Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests

system cruiser

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: system cruiser
Post by AirTech   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:14 pm

AirTech
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Mycroft has to be bigger than a KH2 platform as it needs crew quarters and the ability to pickup and deploy big system pods. Plus dock LAC unless you going to tell me Mycroft is my Tower system.
I got the impression that a Mycroft node was basically a Keyhole II with onboard fusion reactor and (probably) a bit more point defense.

It's a fire control relay, not a manned fort.

You still need a central control point, be that a station, an SD, a fort, a planetary defense HQ - whatever.

So a system with system defense pods, LACs, and Mycroft would have at least one station/fort that housed the LACs and the manned fire control center, then a bunch of Mycroft FTL fire-control relays and system defense missile pods scattered around.

So while I do assume Mycroft is larger than Keyhole II it's not the manned, LAC base, mobile pod mover that you're envisioning.

Another option may be a dispersed autonomous minefield setup, any ship in detection range of the on board passive sensors gets attacked (possibly with a disarm command) - this also restricts an attackers options. This eliminates the need for FTL control links whilst serving as a early warning system. Seeding your opponents system with these could also be nasty - see Oyster Bay occurring over months for disruption. Any operations will require dedicated minesweepers - a vessel type not yet in service.
Post by kzt   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:As far as we know, Mycroft does not have a crew. It is an improved KH2 with internal power system intended for system defense. It is bigger, but nowhere near as big or expensive as you suggest. One Mycroft can control more missiles than your 24 Highlander LACs.

So the Traveler sized computer lives where? He had it as 60,000 tons IIRC.
Post by SWM   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
SWM wrote:As far as we know, Mycroft does not have a crew. It is an improved KH2 with internal power system intended for system defense. It is bigger, but nowhere near as big or expensive as you suggest. One Mycroft can control more missiles than your 24 Highlander LACs.

So the Traveler sized computer lives where? He had it as 60,000 tons IIRC.

The same place it lives on the KH2.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
kzt wrote:So the Traveler sized computer lives where? He had it as 60,000 tons IIRC.

So it lives in the SD(p) the 2 120Kton KHII modules are connected to?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
SWM wrote:kzt "So the Traveler sized computer lives where? He had it as 60,000 tons IIRC."

So it lives in the SD(p) the 2 120Kton KHII modules are connected to?
I'd take that a little less literally. But yes, I assume it lives in the same place as the manned tactical section that's picking targets and ordering the missiles to fire.

In the case of Keyhole II that's in the SD(P), in the case of Mycroft I assume it's a central system defense fort. (Or possibly station, or planet side control room)

I have the impression that the Mycroft nodes are the fire control relays, but they're not a standalone turnkey defense; you still need to manned control (and computer support) somewhere

Return to Honorverse