Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by Relax   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Very early times: Huge amount of work to be done for sure. RFC you are going to be one very, even busier man deciding which to cut and which to create in whole cloth properly bringing your story telling to a visual audience.

I agree whole heartedly that HoTQ should be first book. It is after all, your best book in my oh so, "humble" opinion. :roll:

I have one concern. I have yet to watch any Sci-fi movie that is all that good in the 90 minute range. It is simply too short of a time period to have character development. It is fine for comedy, shallow romance, and Kid flicks, but a "real" movie? Sure hope its longer. Of course the Cinemas showing movies hate longer movies as this equals lower revenues to them...
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Werrf   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

I'd been thinking about the need to get Hamish more heavily involved in order to get a strong actor for the part - I wonder if he could be inserted as part of the diplomatic mission to Grayson?

From there, we'd need to get him out of the way so Honor can do her job. I can think of a couple of ways to do that - just send him home after the convoy arrives at Yeltsin, or put him aboard one of the Grayson ships at First Yeltsin and have him injured and returned to Manticore aboard Apollo, or even put him aboard Madrigal and have him captured and sent to Blackbird. I think the second option is best, as it allows him to return with the reinforcements - but I'm sure the professional screenwriters will come up with something better :)
Post by dewdrops   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:30 pm

dewdrops
Midshipman

Very exciting stuff. Thank you, Mr. rfc, for sharing on the thought process of turning the world we all love into something the whole world can see and get. The points about Peter Jackson's work on Lord of the Rings are reassuring to me.

My big question is prolong. Can it stay in the storyline? It seems to me the implications of prolong's life extending properties are pretty central to the Honorverse. The casting and visuals, especially over multiple films(we hope)can be tough to keep people looking as if in their twenties.
Post by jchilds   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Has there been any work done on getting a composer yet or are we too early in the whole process for that? It'd be a shame to get an otherwise great movie with a relatively bland, mostly forgettable, formulaic soundtrack that doesn't do the material justice.

For that matter, a good composer can probably help provide some of the recognition cues for the ships without totally butchering the existing visual aesthetic.

Anybody have suggestions/preferences?
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

jchilds wrote:Anybody have suggestions/preferences?

My suggestion is to let the professionals do this.
Post by Starsaber   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

jchilds wrote:Has there been any work done on getting a composer yet or are we too early in the whole process for that? It'd be a shame to get an otherwise great movie with a relatively bland, mostly forgettable, formulaic soundtrack that doesn't do the material justice.

For that matter, a good composer can probably help provide some of the recognition cues for the ships without totally butchering the existing visual aesthetic.

Bear McCreary is the first one who comes to mind for me, but he's more of a TV composer.

In terms of the shape of the ships, I imagine we'll see similar proportions, but maybe not as cylindrical on all of them. At a guess, the Manticorian ships will be more or less what we have in existing stuff, but they Grayson ships will be a bit more like current naval ships in terms of the antennas and conning tower and things like that. Maybe the Havenite ships will be a bit more angular or blocky.
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

jchilds wrote:Has there been any work done on getting a composer yet or are we too early in the whole process for that? It'd be a shame to get an otherwise great movie with a relatively bland, mostly forgettable, formulaic soundtrack that doesn't do the material justice.

Michael McCann has some nice stuff, IMO. It's definitely not John Williams,but I liked his work on Deus Ex: Human Revolution (about the best thing about that game, but then, I'm a hardcore original Deus Ex fan, so DX:HR was more than a bit disappointing).

Give a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqDxdYY ... 67C56AA012
Post by Werrf   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:08 am

Werrf
Vice Admiral

Jack Wall has done some good stuff with the Mass Effect 2 score - he can do creepy, haunting, mournful, pulse-pounding action as appropriate.
Post by waddles for desert   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:53 am

waddles for desert
Admiral

For HotQ, visual distinction is somewhat simplified.

First, there is size. Grayson ships and Massadan ships are generally smaller for their class.

Thunder of God is HUGE.

Honor's ships are in between.

And, some gimmicks comes to mind. Smart paint should make the ships all look about the same until it is time to, "Show our colors, lieutenant!".

The hammerheads could be distinctive - squared or rounded or oval. The superior technology of the SKM ships would approach the "ideal" shape most closely. As the series advances, each newer generation of ship will come closer to the ideal.
Post by Taurus2   » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:43 am

Taurus2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I had a similar thought about how different ships could look - consider the differences and similarites between all the versions of the USS Enterprise (the Star Trek one, not the aircraft carrier). All of them are organized around a similar hull plan, but within those general constraints (saucer section, main hull, two nacelles held at a distance from the hull) there are clear distinctions and a sense of technological progression.

Return to Honorverse