Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Sequel news!

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Sequel news!
Post by John Prigent   » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:28 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Wow! I am not alone!
Cheers
John

biochem wrote:
All I can say is that I spotted the likely salvation f Earth about halfway through my first read of the book. There are plenty of giveaway lines that point to classical vampires. That's 'classical' not Bram Stoker's version.
Cheers
John

I'll agree with John on this. I was also suspecting vampires at that same point he did. I read a lot of fantasy as well, so the hints were fairly obvious to me.
Post by kbus888   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi guys

Such an unusual ending !!!

I would LOVE to read a sequel to this story !!!

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by chasrob   » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:55 pm

chasrob
Midshipman

Any sequel news?

I like Webers try at "near future" spec fic.
Post by KNick   » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12 pm

KNick
Admiral

chasrob wrote:Any sequel news?

I like Webers try at "near future" spec fic.

Other than the fact that we know from MWW that he signed a contract to do a sequel, we don't have a clue as to when it will come out. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy!!
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

dwatts13 wrote:I won't be reading this one, thank you. I like my science fiction to be SCIENCE fiction. I don't care how far you have to stretch the edges to make it fit, but give a science explanation. Having a twilight dawn experience to finish (up to that point) an outstanding book about cultural disconnects and asymetric warfare really just ruined the whole experience. I did NOT find the paperback cover to be enlightening enough and because of my fondness for Mr Weber's science fiction - I didn't read the back anyway until in my confusion at the appearance of a fantasy character I did a quick check. I have no problem with reading fantasy and fantasy characters, but let's keep the genres separate. There were (in the scope of the book) at least a half dozen or more possible science fiction routes that could have been taken to finish this book, but why Mr Weber would imagine that a reader that has identified with the struggles and accomplishments of multiple military characters to defend humanity would want a "vampire?" to suddenly be mankinds salvation from the aliens is just beyond me. As others have written the biggest disappointment is the "cute" way that he purposely sprang the "surprise" ending on the readers without backstory or development aka Mr Shyamalan. In this I am showing my regard for Mr Weber as I don't believe that he would use such a ploy to finish a story he was "stuck" on just to satisfy a deadline with a publisher.
In the end though the story was great until Vlad the Impaler becomes the solution and then it stunk, overall ruined the whole storyline and guaranteed itself on my do not read list for further developments.

Skipped reading his post, look forward to new book. Good thing we never know what to expect form RFC
Post by SYED   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

The humans could have spread the educating tech far and wide, then using their new knowledge to hack their systems.

Could the vampires be the virus kind, like in the Underworld series?

What if the poison gas only killed vegetarians, humans as unique omni/carnivore status instead reacted in a different manner?

I wonder if there are other supernatural creatures hidden in the world, now that camps are going to the stars, they might show themselves.

This is not the only sci fi book with vamps dealing with aliens, something similar happened in one occasion in john ringo's legacy of the aldeta series.
Post by Aikimatt   » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:22 am

Aikimatt
Midshipman

I really enjoyed the book it had an interesting spin and evolved in line for a sequel . Looking forward to the next installment. Hope the Hegemony is ready for mankind. Great job David. Need more to read. Read all of the others.
Post by hulagu   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 pm

hulagu
Midshipman

John Prigent wrote:DW has tweeted that he's signed up for a sequel!
Cheers
John

I think that's great.

I guess I came to Weber Novels from a different route - 1632 et all and Flint & Ringo co-books.

Do I get "BANNED" or something for admitting I've read & reread 22 Weber Novels and none of the Honorverse?

This thread being on "Out of The Dark" It is one of my favorites.

The real "Vlad" as taught in school was "Barbaric" but that was against a brutally ruthless enemy, where he was ...effective.

There being plenty of Vampire books & movies, that's not what I found in the book.

I'm ranting: I see a great deal of opportunity for expansion, and only a little of that is the "What are the characteristics' of Vlad's special ops.

Hulagu

Baghdad - 1258
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:16 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

John Prigent wrote:All I can say is that I spotted the likely salvation f Earth about halfway through my first read of the book. There are plenty of giveaway lines that point to classical vampires. That's 'classical' not Bram Stoker's version.
Cheers
John

I guess that I don't read enough fantasy. I certainly didn't spot the clues until quite late in the book. Still I will read the sequel when it comes out, but given David's current schedule, it might take as long as the third book in the Multiverse series - and I have to say, I would rather he finished the current arc in the Honorverse, and the Safehold series, and the War God series before returning to this universe to do a sequel.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by xrayangiodoc   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:20 am

xrayangiodoc
Ensign

I certainly enjoyed the book and loved the ending but I have to wonder, How many balls can DW juggle at once?!!

Return to Out of the Dark