Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:23 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

All right. I'm not ready to being posting spoilers yet, and I won't be for quite some time, given how far I am from completing the book and the fact that I'm moving events around even in the portion I've already finished. Having said that, I decided to give you a tiny snippet. :lol:

-----------------------------------

Merlin Athrawes Chamber,
Charisian Embassy,
Siddar City,
Republic of Siddarmark.

The angry, shingle-lifting background bluster of snow-laden wind roaring about the eaves only made the sudden, profound silence in the modest bedchamber even more complete. The slight sound as a coal settled on the hearth seemed almost deafening, and Merlin Athrawes stood very still, shoulders against the door he’d just closed behind him, sapphire eyes gazing intently through the fire-flickered dimness at the slender woman in the single chair beside that hearth.

The woman who had just called him “Ahbraim.”

Which, he reflected, made the question of how she’d managed to get by the alert sentinels guarding the Charisian Embassy here in the heart of Siddar City rather secondary.

The firelight struck subdued highlights from her dark hair, and the heavy, utilitarian coat hanging from his coat tree — like the boots and heavy woolen stockings she’d slipped from slim, pedicured feet and set before the fire — was soaked with melting snow. She was quite possibly the most beautiful woman he’d ever met and he could smell the subtle sweetness of her perfume, but neither of those were what held him so still.

“Why,” he asked after a moment, in a tone which sounded considerably calmer than he actually felt, “did you call me that, Madam Pahrsahn?” He cocked his head, expression puzzled. “I assume it’s a reference to Master Zhevons?”

“You really are very good,” Aivah Pahrsahn — who had once been known as Ahnzhelyk Phonda, among many other names — said approvingly. “Why, you could almost — almost, I say — convince me. But you can’t, you know. I’ve been watching you for too long.”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)
Post by SHV   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 am

SHV
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It's going to be along year.

Steve
Post by justtony   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:42 am

justtony
Midshipman

The first sample is always free.
Post by ksandgren   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 am

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks RFC!

While this doesn't move the story forward, it does help us deal with the ending of LAMA - for a few minutes anyway.
Post by pushmar   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 am

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

"I've been watching you too long."

Oh, she has, has she?

Let the cruel teasing begin! Mr. Weber, thanks, and I expect I'll speculate a bit about this. Too bad books take so long to write, but its beginning to look like it'll be worth the wait.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:11 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

WOW!

What 'cute or darling' mannerisms are we going to discover that Merlin and Ahbraim unconsciously share? ;)

Has OWL/Nahrmahn sent a red alert out to Nimue?

You know she's never going to let Merlin forget this.

Given where this can go, it gets more delicious by the minute.

Uno mas?

L

pushmar wrote:"I've been watching you too long."

Oh, she has, has she?

Let the cruel teasing begin! Mr. Weber, thanks, and I expect I'll speculate a bit about this. Too bad books take so long to write, but its beginning to look like it'll be worth the wait.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Chyort   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:38 am

Chyort
Lieutenant Commander

You leave a cliff hanger ending like you did...

Then taunt us with another 3 seconds of watching them dangle off the cliff edge.

All while telling us your not even close to done, so dont expect to see anymore for a long time...

That is just cruel. :P Well played good sir!
Post by Braudel26   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:24 am

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:...
The firelight struck subdued highlights from her dark hair, and the heavy, utilitarian coat hanging from his coat tree — like the boots and heavy woolen stockings she’d slipped from slim, pedicured feet and set before the fire — was soaked with melting snow. She was quite possibly the most beautiful woman he’d ever met and he could smell the subtle sweetness of her perfume, but neither of those were what held him so still.

Now that Nimue is here, Merlin definitely goes from his (?) female past to present "he"ness

Well thanks for the snippet, RFC, even if it was short. :)
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Ok thought here.

We heard rumors about SNARCS in control of the temple, the inquisitions rumored ability to monitor any conversation.

What if its not the inquisition that has control of the SNARCs but another descendant of an Arch Angle, one who was able to steal control of them from her Grand Vicar father.
Post by McGuiness   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

Aha! So I finally get something right in predicting that Merlin's body language and mannerisms gave him away. After all, Aivah has spent weeks with both Merlin and Ahbraim, and she's an expert at reading people.

I've got to admit, RFC wrote this scene much better than I did, but I was only giving an example, and nobody is going to publish anything I write anytime soon! :lol:

Glad I didn't have to wait a year to read this scene, although Merlin thinking that she's the most beautiful woman "he" has ever seen is indicative of how much he's identifying with his Merlin persona, although I doubt "he's" now attracted to women despite his night in her house of ill repute with the courtesan from Silk Town.

The interesting question now is how much of a give and take does Merlin hold out for? He could simply insist that all seijins have similar mannerisms - after all, Nimue is likely to have many of his mannerisms and much the same body language despite being a woman, and wouldn't that ruin Aivah's perfectly good theory! :lol:

Frankly, if Merlin doesn't dig out a bunch of info on Aivah's network as the price of admitting he's also Ahbraim and can take her to Zion as requested in a single day, he's giving too much away too easily...

Learning about her network might remove the doubts they've had so far that have prevented them from bringing her into the inner circle. She's got her own agenda, so find out what it is, and if her goals are compatible enough, by all means bring her in! I don't think that she'd have a problem with the CoGA being a complete fraud - it would probably fire up her thirst for revenge even more.

RFC may have other plans, so if it turns out that she's a true believer, they can't afford to lose her so Merlin's walking on eggshells here. He can't tell her how he moves so fast, and if he takes her along he'd have to drug her first. He and Cayleb would certainly have to be very careful that she doesn't overhear them having a group chat on a balcony some day!

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.

Return to Safehold