Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Books are Too Short

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: Books are Too Short
Post by goglen   » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:38 pm

goglen
Ensign

Spacekiwi wrote:I find myself unable to read lots of books more than once or twice as I can remember the plot too well, and so they dont interest me anymore, and so that cuts down my reading options.

Odd, because when I read a book, I comprehend it enough that I cannot read it for at least a decade.

That said, I read fast enough, but find David's books too long.

It's like he's trying to make them unnecessarily long - like the Stars At War, the war with the Arachnids (bugs) is just dragging on, and getting too predictable.

Humanity makes a gain, gets slammed back. Hunker down, overly defend the portal... then yet another slam from a different direction (portal). Over and over. Everything that can go wrong, seems to. I'm frustrated, on the 2nd book, and just.want.the.story.to.end.

Same with the Multiverse - anything that can harm the "good guys", just keep happening over and over. Out of the Dark was the same way, until the "magical" ending.

I'd rather a tight story, without many paragraphs of sometimes non-sequitur. Well, sometimes they're related, but completely irrelevant to the story -- hypothetical example: Character puts on a shoe. That should be all. However, then he looks down and sees a scuff mark on the shoe, then a couple of pages of a camping trip long ago on how that shoe got scuffed. Then, comparing that camping trip to the most wonderful trip he ever took...

Then, he stood up, and walked over to the viewscreen to "answer the phone". Camping trip was irrelevant to the story.
Post by Skywatcher44   » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Skywatcher44
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time novels. They are actually perfect for 1000 wpm readers, because they are 80 percent useless descriptions of clothing and expressions, so the plot moves along at a normal pace for the average reader of the average book.

Problem solved!
Post by KNick   » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

KNick
Admiral

Skywatcher44 wrote:Read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time novels. They are actually perfect for 1000 wpm readers, because they are 80 percent useless descriptions of clothing and expressions, so the plot moves along at a normal pace for the average reader of the average book.

Problem solved!

Because of that 80% description, I just quit reading the entire series. To each his own. Welcome to the forums. I hope you have some fun here.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I too find the books too short, of course I prefer to read a series not from the time book one comes out, while I'm almost caught up with this series, except for the extra books which i'm only half way through, although have read all the torch ones I still missed the Chicago series which suddenly made some of the later books rather confusing.

I would love to get a large book, I have one large 35 lbs book which is a real pain to carry around but would love to have all of the Weber Harrington related books under one cover. Which, unless I get permission for a one off, I will likely setup with my Sony tap 20 and the eBook versions.

Since moving I have only unpacked one of these Weber books, a Rising Thunder, which I have read cover to cover four times, and chapters alone several dozen times, finding new stuff each time.

(I have 10,000+ books boxed up in my Garage). Park my big car outside.

Thinking I should sell them all and go the eBook route.

I'm currently reading 40 or 50 books. I get a bit cluttered sometimes but I have a pretty good memory and remember the basic premise of every book I have read even the first one on sail planes, how to fly sail planes, thermals and all that I read when I was 9. First real book. Yeah I remember reading and learning to read those kids books when I was a little kid, encyclopedias and totally wrong dinosaurs books.

Luckily I don't remember everything and I can tune boring things out like physics. Only wish I could remember names better.
Post by kbus888   » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:20 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2013-10-26=
Hi LordSkimper

I also ran out of shelf space for my books.

That's one of the main reasons I bought an ebook reader (Kindle in my case)

Now, in addition to reading my ebooks on my reader, I also can read them on all my regular computers since I have downloaded the (free) ebook reader software and installed it on each of my machines.

I like my stories in electronic form enough that I have even bought a second copy of some of my favourites just to be able to re-read them anywhere I happen to be.

There is no way I have either the physical space nor the arm strength to carry over 350 "dead tree" books everywhere I go :D

I re-read stories quite often and multiple times and now I can indulge this habit to my heart's content !!

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by WLBjork   » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 pm

WLBjork
Commander

Oops, forgotten I had created an account :shock:

Just gone on to my 3rd Kindle (must be overuse! :lol:)

The chap in question was trying to see how it worked, but didn't say anything until later...

Return to David's Dimension