Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by gclarkii   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:20 am

gclarkii
Midshipman

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 am

Greetings,

One thing that has nagged at me through out the series is what exactly Wencit is. Yes, he is a wild wizard, last Head of the Council of Ottovar and a member of the Council of Semkirk.

Could he be a Champion of Semkirk? (And we know he has them from the devil Anshakar "Champions of ... Semkirk ...") I just think it's strange that a God would not be helping him out, even in the background. That blue glow has been known to stick to him every now and then.

GB

ps I think his protection of Leeanna comes from the simple fact that she has the potential to be wild wizard. After all, that protection ONLY extends to attacking her using the Art. “You will never—ever—again attempt to attack Leeana Hanathafressa with the art.” from "War Maid's Choice". I can not think of thing more likely to trigger it than to be attacked by the Art.
Top
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by thanatos   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: United States

gclarkii wrote:Greetings,

One thing that has nagged at me through out the series is what exactly Wencit is. Yes, he is a wild wizard, last Head of the Council of Ottovar and a member of the Council of Semkirk.

Could he be a Champion of Semkirk? (And we know he has them from the devil Anshakar "Champions of ... Semkirk ...") I just think it's strange that a God would not be helping him out, even in the background. That blue glow has been known to stick to him every now and then.

GB

ps I think his protection of Leeanna comes from the simple fact that she has the potential to be wild wizard. After all, that protection ONLY extends to attacking her using the Art. “You will never—ever—again attempt to attack Leeana Hanathafressa with the art.” from "War Maid's Choice". I can not think of thing more likely to trigger it than to be attacked by the Art.


Just as Carnadosa does not employ tools or even champions, who she would imbue with some her power, I think that Semkirk (who specifically hates her guts) does not employ champions per se and for the same reason. The wizards of the Ottovaran Empire swore their oaths to Semkirk, just as the magi do in Norfressa. So I don't think Semkirk needs to use champions. RFC has made it clear that the Gods of Light are different in their relationship with mortals. Some don't interfere at all like Chemalka, some only have priests and acolytes (like Kontifrio) and some have both priests and champions (like Tomanak and Lillinara).

Also, I think its been established why Wencit was protecting Leeana from any sort of attack by Kontovaran wizards. He wanted her to give birth to a human-Hradani hybrid who could wield the wild magic in order to take control of the spells that strafed Kontovar when his magic began to fade as his time on Orfressa drew to a close.
Top
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by gclarkii   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 pm

gclarkii
Midshipman

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 am

thanatos wrote:
gclarkii wrote:Greetings,

One thing that has nagged at me through out the series is what exactly Wencit is. Yes, he is a wild wizard, last Head of the Council of Ottovar and a member of the Council of Semkirk.

Could he be a Champion of Semkirk? (And we know he has them from the devil Anshakar "Champions of ... Semkirk ...") I just think it's strange that a God would not be helping him out, even in the background. That blue glow has been known to stick to him every now and then.

GB

ps I think his protection of Leeanna comes from the simple fact that she has the potential to be wild wizard. After all, that protection ONLY extends to attacking her using the Art. “You will never—ever—again attempt to attack Leeana Hanathafressa with the art.” from "War Maid's Choice". I can not think of thing more likely to trigger it than to be attacked by the Art.


Just as Carnadosa does not employ tools or even champions, who she would imbue with some her power, I think that Semkirk (who specifically hates her guts) does not employ champions per se and for the same reason. The wizards of the Ottovaran Empire swore their oaths to Semkirk, just as the magi do in Norfressa. So I don't think Semkirk needs to use champions. RFC has made it clear that the Gods of Light are different in their relationship with mortals. Some don't interfere at all like Chemalka, some only have priests and acolytes (like Kontifrio) and some have both priests and champions (like Tomanak and Lillinara).

Also, I think its been established why Wencit was protecting Leeana from any sort of attack by Kontovaran wizards. He wanted her to give birth to a human-Hradani hybrid who could wield the wild magic in order to take control of the spells that strafed Kontovar when his magic began to fade as his time on Orfressa drew to a close.


Well the devil did say he had killed champions of Semkirk, so that is why I thought it was possible. Plus there is that blue whatever that has been known to stick to him or at least his sword.

As far as Leeana goes, it was only attacks with the Art that would trigger his response.

If his only need was to protect her as a mother, then he would have warned them off of every method of attack. He also would have protected Bahzell. He did neither.

GB
Top
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by thanatos   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: United States

gclarkii wrote:Well the devil did say he had killed champions of Semkirk, so that is why I thought it was possible. Plus there is that blue whatever that has been known to stick to him or at least his sword.

As far as Leeana goes, it was only attacks with the Art that would trigger his response.

If his only need was to protect her as a mother, then he would have warned them off of every method of attack. He also would have protected Bahzell. He did neither.

GB


I'd forgotten about that so I guess its possible. Yet even so, I have a feeling his champions are different. Lillinara has three types of champions (which are called "arms"), one for each aspect of the goddess. It stands to reason that Semkirk's champions are different in some respect, i.e. they might not be wizards or magi at all, but rather brilliant scholars imbued with even greater powers of reasoning and deduction (as Semkirk is the God of wisdom and mental and physical discipline).

It's true that Wencit would only intervene in the case of use of the art against Leeana. However, she is a fairly competent fighter in her own right, a commander of women warriors and married to a champion of Tomanak. Between her troops, her husband and her own skills I don't think Wencit was too worried about anything besides an arcane attack.
Top
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by DirkF   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:54 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:06 am

Every since reading the parts of SotS about what dragons are and how the dragon barrier works I had a completely different guess about Wencit.
I think he is a dragon that transformed his body to human, but still has the special dragon properties about time.

That would explain so many things about his knowledge and why he is so guarded about his action, as well as why the dragons would have allowed him to put up the barrier in the first place and more.
Top
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by akira.taylor   » Fri May 04, 2018 11:34 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm

DirkF wrote:Every since reading the parts of SotS about what dragons are and how the dragon barrier works I had a completely different guess about Wencit.
I think he is a dragon that transformed his body to human, but still has the special dragon properties about time.

That would explain so many things about his knowledge and why he is so guarded about his action, as well as why the dragons would have allowed him to put up the barrier in the first place and more.


It is worth remembering that he noted in Sword Brother that he didn't want a dragon - they were too hard to deal with. Doesn't disprove your point, but does complicate things (and what author likes complication? ^_^).
Top

Return to War God