Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Honorverse Long Range Exploration?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Long Range Exploration?
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I think the Honorverse could use another subject matter or story line. Are we going to see any short stories or related chapters/discussions about pure long range military or scientific explorations? Something through hyperspace and not using the Junctions? Perhaps this could be combined with the Manties needing to find out where Bolt Hole is? HB of CJ (old coot)
Re: Honorverse Long Range Exploration?
Post by SWM   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:32 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:I think the Honorverse could use another subject matter or story line. Are we going to see any short stories or related chapters/discussions about pure long range military or scientific explorations? Something through hyperspace and not using the Junctions? Perhaps this could be combined with the Manties needing to find out where Bolt Hole is? HB of CJ (old coot)

Well, the Manties don't need to find out where Bolthole is any more. Haven is telling them and bringing some of the best Manticoran researchers out there.

As to whether we will ever see a short story about deep-space exploration, who knows? We are seldom told what stories are coming up.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:I think the Honorverse could use another subject matter or story line. Are we going to see any short stories or related chapters/discussions about pure long range military or scientific explorations? Something through hyperspace and not using the Junctions? Perhaps this could be combined with the Manties needing to find out where Bolt Hole is? HB of CJ (old coot)

See above post re: Bolthole.

As for the other... it's called Manticore Ascendant and the first novel comes out in October. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by munroburton   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Having watched a few documentaries on the universe recently, I wonder if a scientific expedition in the honorverse has ever gone to a black hole to study it as closely as possible, including sending probes in.

The problem with writing such expeditions into the story is, MWW can't possibly know the results of them. All he can do is make up stuff - which he has, with wormholes and hyperspace.

On a slight tangent, did any try to recover the Voyager probes and return them to a museum? Or are they still coasting through the Oort cloud?
Post by pushmar   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:02 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

I'll bet the Voyager probes (and any other's before the diaspora) as well as the Apollo moon landing sites, etc, are a type of National Heritage Sites, and protected by law.
Post by The E   » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 am

The E
Admiral

munroburton wrote:Having watched a few documentaries on the universe recently, I wonder if a scientific expedition in the honorverse has ever gone to a black hole to study it as closely as possible, including sending probes in.

Problem is, the nearest black hole we know of, 404 Cygni, is about 7800 light years away. Not an insurmountable distance to be sure, given Honorverse Tech, but you'd still be looking at a several year expedition spent almost entirely in Hyper.
Post by Braudel26   » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:11 am

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:

See above post re: Bolthole.

As for the other... it's called Manticore Ascendant and the first novel comes out in October. :D

?? Hello. I've read the eArc of A call to duty the first volume of Manticore Ascendant ... I liked it very much but I've not seen any long range military or scientific explorations in it. Is it something to come in the second volume ?
Post by munroburton   » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:35 am

munroburton
Admiral

The E wrote:
munroburton wrote:Having watched a few documentaries on the universe recently, I wonder if a scientific expedition in the honorverse has ever gone to a black hole to study it as closely as possible, including sending probes in.

Problem is, the nearest black hole we know of, 404 Cygni, is about 7800 light years away. Not an insurmountable distance to be sure, given Honorverse Tech, but you'd still be looking at a several year expedition spent almost entirely in Hyper.

Yup.

The other long range expedition I can think of is heading up and away from the plane of the galaxy for twenty or forty thousand light years... to see what the Milky Way really looks like from outside. A macro version of the Family Portrait picture.
Post by phillies   » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 am

phillies
Admiral

The problem with writing such expeditions into the story is, MWW can't possibly know the results of them. All he can do is make up stuff - which he has, with wormholes and hyperspace.

On a slight tangent, did any try to recover the Voyager probes and return them to a museum? Or are they still coasting through the Oort cloud?

There is a simpler reason for very long range exploration. We are the well-to-do but not quite enough world of On-the-OFS-List. We realize that bad things are going to happen in another century. However we have a farsighted government, benevolent billionaires, self-sacrificing religious types -- hey, this is science fiction -- and we plan something that will be a very well-developed colony, a thousand light years out. But first we select a really favorable group of worlds and put very small colonies on each one, to see which colonies die of plague, are eaten by Godzilla, are attacked by monsters from the Id, etc.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:13 pm

munroburton
Admiral

The E wrote:Problem is, the nearest black hole we know of, 404 Cygni, is about 7800 light years away. Not an insurmountable distance to be sure, given Honorverse Tech, but you'd still be looking at a several year expedition spent almost entirely in Hyper.

Went and looked up apparent velocities for various hyper bands. A vessel using the zeta band could travel ~2,500 light years in one year. Using the theta band increases this to 3,500. At this latter speed, a round trip to 404 Cygni takes four and a half years - if they spent six months surveying, it would be a perfect five-year mission. They can use known wormholes to shorten their voyage somewhat.

Aside from a minimum crew(perhaps on a rotational basis), most of the expedition personnel could travel in cryo storage.

Heh. I just pictured such an expedition departing early in 1921. Arriving home in '26, they would find... a very interesting new universe. Some of the crew would wonder whether they'd actually gone through the black hole into a parallel reality!

Return to Honorverse