Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:37 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:Thanks Maxx for this post!
My God, was the writing always this good?
I've got a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I missed what would have been some of my best loved sci-fi works. I should have known that if my sister was addicted they had to be good.

Generally, the writing was on a par, if not even better. Like any series, it has its ups and downs. Most of the episodes were written by J Michael Straczinski, the creator of the show, and adhered to an overall 5-year arc (one of the first TV series to do that, I think). Unfortunately, they weren't sure if they were going to get a fifth season, so pretty much wrapped up everything by the end of the fourth. Season five is basically filler, but it's still not bad.

Some episodes were written by DC Fontana who did writing for the original Star Trek, as well as David Gerrold (The Trouble With Tribbles), and Harlan Ellison (City on the Edge of Forever - also is a creative consultant on B5, and a cameo in one or two episodes). Another Star Trek connection is Walter Koenig (Chekov), who ends up playing a pretty major role throughout the series.

If you do start watching it, make sure you start with The Gathering. That is the pilot episode. Oh, and as you're watching, take notes, because some things that seem throwaway in the early episodes might come back to bite you later on.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Another Star Trek connection is Walter Koenig (Chekov), who ends up playing a pretty major role throughout the series.

And he does an awesome job with the role!

Generally, the writing was on a par, if not even better. Like any series, it has its ups and downs.

Only big problem they had were recurring arguments about contracts for several actors.
Actors playing Lyta and Talia both got some serious annoyances from it, which caused the storyline to be altered several times, for example.

From what i read, management tried to do a lot of penny-pinching, getting actors on short term, low pay and/or less than great conditions contracts, all the time, every time.

So, it could have been even BETTER! :evil:
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

HOLD it! This is the Non-Honorverse One-Liners topic and some of you are neglecting to include any Non-Honorverse One-Liners! This is not to be tolerated! Much as I enjoy the Babylon 5 discussion. In fact, I just finished watching Points Of Departure and Revelations again.

MaxxQ is right - the writing, the characters, the story all range from very good to great. Here's another sample:

(G'Kar's quarters, lit only by dim red light. G'Kar sits in partial lotus position at the head of his bed.)
G'Kar: Close the door.
Na'Toth: Close. (door closes)
G'Kar: Weep for the future, Na'Toth. Weep for us all.
Na'Toth: Are you all right?
G'Kar: I have looked into the darkness, Na'Toth. You can not do that and ever be quite the same again.

When you told me about the destruction of our base in Quadrant 37 I knew that only a major power could attempt an assault of that magnitude, but none of the governments here could have done it, which left only two possibilities - a new race, or an old race. A very old race. (Picks up a large, very old-looking book)

G'Quan spoke of a great war long ago against an enemy so terrible it nearly overwhelmed the stars themselves. G'Quan said that before that enemy was thrown down it dwelled in a system at the rim of known space.

I searched for days, going from one system to another. Then, on dark deserted worlds where there should be no life, where no living thing has walked in over a thousand years, something...is moving, gathering its forces quietly, quietly, hoping to go unnoticed. We must warn the others, Na'Toth. After a thousand years the darkness has come again.
-----------------------
Things change, characters change, relationships change, our perception of the Babylon 5 universe changes. In Convictions (Season 3) there's a scene between G'Kar and Londo in a damaged elevator that will have you rolling on the floor.
-----------------------
G'Kar: Isn't the universe a wonderful place? I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:10 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Imaginos1892 wrote:<snip>

Things change, characters change, relationships change, our perception of the Babylon 5 universe changes. In Convictions (Season 3) there's a scene between G'Kar and Londo in a damaged elevator that will have you rolling on the floor.

In many ways, I feel that Babylon 5 is more about Londo and G'Kar than anyone or anything else. Many of the best scenes and stories in the series revolve around those two.

Imaginos1892 wrote:G'Kar: Isn't the universe a wonderful place? I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Great line! R.I.P. Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar)

Also R.I.P. Michael O'Hare (Captain Jeffrey Sinclair), Richard Biggs (Chief Medical Officer Dr. Stephen Franklin), and Jeff Conaway (Security Officer Zack Allan)

Ambassador Londo Mollari: But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'...
Ambassador Vir Cotto: Cats.
Ambassador Londo Mollari: Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats.

Captain John Sheridan: You know, I just had a thought. You've been back and forth to your world so many times since you got here. How do I know you're the same Vorlon? Inside that encounter suit you could be anyone.
Kosh Naranek: I have *always* been here.
Captain John Sheridan: Oh, yeah? You said that about me too.
Kosh Naranek: Yes.
[starts to walk away]
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.
Kosh Naranek: [turns around] Good!

Captain John Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Susan Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Captain John Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up.
Susan Ivanova: In that case we're all going to die slow, agonizing deaths.
Captain John Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Ta'Lon: Congratulations citizen G'Kar. You are now a religious icon.

[Opening narration, season 4]
Lennier: It was the year of fire,
Zack Allan: The year of destruction,
Citizen G'Kar: The year we took back what was ours.
Lyta Alexander: It was the year of rebirth,
Ambassador Vir Cotto: The year of great sadness,
Marcus Cole: The year of pain,
Delenn: And a year of joy.
Ambassador Londo Mollari: It was a new age.
Dr. Stephen Franklin: It was the end of history.
Susan Ivanova: It was the year everything changed.
Michael Garibaldi: The year is 2261.
Captain John Sheridan: The place, Babylon 5
Post by Invictus   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 am

Invictus
Commander

Some more B5...

"How did you find this out Mr Bester?"
"I'm a telepath. Work it out!"

"Half of my generals want me to give you a kiss on the cheek, and the Medal of Honor. The other half want you taken out and shot. Politics is about compromise, so by rights, I should give you the Medal, then have you shot! The idea seemed to have some appeal when I suggested it to my generals..."

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Invictus   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:39 am

Invictus
Commander

Upon entering Garibaldi's quarters and discovering a large picture of Daffy Duck-

G'kar- "Is this one of his household gods?"
Zack- "No that's...Actually yeah, its sort of the Egyptian god of Frustration."
G'kar- Laughing "How very appropriate!"

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Invictus   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:43 am

Invictus
Commander

And we can't miss this bit here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mURWOwkFPM

Or the Battle of the Line speech. I don't know who that actress is but wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBRrK9Q-rw
Last edited by Invictus on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Invictus   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:53 am

Invictus
Commander

One last one. I'm worried this will turn into a Babylon 5 quote page at this rate :lol:

Londo Mollari: "The War. The humans, I think, knew they were doomed. Where another race would surrender to despair, the humans fought back with greater strength. They made the Minbari fight for every inch of space. In my life, I have never seen anything like it; They would weep, they would pray, they would say goodbye to their loved ones, and then throw themselves without fear or hesitation at the very face of death itself, never surrendering. No one who saw them fighting against the inevitable could help but be moved to tears by their courage. Their stubborn nobility. When they ran out of ships, they used guns, when they ran out guns they used knives and sticks and bare hands. They were magnificent. I only hope that when it is my time, I may die with half as much dignity as I saw in their eyes in the end. They did this for two years they never ran out of courage but in the end, they ran out of time."

Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Invictus wrote:One last one. I'm worried this will turn into a Babylon 5 quote page at this rate :lol:

And the problem with that would be...?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Michael Everett wrote:
Invictus wrote:One last one. I'm worried this will turn into a Babylon 5 quote page at this rate :lol:

And the problem with that would be...?

None whatsoever, I say! :twisted:

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"

My favourite Londo Mollari line. But, I'm biased - Londo is my favourite B5 character. 8-)

IMHO, this was the best exchange of the series:

"Londo Mollari: Refa, any force attempting to invade Narn would be up to its neck in blood--its own!
Lord Refa: We have no intention of invading Narn. Flattening it, yes--but invading it? We will be using mass drivers. By the time we are done their cities will be in ruins, we can move in at our leisure!
Londo Mollari: Mass drivers? They have been outlawed by every civilized planet!
Lord Refa: These are uncivilized times.
Londo Mollari: We have treaties!
Lord Refa: Ink on a page!"

Which resulted in one of the most haunting sequences in the whole show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImJdrCSOFA

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------

Return to Free-Range Topics...