Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 56 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 am

namelessfly

I have visions of the Protector and his family becoming enamored with the cute, cuddly, furry Nimitz sitting in a child's hair chair at rhe table.

They are then impressed by his intellect when Nimitz uses his extended talons to delicately slice and dice his steak then fastidiously eats it.

They are further impressed when he demonstrates an understanding of language by appropriately to the conversation.

In addition to Nimitz going for the assasins' eyes and throats, show him very deliberately going for the groin then the victim's agonized response. This guy can be the sole survivor who is seen whimpering in pain, clutching the shredded remnants of his genitals as the responders tend to a gravely wounded Honor Harrington.

DrakBibliophile wrote:Oh I don't know. Think of the "fun" of when this "Jar-Jar" Nimitz goes "Old Testament" on the assassins at the Protector's Dinner. :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, I hate characters that exist only to be laughed at but I enjoy humorous characters that can be seriously deadly when it's called for. ;)

Grabthar's Hammer wrote:
It's marvelous to hear about the progress to date, congratulations for your endeavours, may they reap a fruitful harvest.

But.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please DON'T, let them Jar-Jar Binksify, Nimitz.
Post by jchilds   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:Oh I don't know. Think of the "fun" of when this "Jar-Jar" Nimitz goes "Old Testament" on the assassins at the Protector's Dinner. :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, I hate characters that exist only to be laughed at but I enjoy humorous characters that can be seriously deadly when it's called for. ;)

Grabthar's Hammer wrote:
It's marvelous to hear about the progress to date, congratulations for your endeavours, may they reap a fruitful harvest.

But.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please DON'T, let them Jar-Jar Binksify, Nimitz.

Can we feed this version of a 'cat celery lasagna and get Jar-Jarfield then?
Post by 61Cygni   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm

61Cygni
Commander

Werrf wrote:There is a space between "fantasy nonsense" and "completely accurate in every detail". It's known, at least in some circles, as the Mohs Scale of Science Fiction hardness. I put the Honorverse at a solid 3 or 4 (somewhere between "Physics plus" and "One big lie"). Doctor Who is a solid 1 ("Science in genre only"), and Star Trek just about scrapes a 2.

I have to wonder, though, if the Honorverse's tech is not what you like, why are you reading them?

Because there is much else to like about them, starting with the characters. The magic tech by itself isn't solely going to turn me off, just saw it as a lost oppurtunity. And to give Weber some credit, at least there aren't any Trek-style transporters (what do you call being broken down into sub-atomic particles? Death :D). Also, I love the graphic descriptions of the ship combat in the early books, all those high-powered energy weapons wreaking the same kind of havoc that cannonballs and grapeshot did on the wooden ships of the Age Of Sail, where "splinters" caused most of te injuries and deaths. It's unfortunate that we're probably not going to see that kind of stuff in the movie as a PG-13 rating will be desired. Lots of the usual shaky cam and sparking consoles instead, grrrr...I want R-rated combat! :)
Post by crewdude48   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

61Cygni wrote:It's unfortunate that we're probably not going to see that kind of stuff in the movie as a PG-13 rating will be desired. Lots of the usual shaky cam and sparking consoles instead, grrrr...I want R-rated combat! :)

For the record, if there is unnecessary shaky cam, i will only see this once in the theater. Sparking consoles, colored ships, incorrect accents, those I can live with, <rant> but recent movies have had FAR to much shuddering. If I watch them in 3D, I get seasick. You don't need shaky cam for filming a conversation in an office building unless the BUILDING IS SHAKING!! When a tank is driving next to you, ok, but SITING ON A BENCH, THINKING ABOUT STUFF??? NOT OK!!</rant>
Post by Seawolf509   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:They certainly proved the concept of combat at realistic range in the movie Battleship. I loved Wrath of Kahn but it set a horrible precedent for the Star Trek genre.

Sorry Namelessfly Battleship was even worse than Wrath of Kahn for ranges. The Big Mo and the alien ship were in 50 cal range of each other when they started firing the 16" guns that were designed to engage the enemy while miles apart. At least in WoK it was due to the interence of the sensors that lead to the short ranges. (Sorry Battleship was just so bad a movie. Niether side could detect each other outside of visual range but the CWIS and AIM-120 were able to see and lock on to the weapons of the aliens)

Follow up when DDG was engaging using missles and the buoys. Ship was firing Harpoon missiles which have sensors on them to initiate a terminal pop up manuver to hit the target when it senses it. Since alien ship can't be seen no way for missle to hit. Only way could have worked would be if they fire tomahawk missiles using a GPS target. Yes it a movie and it does not have to be close to reality but if you going to use current military hardware there should be some degree of realism IMO of course.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Another point that established fans are going to have to deal with will undoubtedly be the physical appearance of the ships......

Because of this, there’s going to be a significant degree of “reimagining” the ships, although I think I can guarantee that the redesign process won’t step on the established physics of the Honorverse.

(Grimace!) TBH this is what concerns me the most. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done, but I can see I'm not the only fan who has some qualms about this. :(

Once the graphic novels and the the film come out, the visual design will supersede anything that's been published so far, specifically what's in HoS, which is a shame since it'll invalidate what BuNine have done so far and undoubtably lead to another set of redesigns to make everything consistant between the genres. Unless we end up with "Franchise Canon" and "Novel Canon" with the two being related but not identical with BuNine's designs still being valid for the books but not the other media?

I guess I'm being a little down on this as I was planning on building a model of a Saganami-C/Burleson CA using the HoS graphics but I'm not sure whether to continue or not since the design will probably end up obsolete! :(

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by Neitz   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Neitz
BuNine

runsforcelery wrote:Another point that established fans are going to have to deal with will undoubtedly be the physical appearance of the ships......

Because of this, there’s going to be a significant degree of “reimagining” the ships, although I think I can guarantee that the redesign process won’t step on the established physics of the Honorverse.

Since I first heard about the movie project in October 2011, I have been wondering if they will also do a bit of “reimagining” with RMN uniforms, with production designers saying about the existing designs: "that doesn't really read well on the screen."

Which will mean that TRMN members like myself may someday need to decide to keep our "classic uniform" or change our impression to "movie version uniforms." :?

We'll see!
-
WESTMARCH
http://BatRon21.org

MANTICON IS COMING!
Post by petercharters   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 pm

petercharters
Captain (Junior Grade)

Obviously some things won't work as per the books.

I'd say that the conventional visible lasers, noise in vacuum and so on will have to happen most of the time, just to keep up with audience expectations. Noise can always be turned off for a few seconds here and there for dramatic effect when it makes sense (long distance views of damage and so on). Think of it as transplanting the interior noise onto the exterior shot, if you like.

Missile flight times will have to be reduced unless you want several minutes of standing around waiting... but they don't have to be vastly crippled. Treat them like torpedos in submarine movies. You see the launch, you see them in transit, you see final approach and impact with a cut away now and again to crew firing anti-missiles etc. It could be done very well and very dramatically.

Communications is where everything is going to have to completely change. FTL comms will have to be in there from day one. Nobody wants to sit and wait for ten minutes between each line of a conversation. Sure, it's a major plot issue in the books, but in film I suggest it's just glossed over quietly. You could show the delay by skipping into "superfast" motion where the bridge speed is accelerated 100x and everyone runs around like crazy for a few seconds, or you could just cut to a clock and jump it forward between responses, but in movie terms that seems to me to be very forced and artificial.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Neitz wrote:

Since I first heard about the movie project in October 2011, I have been wondering if they will also do a bit of “reimagining” with RMN uniforms, with production designers saying about the existing designs: "that doesn't really read well on the screen."

Which will mean that TRMN members like myself may someday need to decide to keep our "classic uniform" or change our impression to "movie version uniforms." :?

We'll see!

I bet the high ranking officer uniform on film will look snazzy as hell......
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Michael Riddell wrote:

(Grimace!) TBH this is what concerns me the most. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done, but I can see I'm not the only fan who has some qualms about this. :(

Once the graphic novels and the the film come out, the visual design will supersede anything that's been published so far, specifically what's in HoS, which is a shame since it'll invalidate what BuNine have done so far and undoubtably lead to another set of redesigns to make everything consistant between the genres. Unless we end up with "Franchise Canon" and "Novel Canon" with the two being related but not identical with BuNine's designs still being valid for the books but not the other media?

I guess I'm being a little down on this as I was planning on building a model of a Saganami-C/Burleson CA using the HoS graphics but I'm not sure whether to continue or not since the design will probably end up obsolete! :(

Mike. :)

I have a feeling it'll be as you said - Franchise Canon and Novel Canon.

At least I hope so. I'd hate to think I've just spent 6-7 years "building" the (CA) Fearless (twice), the Mk 28 Condor pinnace (again, twice), missiles, and other stuff, just to have to toss it in a couple years and restart.

It's not like I ever expected anything I've done to end up onscreen in some form. More than likely, *nothing* I've done will show up, even as a rebuild from Evergreen's art department. <shrug> No skin off my back. I'm realistic enough to understand how this sort of thing works and have no problems with it.

Return to Honorverse