Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

References, Winks & Nods to Other Works? (SPOILERS LIKELY)

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
References, Winks & Nods to Other Works? (SPOILERS LIKELY)
Post by Crom   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Crom
Midshipman

I'm really enjoying the Empire of Man series on audio book. Thank you Mr. Weber and Mr. Ringo!

I'm midway through We Few and having fun with all the popular fiction and "Old Earth history" references sprinkled throughout the series. I'm sure I've missed many, since the audio books don't automatically pause for me to ponder them like I would were reading a physical copy of the book.

One reference that comes to mind is Honal piloting his sting ship with the call sign Red Six, which sounds like a nod to Luke Skywalker's Red Five from Star Wars.

I would LOVE to read the references that others have found. If we could compile them all it would be a darn fun read.

Thanks.
Re: References, Winks & Nods to Other Works? (SPOILERS LIKEL
Post by Bruce   » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Bruce
Midshipman

You think that's a Star Wars reference? Wait until you get to book 4.

Not much of a spoiler, but the commanding admiral of the Imperial Navy's Sixth Fleet is a baron, known for his dark demeanor, who's name is Helmut.

He is known as Dark Helmut, Lord of the Sixth.
Post by saber964   » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

Bruce wrote:You think that's a Star Wars reference? Wait until you get to book 4.

Not much of a spoiler, but the commanding admiral of the Imperial Navy's Sixth Fleet is a baron, known for his dark demeanor, who's name is Helmut.

There is also a referance to the book Silence of the Lambs in book #4.
Post by mark   » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:01 am

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Bruce wrote:You think that's a Star Wars reference? Wait until you get to book 4.

that's no star wars reference, that one is directly from spaceballs, a much better movie :lol:
Post by Caseyorourke   » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:18 am

Caseyorourke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

You talking about this guy? :lol:
Post by chrisd   » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bruce wrote:He is known as Dark Helmut, Lord of the Sixth.

"Helmut, speaking for Boskone,"
Post by jtg452   » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Doc Dobresceu constant complaining, "I'm a shuttle pilot, not a (insert job here)," sounds familiar somehow. ;)

Then there's the scene in March to the Stars where he suddenly shows up at the Shin village right after the big attack, surprising Cord and Despereaux and says, "I said I have no use for a civan, not that I couldn't ride one." I always thought that line was a nod to Tom Selleck in the climatic scene of Quigley Down Under.
Post by Lunan   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:34 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

The audiobooks are very solid. read by one of the best readers in that business. enjoy

Crom wrote:I'm really enjoying the Empire of Man series on audio book. Thank you Mr. Weber and Mr. Ringo!

I'm midway through We Few and having fun with all the popular fiction and "Old Earth history" references sprinkled throughout the series. I'm sure I've missed many, since the audio books don't automatically pause for me to ponder them like I would were reading a physical copy of the book.

One reference that comes to mind is Honal piloting his sting ship with the call sign Red Six, which sounds like a nod to Luke Skywalker's Red Five from Star Wars.

I would LOVE to read the references that others have found. If we could compile them all it would be a darn fun read.

Thanks.
Post by jtg452   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Crom wrote:I'm really enjoying the Empire of Man series on audio book. Thank you Mr. Weber and Mr. Ringo!

Thanks.

I'm certain that any resemblance between the big green 4 armed, bipedal Mardukan warriors and the big, green, 4 armed, bipedal Green Martians of the John Carter series is purely a coincidence.

Yep, the civan riders of Therdan and the Tharks of John Carter's Barsoom are nothing alike.

And Dogzard bears no resemblance to Woola, too.
Post by Starsaber   » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

jtg452 wrote:I'm certain that any resemblance between the big green 4 armed, bipedal Mardukan warriors and the big, green, 4 armed, bipedal Green Martians of the John Carter series is purely a coincidence.

Yep, the civan riders of Therdan and the Tharks of John Carter's Barsoom are nothing alike.

And Dogzard bears no resemblance to Woola, too.

I did notice that when I saw the John Carter movie.

Return to Empire of Man