Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

SotS Official snippet #17

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Official snippet #17
Post by justdave   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:48 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Bahzellstudent wrote:THanks for this David - and delighted to hear the good news on the medical front. Keep doing what the medics say.

let me add my joy in the good news :D

BTW the first half of SotS is available in the August bundle at baen.com
Post by AClone   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

I couldn't help but notice that Brandark's axe was trailing blue fire.
Post by Zarz   » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:30 am

Zarz
Ensign

Does anyone else think that Kenhoden's feelings during battle share some similarities with how Bahzell has described the Rage? It makes me wonder whether there might not be some connection, though whether any such relationship would be to the new Rage or the old, I couldn't guess.
Post by dan92677   » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:44 pm

dan92677
Commander

How about kenhoden has been experiencing the onset of wild wizardism?
Post by Storm_Rider   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:16 am

Storm_Rider
Midshipman

There have been discussions of who Brandark's god could be. I just happened to be reading Wind Rider's Oath again and noticed a couple of statements.

Throughout several books the evil ones sometimes seemed more interested in killing Brandark because of what he could become. In WRO, the Servant of Krahana said in Chapter 41 about Bahzell "And this is a champion of the accursed sword. Only an axe of Isvaria could be more dangerous to such as us."

That Brandark's axe was trailing blue fire and humming now makes me now inclined to believe that he is a Champion of Isvaria, the "Lady of Remembrance" - the third most powerful god. I think the love of sailing is a distraction by the nefarious author. :roll:

If he was a Champion of Korthrala, the axe would not necessarily be appropriate (trident and net maybe). Of course, he might not be a Champion of either and just follow Korthrala. However, then the evil ones would be less concerned about him and the blue fire not present. I would also expect that a Champion of the sea god would be given a little more ability with the sea and unlikely to be either becalmed or unaware of corsairs approaching until it is too late to do anything about it but fight.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:26 am

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Storm_Rider wrote:There have been discussions of who Brandark's god could be. I just happened to be reading Wind Rider's Oath again and noticed a couple of statements.

Throughout several books the evil ones sometimes seemed more interested in killing Brandark because of what he could become. In WRO, the Servant of Krahana said in Chapter 41 about Bahzell "And this is a champion of the accursed sword. Only an axe of Isvaria could be more dangerous to such as us."

That Brandark's axe was trailing blue fire and humming now makes me now inclined to believe that he is a Champion of Isvaria, the "Lady of Remembrance" - the third most powerful god. I think the love of sailing is a distraction by the nefarious author. :roll:

One big problem with this theory is that Chesmarsa told Brandark that he was "too much [her] BROTHER'S" to be a bard. That strongly implies that Brandark is a follower of a god, not a goddess...
Post by Louis R   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Check the current printing: that's a typo you quoted there, and the correct wording is "too much my brothers'"

not _a_ god...

PlaysWithBees wrote:
Storm_Rider wrote:There have been discussions of who Brandark's god could be. I just happened to be reading Wind Rider's Oath again and noticed a couple of statements.

One big problem with this theory is that Chesmarsa told Brandark that he was "too much [her] BROTHER'S" to be a bard. That strongly implies that Brandark is a follower of a god, not a goddess...
Post by dan92677   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:02 pm

dan92677
Commander

Well, brothers can be taken either way, brothers plural or a specific brother, depending on context.

We, of course, have rfc in there making sure that we can't figure out which it is until he lets us know, in an appropriate time, place and setting.

Isn't this fun?
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

No, that's brothers'

Plural possessive. I should have inserted some extra spaces.

There's no ambiguity on this one - other, of course, than that arising from the original typo. I leave you to imagine the gnashing of teeth over on the Bar when this was pointed out, given the hundreds of trillions of perturbed electrons we'd left in our wake explaining exactly why _our_ idea had to be the correct identification of Brandark's God.

dan92677 wrote:Well, brothers can be taken either way, brothers plural or a specific brother, depending on context.

We, of course, have rfc in there making sure that we can't figure out which it is until he lets us know, in an appropriate time, place and setting.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

This isn't the first time: happened during the fight with the Servants of Krahana in WRO, as well.

AClone wrote:I couldn't help but notice that Brandark's axe was trailing blue fire.

Return to War God