Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Current series similar to War God

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Current series similar to War God
Post by LewK   » Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 pm

LewK
Midshipman

I highly recommend The Belgariad series by David Eddings (and his wife Leigh, although she didn't get credited for her help until later books). The have a lot of the same sort of feel - the humor, gods who appear and take part, etc.. But a LOT of fun.

They also wrote other series which have the same sort of humor but in some of them the gods are much more active.

I believe they wrote a total of 26 books, a couple of stand alones, and the others in various series:
The Belgariad (5 books)
The Malloreon (5 books) - continues the Belgariad
Belgarath the Sorcerer - more detail on the a main character of The Belgariad
Polgara the Sorceress - more detail on the a main character of The Belgariad
The Elenium (3 books)
The Tamuli (3 books) - continues the Elenium
The Elder Gods (4 books)
The Redemption of Athalus (stand alone)

Those are the ones I have. There are 3 others I don't have. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2007 and he in 2009.

I also very much enjoyed Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarion series.

I've really enjoyed Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books. That's a series that has been opened up to other authors as well and there are some excellent stories. It doesn't have nearly as much humor though although there are some gods that do appear - but you better be willing to sacrifice if you want their help!

Other authors I really enjoy are Anne McCaffrey and L.E. Modesitt Jr. although they aren't anything like War God, both having more of a sci-fi feel. L.E. Modesitt Jr. does deal more directly with good vs evil in some of his books.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. :-)
Post by johnb   » Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 pm

johnb
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I would wholeheartedly agree with LewK on most of his recommendations.
The Eddings books I find very good with the exception of The Elder Gods which I just couldn't get on with.

Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarion series and Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books I also really like as I do with most of Anne McCaffrey's work. L.E. Modesitt Jr's works I have no knowledge of, I must try a couple!!
Post by Morris Darkstar   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Morris Darkstar
Ensign

It's far from 'current' but my first series with a lot of fencing terms is The Chronicles of Amber. If you like mysteries and figuring out how a fantastic fiction story holds together with a coherent set of rules, I HIGHLY recommend reading the first book before you look at a wiki or description of the book. The first book had me so befuddled. The main character is also clueless for the first three-fourths of the first novel or so....

The name of the current edition I find on Amazon is: Nine Princes in Amber: Book One (The Chronicles of Amber 1).

The books 1-10 in one volume is: The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber)
Post by Zarz   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

Zarz
Ensign

Thanks everyone for all the interesting suggestions! I've just finished reading the Belgariad, and now I'm onto the Malloreon. I may have to check out the Phoenix Rising books as well

For me, one of my favorite aspects of the War God books is Bahzell's relationship and interactions with Tomanak. So does anyone have any suggestions about other books or series with such interactions between the gods and their followers? I'm trying to think of any I know - Jim C. Hines' Goblin Quest and its sequels come to mind. It's the tale of Jig, a goblin who is dragooned into guiding a group of adventurers through every peril known to fantasy realms. However there's more than just a magical artifact at stake, as there's also a long-forgotten god waiting.

Anyone else know any good novels that haven't been mentioned yet, with clerics, paladins, or anyone else with the (mis-)fortune to get intimately involved with the gods?
Post by kjn   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 pm

kjn
Midshipman

@Zarz Probably the best example of stories where being involved with the gods has a tendency to really mess up your life would be Bujold's Chalion stories. Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls are both excellent. I didn't think The Hallowed Hunt managed to reach the same standard, but that still is a good book. She has continued on with several novellas about the sorceror Penric (and being a sorceror in the world of Chalion is to be in a very unusual theological state).

Another possibility is Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels, though the relationship with Varra and various other gods is not generally a focus of the stories, and their tone is very much different from most high fantasy. Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

I'd mentioned Spoor and Hodgell earlier, and they carry a bit of that, though in different ways from the Bahzell stories.
Post by jaccairn   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 pm

jaccairn
Ensign

I would agree with recommending the chalion series, these are books I go back to frequently
Post by dsatt12   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 am

dsatt12
Midshipman

Well, you ask for clerics... how about RA Salvatore's Cleric Quintet? I enjoyed most of his novels for that matter.

Then there's the original Krynn novels- see what happens when magic users get uppity and the gods come down on them and the whole world :)

Return to War God