Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

About the schedule

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: About the schedule
Post by NervousEnergy   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Why concern yourselves with formal publication dates when the eARC typically follows the manuscript by only a few months? ;)

Now if Toni holds the eARC to where it's closer to the dead tree / Kindle publication date then there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The Safehold books, now... those are an agonizing wait, since Tor hasn't figured out that they can charge as much as a hardback for a collection of unedited pixels, and that many of us eARC consumers still wind up shelling out AGAIN for the final book!

I shall toast again to the MWW's continued good health.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Any news about the next companion book?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Duckk   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Still in progress. Real life has caught up some key members, but we're still slowly rolling towards completion.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Duckk wrote:Still in progress. Real life has caught up some key members, but we're still slowly rolling towards completion.

Thanks Duckk

Now that is weird, sounds like something from Nottingham in the UK East Midlands.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by mickey59   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm

mickey59
Midshipman

Any plans to squeeze in Prince Roger 5 to the already overloaded schedule?
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

mickey59 wrote:Any plans to squeeze in Prince Roger 5 to the already overloaded schedule?

Hardly overloaded. At the moment, there is nothing at all on thte schedule. We know that the next Honor book WAS due in about a month ago but as far as we know, that has not happened.

Nothing will probably go forward until that is done. So have patience.
Post by Erls   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

NervousEnergy wrote:The Safehold books, now... those are an agonizing wait, since Tor hasn't figured out that they can charge as much as a hardback for a collection of unedited pixels, and that many of us eARC consumers still wind up shelling out AGAIN for the final book!

For both Safehold and Honorverse I've been toying with buying both for the last couple of years. If Tor would give me $5 off the hardcover with the purchase of the eARC it would be no question at all to buy both.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Erls wrote:
NervousEnergy wrote:The Safehold books, now... those are an agonizing wait, since Tor hasn't figured out that they can charge as much as a hardback for a collection of unedited pixels, and that many of us eARC consumers still wind up shelling out AGAIN for the final book!

For both Safehold and Honorverse I've been toying with buying both for the last couple of years. If Tor would give me $5 off the hardcover with the purchase of the eARC it would be no question at all to buy both.

I have the first five and the last Safehold books hard bound. I purchased two on kindle only till I noticed that I could get the kindle for a few dollars if I bought the hardbound first. :( ... Would have done that with all had I realized it sooner.

Most of the Honorverse books in my library are on kindle

BTW... If you have not done so, check out the Baen Books website for free and or, check the disk in the back cover of the At All Costs for gift copies from David and the publisher ;)
I used Calibre (free download) to send the files to my kindle.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Henry Brown   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:
Hardly overloaded. At the moment, there is nothing at all on thte schedule. We know that the next Honor book WAS due in about a month ago but as far as we know, that has not happened.

Nothing will probably go forward until that is done. So have patience.

What do you mean? In his initial post RFC gave us his projected completion date for the final Honor book. He also gave us his projected writing schedule extending well into 2018. This included the next Safehold book, the follow-up to Sword of the South, Call to Vengeance, and
tentative plans for the next multiverse book. Personally, I'd call that overloaded. He also cautioned us he'd not be on the forums much while playing catch up. So just because we have not heard about him turning in the Honor manuscript does not mean it hasn't happened. Hopefully he finished it awhile ago and is already well into the next book! This is me being optimistic. It is not my default attitude, but I figured I'd give it a try. :lol:
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

[

What do you mean? In his initial post RFC gave us his projected completion date for the final Honor book. He also gave us his projected writing schedule extending well into 2018. This included the next Safehold book, the follow-up to Sword of the South, Call to Vengeance, and
tentative plans for the next multiverse book. Personally, I'd call that overloaded. He also cautioned us he'd not be on the forums much while playing catch up. So just because we have not heard about him turning in the Honor manuscript does not mean it hasn't happened. Hopefully he finished it awhile ago and is already well into the next book! This is me being optimistic. It is not my default attitude, but I figured I'd give it a try. :lol:[/quote]

You are beyond optimistic.

Someone, like Duckk or others, would know if the book was handed in (the deadline was about seven weeks ago). If the backup on what was undoubtedly be the best selling of all the books discussed is that long you can bet everything else has been pushed back.

After all, there is a real attempt for a 25th anniversary edition and that is next year. For those of us who workship
Honor Harrington and who know this is the last book in the entire story arc it is like the Holy Grail.

And still we wait. Yes, we will probably get an eArc in advance. But not if the book isn't submitted.

Return to David's Dimension