Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Trade reissue of "Oath of the War God" & additional novella

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Trade reissue of "Oath of the War God" & additional novella
Post by Saknussem   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Saknussem
Midshipman

Greetings all,
I've been out of touch (and out of the world) for a long while. But now I'm back home. At last. And permanently! My brother gave me the reissue of "Oath of the War God" with the add-on novella by Brian Dal . . . oops, I mean David Weber. LOL

Unsure how often Mr. Weber reads the boards, but, and if I'm incorrect, please correct me, there was no mention of Brian Daley's wonderful novel "The Doomfarers of Coramonde" as the inspiration for the novella "Sword Brother". Mr. Daley passed away many years ago, but he was a Vietnam veteran, and managed to write several truly excellent pieces of fantasy before he moved on.

Best,
Saknussem
Re: Trade reissue of "Oath of the War God" & additional nove
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Lieutenant Commander

Saknussem wrote:Greetings all,
I've been out of touch (and out of the world) for a long while. But now I'm back home. At last. And permanently! My brother gave me the reissue of "Oath of the War God" with the add-on novella by Brian Dal . . . oops, I mean David Weber. LOL

Unsure how often Mr. Weber reads the boards, but, and if I'm incorrect, please correct me, there was no mention of Brian Daley's wonderful novel "The Doomfarers of Coramonde" as the inspiration for the novella "Sword Brother". Mr. Daley passed away many years ago, but he was a Vietnam veteran, and managed to write several truly excellent pieces of fantasy before he moved on.

Best,
Saknussem

I believe this came up before and, IIRC, David Weber said that he hadn't read _Doomfarers..._. Besides, I believe that the idea wasn't original to Daley.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Re: Trade reissue of "Oath of the War God" & additional nove
Post by Saknussem   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 am

Saknussem
Midshipman

"I believe this came up before and, IIRC, David Weber said that he hadn't read _Doomfarers..._. Besides, I believe that the idea wasn't original to Daley."

Do you have any notion from where the idea might have originated? Not that I'm doubting Mr. Weber's statement that he hadn't read "Doomfarers", but it's super-coincidental:
1. VERY powerful wizard -- good in nature, not really from the place he's defending.
2. Casts a summoning spell seeking a war machine that will aid him/his proxy in defeating mega-bad juju monster -in DoC a dragon, in SB, a demon
3. Both get not-the-best-war-machine for the job (both are APCs, one an M113, the other a LAV-25). Tanks would have been better, no?
4. Both get American! Why not Chinese? Israeli? Russian? British?
5. Both get a war machine & crew from an active war zone with a unit on the front line. Why not a crew down for R&R or one in the reserves?

So. Again, I don't doubt Mr. Weber, and it IS a fairly common idea out there. There have probably been about twenty gazillion tabletop RPG campaigns out there based on this very idea.

But if you know or can find out where the idea may have originated, I'd be grateful.

Thank you,
Saknussem

Return to War God