half-inch thick, and pierced by a series of angled slots or holes.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Teeny Tiny (out of order) HFQ Snippet
Post by ka8wtk   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 pm

ka8wtk
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Thanks RFC!
Post by Chief-CWH   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Chief-CWH
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Location: Tx, Al, La, VA, Ak, Md, NC and everywhere in between. Army Brat-Army Officer

Thank you. Hope your wife is feeling better.
-------------------------------------

Commission Officer Vs Warrant Officer
When you Commission someone you hope that they will work.
When you Warrant someone you know that they will work.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Ret US Army - Ordnance/Signal
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Thank you RFC!

Is it a Frisbee? ;)

Or part of a torsion bow?

It is indeed a teeny tiny snippet, but more than a drabble, so thanks again.

L

runsforcelery wrote:Don't say I never give you anything! :twisted:

“The estimates of steel production you’ve just given me make me more optimistic about our ability to produce the same sorts of weapons, eventually at least. On the other hand, a thought occurred to me last five-day. There might be a way to provide an even greater capability for the kind of . . . indirect fire, for want of a better term, the heretics are using on our own men. Something closer to the capabilities of their regular artillery’s heavy angle-guns but a lot more portable.”

“How portable?”

“Less so than the heretic infantry’s portable angle-guns, I suspect, Your Grace, but much, much more portable than most regular artillery pieces.”

Duchairn frowned again, wishing Maigwair could have been present after all. The last time he’d spoken to the captain general, Maigwair had waxed eloquent in his enthusiasm for the full-sized rifled angle-guns Fultyn had designed for the Army of God. Frankly, Duchairn doubted that Fultyn’s initial efforts would match the performance of the heretics’ weapons, yet it was obvious Maigwair expected them to compensate for much of Church’s present inferiority. At the same time, it was unlikely more than a few score of the new weapons could be gotten to the armies in the field before the spring thaw, and even if they could, the heretics and their infantry angle-guns had delivered a pointed lesson in the advantages of mobility.

“What do you have in mind, Brother Lynkyn?” he asked finally, and the Chihirite opened a desk drawer and extracted a circular disk of what looked like bronze. It was about four inches in diameter, Duchairn estimated, and perhaps a half-inch thick, and pierced by a series of angled slots or holes.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by AClone   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Thanks, RFC. Coming back from double cornea replacement surgery (same eye, two consecutive days), my reading comprehension isn't quite up to snuff, but I'll figure it out.

Glad the site is still here. ;)
Post by phillies   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 pm

phillies
Admiral

Sounds a bit heavy to be venturis for a rocket, allowing that Duchairn is not much a technical sort so his description is a mite vague. Massed katyushas could be an indirect fire weapon. However, the copper thingie might be the easy-to-machine test version of the part.

runsforcelery wrote:Don't say I never give you anything! :twisted:

“How portable?”

Post by ksandgren   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks RFC!

I know we'll have to wait until the manuscript is submitted for the really big snippets, but even these tiny tiny ones mean a lot to us withdrawal symptom types.
Post by BarryKirk   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Smokeless powder is going to really throw the CoGA for a loop. :P
Post by USMA74   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 pm

USMA74
Commander

The first time I read this it made me think about the guns that Messer Raj Whitehall or Belisarious (sp?) had made up in their respective story lines. On repeated readings I don't have a clue. Just another cruel gift from RFC for which I am extremely grateful. Oh yes beware of wizards lad for they are quick to anger. :?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a smoothbore mortar with round that generates its own spin. The tube wouldn't be as heavy as artillery but might need to be longer than Charisian mortars. The mortar rocket accelerates more slowly than its Charisian counter-part and might need a longer but thinner tube to give initial guidance.

Return to Safehold