Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Gwynna and Kenhodan (Sword of the South Spoilers)

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Gwynna and Kenhodan (Sword of the South Spoilers)
Post by andrewtater   » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:42 pm

andrewtater
Ensign

In SotS, when everyone is still in Belhaden, Gwynna asks Kenhodan to carry her favor, giving him a dwarven-forged dagger than Brandark recovered from corsairs. During that conversation, she says that she’ll never be a lady, according to her mother (likely regarding her sterility). However, she says that Wencit disagrees with Leeana. This is either implying that her sterility will be cured somehow, or that she will gain a noble title. Additionally, the historic sense of carrying a favor was done out of love between the two individuals.

Kenhodan is actually Torren Shieldarm, reborn or returned. That is established at the end of SotS.

After Kenhodan is burned by dragon spittle, he had a random thought. "That's going to upset Gwynna." Even Wencit is taken aback by the statement. I think it is less due to Wencit's doting over her and more because he knows what the future has.

While at South Keep after the dragon fight, Wencit is given a necklace which was worn by the Empresses of Kontovar since Gwynytha the Wise. He states that is will be worn by a lady who is “equally noble” (I believe he is referring to Gwynna). It was last worn by Serianna. The wife of Torren Shieldarm.

I don’t think that was a throwaway phrase in for flair. I think this was foreshadowing, implying that Gwynna will wear the necklace, as well as be the future wife of Torren Shieldarm, now known as Kenhodan.
Re: Gwynna and Kenhodan (Sword of the South Spoilers)
Post by AClone   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

That's one interpretation. Perhaps even the likely one. ;)

Of course, we also have another "beautiful woman" hanging about whose presence Wencit seems to be tolerating, for some unknown reason. :mrgreen:
Post by Morris Darkstar   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:22 am

Morris Darkstar
Ensign

I think it's pretty clear he knows who she is and what she is. I also find it highly likely it's a necessary thing. As she wondered, I suspect part of it is that it is a way to avoid a blood feud with the assassin's guild. Also, if the head of the assassin's guild is working with Wencit, just how likely is any assassination attempt against any of Wencit's protected parties to work? And if the majority of the assassins become similar to the war maids, or at least their scouts and are used as spys who can infiltrate....

You recall that Phrobus was infuriated at the changes in the Rage because the hradani were 'his.' I'm guessing that the fall and the shattering of Orr's power are closely related. And one thing that has been happening is that more and more of the corrupted things of the dark are being redeemed and used against him. Why not part of the assassin's guild. : )

Morris

AClone wrote:That's one interpretation. Perhaps even the likely one. ;)

Of course, we also have another "beautiful woman" hanging about whose presence Wencit seems to be tolerating, for some unknown reason. :mrgreen:
Post by jcochran   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:39 am

jcochran
Midshipman

andrewtater wrote:After Kenhodan is burned by dragon spittle, he had a random thought. "That's going to upset Gwynna." Even Wencit is taken aback by the statement. I think it is less due to Wencit's doting over her and more because he knows what the future has.

... SNIP ....
I don’t think that was a throwaway phrase in for flair. I think this was foreshadowing, implying that Gwynna will wear the necklace, as well as be the future wife of Torren Shieldarm, now known as Kenhodan.

I had a bit of difficulty in determining Gwynna's age, but the inside cover teaser does claim that she's eleven years old. Add that to the little bit of age control Gwynna plans on doing for seven months at a 12 to 1 ratio, that would put her at eighteen or so by the time Bahzeel and company back to Belhadan. And that's a very interesting age indeed. And it seems that there's a deadline for Gwynna to reach age eighteen since when asked "Can't you at least start more slowly, child?" she replied that she could, but at the cost of having to go faster later. The only reason I can think of for Gwynna to get to age 18 by a certain unspecified deadline is for marriage.
Post by Morris Darkstar   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Morris Darkstar
Ensign

Lol, really? With all those talents that are astonishing her tutors with clear military, espionage, etc implications you can only think of marriage? I'm not saying that may not be a factor, but I highly suspect she knows she has to be in prime fighting form by a specific time that she got 'accidentally' from Wencit. It was cool that the mages warned Leena about what could happen if she touched Gwynna, and my take is that that's close to exactly what happened between her and Wencit. The 'adult' sounding voice etc. I'm pretty sure Gwynna has a (partial?) copy of Wencit's personality and knowledge riding around in her head. Wise enough to be careful not to damage her or take over, but making sure she knows just what has to happen when, with only partial bits of why.

jcochran wrote:The only reason I can think of for Gwynna to get to age 18 by a certain unspecified deadline is for marriage.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:01 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

One discovers agreement with the Moorish Singularity. Our Gwyna needs to inhabit the body of an adult for the tasks before her. Marriage might be in the cards but is not the principal driver for her decisions. I further agree about the nature of what Wencit and Geyna share. My belief is that Wild Magic is only different from the Maye talent in the source of its power. Mages use their own essence to fuel their efforts and Wild Mages use the magic field.

Morris Darkstar wrote:Lol, really? With all those talents that are astonishing her tutors with clear military, espionage, etc implications you can only think of marriage? I'm not saying that may not be a factor, but I highly suspect she knows she has to be in prime fighting form by a specific time that she got 'accidentally' from Wencit. It was cool that the mages warned Leena about what could happen if she touched Gwynna, and my take is that that's close to exactly what happened between her and Wencit. The 'adult' sounding voice etc. I'm pretty sure Gwynna has a (partial?) copy of Wencit's personality and knowledge riding around in her head. Wise enough to be careful not to damage her or take over, but making sure she knows just what has to happen when, with only partial bits of why.

jcochran wrote:The only reason I can think of for Gwynna to get to age 18 by a certain unspecified deadline is for marriage.
Post by jcochran   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 am

jcochran
Midshipman

Morris Darkstar wrote:Lol, really? With all those talents that are astonishing her tutors with clear military, espionage, etc implications you can only think of marriage?

Yes. Marriage. Reason being is that the other options military, espionage, etc., don't require her to be in an adult body as she can perform them right now in the body she has. Since she can perform those other actions as she is now, why does she have to be eighteen by a specific deadline?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:22 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

jcochran wrote:
Morris Darkstar wrote:Lol, really? With all those talents that are astonishing her tutors with clear military, espionage, etc implications you can only think of marriage?

Yes. Marriage. Reason being is that the other options military, espionage, etc., don't require her to be in an adult body as she can perform them right now in the body she has. Since she can perform those other actions as she is now, why does she have to be eighteen by a specific deadline?

Gwynna will be 18 when she has lived 18 years regardless of what her body looks like. She needs to have an adult body that can withstand the rigors coming her way. With respect to marriage, she won't be old enough to marry until she has lived the requisite number of years however many that is. No spell will allow her to live more years than she has experienced. Her body might mature at a faster rate, but she will have lived only those number of years she experiences.
Post by jcochran   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:51 pm

jcochran
Midshipman

PeterZ wrote:Gwynna will be 18 when she has lived 18 years regardless of what her body looks like. She needs to have an adult body that can withstand the rigors coming her way. With respect to marriage, she won't be old enough to marry until she has lived the requisite number of years however many that is. No spell will allow her to live more years than she has experienced. Her body might mature at a faster rate, but she will have lived only those number of years she experiences.

I would agree with you except that frankly Gwynna already has the emotional maturity to get married right now. She doesn't need an additional 7 years of experience. And when strangers see Kenhodan with Gwynna, they'll see a 30-something with a 20-something instead of with an obvious child. They're gonna have a hard enough problem with her being half-hradani, but given Gwynna's power and competence, along with Bahzeel's example of setting things on end, that issue should be minor.
Post by AClone   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

I too had the impression that Gwynna needed an "adult" body for the physical demands of whatever tasks are before her.

Return to War God