Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

Honorverse Long Range Exploration?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Long Range Exploration?
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:16 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

We know of 6 junctions, one of which (Felix) is still secret, plus one anomaly (the Twins) and one possible (Katherina).

The junctions are:

1. Manticore. 7 termini, one (Beowulf) in the league.

2. Erewhon 2 termini, one in the league

3. Asgerd 2 termini, both outside of the league

4. Felix (currently secret) 4 termini, none of which are known.

5. Visigoth (in the League) 2 termini one of which might be in the League.

6. Yildun (in the Shell) 2 termini, destinations unknown

7. Katherina (might be a junction, might not. The textev is ambiguous)
Post by SYED   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

I think there are around 200 wormholes out there, if only a few in the league, then i bet they mainly link verge areas and beyond.
While the military ships are blockading, they can map the terminii as much as possible, the raw data might be very valuable to scientists.
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:47 pm

KNick
Admiral

SYED wrote:I think there are around 200 wormholes out there, if only a few in the league, then i bet they mainly link verge areas and beyond.
While the military ships are blockading, they can map the terminii as much as possible, the raw data might be very valuable to scientists.

I doubt that there are that many wormholes out there. Dozens, possibly. We do not know if RMN or RHN ships routinely record the necessary sensor data in a new star system (or for that matter, an old one) to determine if the star has an attached wormhole. We also do not know if searching for a wormhole is a standard part of determining if a habitable planet is viable for colonization. How specialized is the equipment necessary to determine that fact? From Torch of Freedom, we know that the only reason that Harvest Joy was at Torch was because there was a rumor that there was a wormhole. Dr. Kare stated that the signs were there, but they were hard to see. If that is the case, there could be other wormholes equally hidden, waiting for a ship with the right equipment to come along.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by drothgery   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:57 pm

drothgery
Admiral

KNick wrote:
SYED wrote:I think there are around 200 wormholes out there, if only a few in the league, then i bet they mainly link verge areas and beyond.

I doubt that there are that many wormholes out there.
Out there as in 'mapped by humans', probably not. However, human-occupied space is a fairly small portion of one galaxy in the Honorverse.
Post by SWM   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:I doubt that there are that many wormholes out there. Dozens, possibly. We do not know if RMN or RHN ships routinely record the necessary sensor data in a new star system (or for that matter, an old one) to determine if the star has an attached wormhole. We also do not know if searching for a wormhole is a standard part of determining if a habitable planet is viable for colonization. How specialized is the equipment necessary to determine that fact? From Torch of Freedom, we know that the only reason that Harvest Joy was at Torch was because there was a rumor that there was a wormhole. Dr. Kare stated that the signs were there, but they were hard to see. If that is the case, there could be other wormholes equally hidden, waiting for a ship with the right equipment to come along.

As I recall, they knew for a fact that there was a wormhole in the Visigoth system. They just didn't know where it went, and didn't have Manpower's data on exactly where it was.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 pm

KNick
Admiral

SWM wrote:As I recall, they knew for a fact that there was a wormhole in the Visigoth system. They just didn't know where it went, and didn't have Manpower's data on exactly where it was.

Visigoth has a Junction of it's own. But yes, the government of Torch knew there was a wormhole in the system, but they did not know where it was. The data on it's location had never been entered into a database that ended up in the governments hands (or was scrubbed before it was captured). Harvest Joy had to re-locate and then survey the wormhole before transit.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

KNick wrote:

I doubt that there are that many wormholes out there. Dozens, possibly. We do not know if RMN or RHN ships routinely record the necessary sensor data in a new star system (or for that matter, an old one) to determine if the star has an attached wormhole. We also do not know if searching for a wormhole is a standard part of determining if a habitable planet is viable for colonization. How specialized is the equipment necessary to determine that fact? From Torch of Freedom, we know that the only reason that Harvest Joy was at Torch was because there was a rumor that there was a wormhole. Dr. Kare stated that the signs were there, but they were hard to see. If that is the case, there could be other wormholes equally hidden, waiting for a ship with the right equipment to come along.
The rumor was that the wormhole connected to a junction:
"Especially given the persistent rumors before the liberation that Torch was 'at least' a three-nexii junction. What you've just told us certainly agrees with everything official we've been able to find, but I can't find myself wondering where that specific number—three, I mean—came from in the first place."
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SWM   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:
SWM wrote:As I recall, they knew for a fact that there was a wormhole in the Visigoth system. They just didn't know where it went, and didn't have Manpower's data on exactly where it was.

Visigoth has a Junction of it's own. But yes, the government of Torch knew there was a wormhole in the system, but they did not know where it was. The data on it's location had never been entered into a database that ended up in the governments hands (or was scrubbed before it was captured). Harvest Joy had to re-locate and then survey the wormhole before transit.

Yeah, sorry. I meant Verdant Vista/Congo, not Visigoth. :oops:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse