Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Sword of the South question (spoiler)

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Sword of the South question (spoiler)
Post by jcochran   » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:44 pm

jcochran
Midshipman

Towards the end the book, Bazhell had a bit of a fight and two things happened that I have to wonder about....

1. He lost his grip on his sword.
This should have been impossible given that his sword had been "changed" by Tomanāk way back in "Oath of Swords" when Bazhell swore Sword Oath to Tomanāk.

2. After the above mentioned fight, Bazhell said "Leave me my sword."
Once again, this is a rather odd statement given that Bazhell can easily summon his sword.

In any case, I enjoyed the book immensely and look forward to Bazhell's and Kenhodan’s reactions when they see what Gwynna has done to herself.
Re: Sword of the South question (spoiler)
Post by SYED   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:18 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

The wizard when taliking about the sword, said there was no one left able to access it full power, and it seemed like even as just a sword it was a threat.
this is the quote.
“Good. Guard the sword well, Wulfra! It wouldn’t be disastrous if he regained it, but it wouldbe . . . unfortunate. No one will ever wield its full power again, but it could inconvenience me even as a weapon. See that he doesn’t gain it. Farewell.”

The fact he said full power, means that it might be possible for some of the sword to be accessed some how, which is why the sword was there in the first place.
I am thinking the material of the sword, or the spells laid down in it, means that even when just used as a blade, it could do more than mundane blades.
Post by dan92677   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:34 am

dan92677
Commander

Oh, I think that kenholden has the full power of the sword available to him right now. It reshaped his sheath to fit it, as well as the handle has now been completely restored.

All that is left is to see just how much power Gwynna is ready to accept. Hopefully she won't need Wencit to give her a 'nudge'.

I still think the book stopped a couple of chapters short. Oh well, guess that's our cliffhanger, huh?

Dan
Post by phillies   » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:54 am

phillies
Admiral

On a slightly more general note, Sword of the South contains several scenes in which characters and those who disagree with them attempt to resolve matters with sharp pointy things. It seems to me that the scenes are appreciably longer than in the past, or perhaps my interest in such matters has drifted downward. A similar statement might be made about Stirling's The Desert and the Blade. However, some readers may really like these.
Post by dan92677   » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:14 pm

dan92677
Commander

SYED wrote:The wizard when talking about the sword, said there was no one left able to access it full power, and it seemed like even as just a sword it was a threat.
this is the quote.

“Good. Guard the sword well, Wulfra! It wouldn’t be disastrous if he(Wencit) regained it, but it would be . . . unfortunate. No one will ever wield its full power again, but it could inconvenience me even as a weapon. See that he(Wencit) doesn’t gain it. Farewell.”

The fact he said full power, means that it might be possible for some of the sword to be accessed some how, which is why the sword was there in the first place.

I am thinking the material of the sword, or the spells laid down in it, means that even when just used as a blade, it could do more than mundane blades.

Don't forget that the Carnodosian thinks that he is the only surviving blood line.

HE ISN'T! Kenhoden is also! And, I believe that he(ken) will be very comfortable using the full power of the sword.

(my bolding)

Dan

Return to War God