Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by clancy688   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:They certainly proved the concept of combat at realistic range in the movie Battleship.

:lol:
Post by 61Cygni   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 pm

61Cygni
Commander

Hutch wrote:
Orangesky wrote: 2. In most scifi movies the battles are fought 10 metres apart between ships. This is done to get them in one frame and show the sparkling action.

This is also not necessary. If you look at submarine movies, such as Hunt for Red October and in my opinion the best one Das Boot, they do not usually show the opposing ship in one frame.

Tension and action can be generated without the ships being in viewing distance of each other and works very well. They show the actions of one ship and then the effect of these actions on the other. Personally, I believe that such submarine movie style action would be appropriate for the Honorverse.

No disagreement here, I'm sure they'll have to find a method of shortening the minutes it takes the missiles to reach detonation range, but that's for the script writers to worry about.

This style lends itself well to the type of weapons the Honorverse has:

Missiles are visible and can be shown when fired and when they impact. The rest of the time they are shown on a plot, which the characters look at on the bridge.

Not impossible, but I'd be willing to bet a dirham or two that you see the missiles in transist, see them getting blowed up by counter-missiles (which we also see) and seeing them detonate--if you're going to grab an audience that by and large haven't read the books (and whose grasp of physics is shaky at best), you need them to visually see the things, not just dots on a tac board.

Lasers, Grasers etc. are invisible in vacuum. A firing sequence can be shown as a glowing point on the hull. The beam itself would be invisible. Then the enemy ship is shown. When the beam passes through its side walls, it can become visible (just the end of it where it passes through them) and the impact.

You are undoubtedly correct. And I would be willing to wager another dirham that the beams will be visible and accompanied by sound effects--again, sacrificing physical realities to tell the story in a dramatic, visual way.

And I find that I am ok with that.

Good first post, please continue. We seem to have added a number of new posters here recently. Enjoy yourselves and keep bringing new ideas up.

First of all, the Honorverse is fantasy space opera, not hard SF or a realistic take on the genre, so I don't mind the usual space opera movie conventions being used e.g. plenty of loud explosions, visibile beam weapons, etc.. It's called artistic or dramatic license.

Second, as RFC said, the movie is being made not just for diehard fanboys, but to appeal to a wider audience while still pleasing the regular fans. With that in mind, something will have to be done with the long ranges involved with missile combat, as the many minutes being the launching of missiles and their reaching a target simply can NOT be shown in real-time, and you also can't show people standing around watching a display plot for lengthy periods of time in a movie. Sure, smart editing can help with the problem, but I still see either the combat ranges being decreased or missile speed being greatly increased or probably both.
Post by rdt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

rdt
Commodore

Taurus2 wrote:RFC, is there anything you can tell us about how the various nation's ships will look and be differentiated? Or is that tightly under wraps?

What? They don't even have a first draft script yet and you are worrying about how to tell one star-nation's ships from another? No script, no cast, is there even a budget and financing, and here you want to get into the nitty details? Oy!
Post by rdt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm

rdt
Commodore

Steampunk spaceships. Love it!
Spacekiwi wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Edit: I wonder if they're somehow going to make the Grayson ships look 'old fashioned' while still being identifiable as destroyers or cruisers.

Steam funnels? ......

:D
Post by rdt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

rdt
Commodore

Film composers need a script to work with to start. Then they need film to work with for timing. Then they need...well, you get it. There are a number of young and very talented film composers working in H'wood these days, almost like in the 30's and 40's when all the musicians fleeing the Nazis came to town. When, or if, this movie gets made you canbe sure that a pretty good score will accompany it.
jchilds wrote:Has there been any work done on getting a composer yet or are we too early in the whole process for that? It'd be a shame to get an otherwise great movie with a relatively bland, mostly forgettable, formulaic soundtrack that doesn't do the material justice.

For that matter, a good composer can probably help provide some of the recognition cues for the ships without totally butchering the existing visual aesthetic.

Anybody have suggestions/preferences?
Post by rdt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

rdt
Commodore

Relax wrote:Movie better be longer than RFC's stated 90min or its a guaranteed flop or at best mediocre. Name one good movie that is this short? One that isn't a cartoon anyways.

Actually the Swedes (Yellow Bird in particular) are making wonderful 90 minute films for TV. Each one is a gem. See the Irene Huss ones from the Helene Tursten crime novels and the Annika Bengtzon ones with Malin Crepin.
Ref: http://www.mhznetworks.org/

But you are correct as far as HoQ is concerned. It should be at least 120 - 150 minutes. Oh, my sore butt...
Post by Werrf   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

61Cygni wrote:First of all, the Honorverse is fantasy space opera, not hard SF or a realistic take on the genre, so I don't mind the usual space opera movie conventions being used e.g. plenty of loud explosions, visibile beam weapons, etc.. It's called artistic or dramatic license.

Can't say that I agree with you on the hardness of the Honorverse - it may not be up to 2001 levels of hardness, it's a heck of a lot harder than, say, Star Trek or Doctor Who, and there's a solid effort to maintain realism in most aspects of the story that don't rely on unknown physics. One of the selling points of the Honorverse for me was the long range of combat, the listing of ship speeds in accelerations, the thoroughly worked out mechanics of the wedge, etc. Letting all that go for the sake of loud explosions would probably come under the heading of "Hollywood version of the Honorverse" that RFC specifically denied earlier.

61Cygni wrote:With that in mind, something will have to be done with the long ranges involved with missile combat, as the many minutes being the launching of missiles and their reaching a target simply can NOT be shown in real-time, and you also can't show people standing around watching a display plot for lengthy periods of time in a movie. Sure, smart editing can help with the problem, but I still see either the combat ranges being decreased or missile speed being greatly increased or probably both.

By all means we can fudge the speed of missile combat. I'd expect to see the first salvos fired at something close to real speed, to give us time for plenty of dramatic close-ups and fingers flashing across keyboards, counter missiles, etc, then let follow up salvos come in faster. Editing can handle most of that quite smartly.
Post by rdt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm

rdt
Commodore

clancy688 wrote:
namelessfly wrote:They certainly proved the concept of combat at realistic range in the movie Battleship.

:lol:

Oh, stop it! Besides, only 3 people saw that film.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

rdt wrote:But you are correct as far as HoQ is concerned. It should be at least 120 - 150 minutes. Oh, my sore butt...

It needs to be as long as it needs to be to make the book work as a screenplay. Huge chunks of the book will either disappear or be lightly touched on.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I cannot comment on Battleship as I have not seen the movie, but based on other comments I take it you were being...less than candid? ;)

I loved Wrath of Khan but it set a horrible precedent for the Star Trek genre.

Indeed, going back to the TV series and all subsequent movies, apparently engagement ranges haven't improved in centuries...

And the other major franchise (Star Wars) is just as bad, the only actions we've seen tend to be the up-close and personal types (hasn't anybody been working on stand-off long-range weapons in all these millenia?). Not to mention their battles are sloppy, unorganized brawls...Eighth fleet would whip both Empire and Republic butt with that kind of fleet discipline... :shock:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse