Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Suggested reading order…?

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Suggested reading order…?
Post by NikhilN   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 pm

NikhilN
Midshipman

Hi there,

(I expected to find this info in the FAQ, but no sign of it…)

I've read a few other series by David, but I'm new to Starfire. I gather Insurrection was the first book published, but I get the impression it's the fourth, rather than the first, in the series. Could someone clarify, please - which one would you suggest I start with?

Also, am I right to assume you don't need to know anything about the Starfire game to enjoy these?

Thanks,

Nikhil.
Re: Suggested reading order…?
Post by mark   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

NikhilN wrote:Hi there,

(I expected to find this info in the FAQ, but no sign of it…)

I've read a few other series by David, but I'm new to Starfire. I gather Insurrection was the first book published, but I get the impression it's the fourth, rather than the first, in the series. Could someone clarify, please - which one would you suggest I start with?

Also, am I right to assume you don't need to know anything about the Starfire game to enjoy these?

Thanks,

Nikhil.

Hi,

The usual order (chonological in-universe) would be my recommendation:

Crusade, In death ground, The shiva option, Insurrection, Exodus, Extremis.

Different reading orders will probably work, although In death ground and The shiva option are really one book split in two parts, as are Exodus and Extremis.

E-book versions of all but the last one can be found at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ on the Mission of Honor CD.

(Don't forget to actually buy a version of the books if you like them, of course)

Mark.
Post by NikhilN   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 pm

NikhilN
Midshipman

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for that - both the order and the download link.

Seems odd that In Death Ground and The Shiva Option are split between the Stars At War I and II, if they're so much like one book in two parts... but I suppose there's only so many ways you can put four books into two volumes!

BTW, you didn't mention if any foreknowledge of the Starfire game universe is needed, but I presume not.

Cheers,

Nikhil.
Post by KNick   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:44 pm

KNick
Admiral

NikhilN wrote:Hi Mark,
<<SNIP>>
BTW, you didn't mention if any foreknowledge of the Starfire game universe is needed, but I presume not.

Cheers,

Nikhil.

I had never heard of Starfire when I read the First book. In fact, I didn't even own or use a computer or play board games. I found them to be very readable without that foundation. I still don't play those kinds of games and still enjoy the books.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Montrose Toast   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:46 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

What you get from the earlier Starfire games is the earlier wars in outline form and the significant battles.
Khanenite vs Earth [2 wars - starting with small ships]
Rigel vs everybody [1 war - carriers and fighters added]

They are small blurbs with each battle that give you a feel for the course of those 3 wars.

I haven't played the later versions.
I started playing the earlier versions in IS A School 1981. Never had the time for the later versions...

http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Cataphract   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Cataphract
Midshipman

You were discussing that the Starfire Games gave you Federation vs Khanate 1&2 and then the Rigellian War. Don't forget it also gave you Khanate vs Gorm, which is very interesting.
Post by 61Cygni   » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:23 pm

61Cygni
Commander

I'm still puzzled about the recommendation to read Insurrection after the other three Weber-White novels. Is this something suggested by Weber and White themselves, or are people (and Baen) just putting it in "proper" order simply because it covers events after those of the other three novels. Not sure I like this idea (it's much like the Narnia tales being collected in their "proper" order, even though the true first story is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe). I hardly think Weber and White said back when Insurrection was first released "Hey, don't read this yet because there are three more books coming which take place before this one" (for that matter, were any more books even planned at that time?). It was the first book published, shouldn't it be the first one read?
Post by mark   » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:09 am

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

61Cygni wrote:I'm still puzzled about the recommendation to read Insurrection after the other three Weber-White novels. Is this something suggested by Weber and White themselves, or are people (and Baen) just putting it in "proper" order simply because it covers events after those of the other three novels. Not sure I like this idea (it's much like the Narnia tales being collected in their "proper" order, even though the true first story is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe). I hardly think Weber and White said back when Insurrection was first released "Hey, don't read this yet because there are three more books coming which take place before this one" (for that matter, were any more books even planned at that time?). It was the first book published, shouldn't it be the first one read?

Let's put it this way: Insurrection and Crusade are quite readable as stand-alone books. the combination of In death ground and the shiva option also works relatively well as stand-alone series, but it is useful to have read at least one of the first two books for background info. Exodus and Extremis should really be read after Insurrection, as there are many references to events in that book.

Hope this answers the reading order question a bit more thoroughly.
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed May 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I read them in the order of Insurrection, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, Crusade, Exodus, and Extremis.

Really I think any order will work as long as the two duologies (In Death's Ground/The Shiva Option and Exodus/Extremis are read in the proper orders.)
Post by earsmus22   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:50 pm

earsmus22
Midshipman

I read it slightly out of order, but I think it's actually a good order:

In Death Ground
The Shiva Option
Crusade
Insurrection
Excodus
Extremis

The reason I recommend IDG and TSO first is that they are so epic and so full of action that you get sucked right into the series screaming "MORE! MORE!".

Return to Starfire