Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 53 guests

Um?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Um?
Post by Coljr3   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 am

Coljr3
Midshipman

Like the title suggests...What does Um mean? David has it all over the place and it seems to be some sort of agreement statement but where does it come from?

Just seems kind of odd to me but then I'm from Belfast :D
Re: Um?
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Coljr3 wrote:Like the title suggests...What does Um mean? David has it all over the place and it seems to be some sort of agreement statement but where does it come from?

Unless I didn't get the memo, it simply expresses a pause in speech.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Coljr3 wrote:Like the title suggests...What does Um mean? David has it all over the place and it seems to be some sort of agreement statement but where does it come from?

Unless I didn't get the memo, it simply expresses a pause in speech.

A pause in speech, question mark implied...

I just love your signature... Where did you come by that?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:19 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

um
interjection \a prolonged m sound, əm\

—used when you hesitate because you are not sure about what to say [merriam-webster.com]

Can also be used to express doubt.

"Let's go out for pizza tonight"
"Um..." (expressing doubt because you're not agreeing immediately make making the sound that indicates you're trying to think of what to say)
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Don

My father said it to me all of the time when I was in serious trouble. Read the aside in my original post in the Honorverse favorite one-liners thread.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Don

Thanks Don for adding that important detail. Yes, question mark implied, usually the pause gives the speaker the necessary time to formulate thoughts. These kinds of words, 'ah' 'uh' 'um' are words that are groomed out of seasoned professional speakers and orators. I was taught that they should not be used as part of a well spoken individual's repertoire, and along with excessive mannerisms like hand tosses, and flailing of the arms are not for the professional. You should never hear a newscaster say 'um.'

It was how I was taught anyway. Of course I still um err use them.

Post by SWM   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:16 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Besides it's use to give the speaker time to think about a response, it can also be used deliberately to imply a general skepticism or questioning of the previous statement while avoiding putting it into words. This is clearer in verbal communication, as facial expressions and intonation help make the skepticism more obvious. In text, I guess you can tell the difference between a speaker taking time to think of a response or avoiding a response by whether they ever do respond. :)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Besides it's use to give the speaker time to think about a response, it can also be used deliberately to imply a general skepticism or questioning of the previous statement while avoiding putting it into words. This is clearer in verbal communication, as facial expressions and intonation help make the skepticism more obvious. In text, I guess you can tell the difference between a speaker taking time to think of a response or avoiding a response by whether they ever do respond. :)

When written, depending on the context, I usually read it as "How do I say this without being rude" or "I'm completely Flabergasted by the previous comment"
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse