Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

About the schedule

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: About the schedule
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:26 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

I have what may be a dumb question. If DW is handing in Uncompromising Honor this June why are we waiting until November of 2018 to see it?

Or is that a type and it's coming in 2017.

Why would he and Baen wait for what will surely be a best seller?

Lunan wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Current project: Uncompromising Honor, present word count approximately 185,000 words (Barregos just announced the Maya Sector's independence :twisted:), project delivery date, end of June. Current publication date, probably second half of 2018.

so at 7000 words a day with 25 days left in june thats another 175000 with 185000 already in thats 360000. after edits and pass through thats a 285000 word book?
now this number seems low to me as i'm expecting a Jordan/Sanderson length tome to tie up the solarian situation. (dissolution, systems coming apart, new political units takign shape, the first of the Renaissance factors appearance on the galactic scale).

so i would expect the maya announcement to take place roughly 1/3rd of the way into the book which means that 100000 - 200000 words are still missing? so either word count per day is going up(please don't endanger your health david) or that mid to late july is more likely the delivery date to toni (at which point i feel like toni will lose 1 or 2 nights of sleep just reading and laughing at all us poor fans who have to wait for the xmas earc)

a question for others: Whats davids longest word count book? (i assume either multiverse or safehold will win that title)
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

ldwechsler wrote:I have what may be a dumb question. If DW is handing in Uncompromising Honor this June why are we waiting until November of 2018 to see it?

Production time after hand in runs about 4 months. Release schedules have to be said about a year in advance. And Toni has decided that she isn't going to schedule any of my books until she has the manuscript in hand. (Which, as I have indicated, I think is a good idea.) So, if I handed the manuscript in tomorrow, absolutely the earliest it could be ready would be the end of October. Now, since she hasn't scheduled it yet, the earliest it can be SCHEDULED is sometime in 2018. And from my perspective, having it come out in 2018 – the 25th anniversary of Basilisk--is a good thing. Trust me, she will get it out absolutely as soon as she can within the constraints I mentioned, but I'm afraid 2017 is right out.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:snip

For the record, I never said that Uncompromising would be the end of the Honorverse. I anticipate doing a lot more books in this literary universe. Some of the novels I want to write amount to backstory — Alfred Harrington's Marine career, for example. Others would explore threads I never got the chance to follow up on in the main arc. And others will probably continue with core characters from the current line of novels.

snip

I'm going to be around and writing for a long time yet, though. I'm not Jack Williamson. That being the case, don't expect any miracles, but barring something unforeseen, I anticipate at least another 15-20 years in front of the computer.

As Isaac Asimov once said, my greatest fear is that someday the publishers will figure out that I'd write whether they pay me or not. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, and David gotta spend some time sticking words down. :D

ELOISE ELOISE ELOISE ELOISE ELOISE ELOISE ELOISE

THEISMAN THEISMAN THEISMAN THEISMAN THEISMAN

TALBOTT TALBOTT TALBOTT TALBOTT

HAVEN BACKSTORY HAVEN BACKSTORY HAVEN BACKSTORY HAVEN BACKSTORY

::cough:: Opinions on potential future Honor projects? Me? You need to lay off the celery, mate. ;) :lol: 8-)

Honestly, I am just beyond thrilled that there will be more of this wonderful 'verse in the offing. ...Eventually. :D Also, more Safehold is always brilliant because it's glorious. Suffice it to say, if you write, I'll read. :mrgreen:

Welcome back, Your Celeryness. I was too busy swooning over Eloise (and then recovering from the discovery that I'd had an Eloise snippet dedicated to me :shock: :mrgreen: ) to say it earlier, but I'm so glad you're back in full fitness. Your wife is a national treasure, and you're not so bad yourself either, I suppose. ;) You were missed. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:I have what may be a dumb question. If DW is handing in Uncompromising Honor this June why are we waiting until November of 2018 to see it?

Aside from the practical constraints RFC mentions in his reply, I seem to remember reading long before his illness that the plan was to issue the last book in the current Honorverse sequence sometime around the 25th anniversary of On Basilisk Station as a suitable way of rounding things off.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

But then, Asimov was special. He could trip over a typewriter and end up with a 1000 word essay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ncwolf   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:06 am

ncwolf
Commander

Annachie wrote:But then, Asimov was special. He could trip over a typewriter and end up with a 1000 word essay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The man was so productive that by, oh, the eighties (if not before) the joke was that he was a committee.
Post by Sharidann   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

First things first: glad to read that the health is getting better and I find it awesome that you want to spend more time with the family, even though it means I shall have to wait more to read your books.

2018 sounds goo for uncompromising honor (25th anniversary, yes!), aye.

Another thing though: you didn't mention Prince Roger number 5 in your projects schedule...

Any news on this front?
runsforcelery wrote:

Production time after hand in runs about 4 months. Release schedules have to be said about a year in advance. And Toni has decided that she isn't going to schedule any of my books until she has the manuscript in hand. (Which, as I have indicated, I think is a good idea.) So, if I handed the manuscript in tomorrow, absolutely the earliest it could be ready would be the end of October. Now, since she hasn't scheduled it yet, the earliest it can be SCHEDULED is sometime in 2018. And from my perspective, having it come out in 2018 – the 25th anniversary of Basilisk--is a good thing. Trust me, she will get it out absolutely as soon as she can within the constraints I mentioned, but I'm afraid 2017 is right out.
Post by Braudel26   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Good News throughout !
Of course health and family first.
Then, from this reader egotistical pov, even if the earliest book to read is 5 months away from now (december 2017 for the eARC of A call to vengeance), the 2018 program seems as lavish as end 2015 and 2016 was with 1 Safehold, 1 main Honorverse, 1 Travis, and 1 fantasy.
With a sequel to A road to hell or a Worlds of Honor 7 in 2019 it would be perfect...well it's already very good :D
Post by Peter2   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:13 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Good to hear from you, RFC, and even better to learn that you're on the mend. Long may that continue!
Post by Marty   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 am

Marty
Ensign

It's so awesome to hear from you RFC. I look forward with great anticipation to reading all those books you're busily working on. :D

I'll admit I'd been saving the "non-SF" Bahzell series for a rainy day, and lately I've tapped that reserve so now I've really read all of your books.

Return to David's Dimension