Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Big Spoiler for Sword of the South and a Question

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Big Spoiler for Sword of the South and a Question
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:36 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

He chuckled and set aside his wine glass to amble off to bed. They were all puppets—even Wencit—dancing to his bidding. It was especially amusing to watch the wild wizard, particularly since the prophecy proved the cat-eyed wizard’s line couldn’t fail of its final destiny. His house would triumph in the end, whatever else might happen. True, there was enough ambiguity that one could never be quite sure when they would triumph, so it was possible—however unlikely—that he himself would perish without seeing it happen. But he’d already provided his own heirs, just in case, and the possibility of failure was what made life challenging enough to be worth living.

End Quote

“You’re joking!” Kenhodan gasped, his eyes huge. “The House of Ottovar died thirteen hundred years ago!”

“So it was thought. So I let it be thought. But that house lives…both here and in Kontovar. What began as a battle between Ottovarans can end only in the same way, Kenhodan. The Dark Lords gather power in Hacromanthi. Soon they’ll reach out to Norfressa, for I’m an old man, even for a wild wizard, and they know it. My power’s peaked and begun its decline. When they’re certain of that, when they’re confident it’s declined far enough, they’ll strike. You and that sword—and one other I’ve awaited until now—are our only hope.”

End Quote

Now why am I thinking that the cat-eyed wizard is a member of the House of Ottovar? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Re: Big Spoiler for Sword of the South and a Question
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:25 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't disagree with you, Drak.

But it would appear that Kenhodan is as well and it appears that "the one other I've awaited until now" is Gwyna. If Kenhodan is of that house, then the prophecy can be fulfilled through him despite Cat Eye's expectation that it will be his heir.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:33 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

That was my thought.

ksandgren wrote:I don't disagree with you, Drak.

But it would appear that Kenhodan is as well and it appears that "the one other I've awaited until now" is Gwyna. If Kenhodan is of that house, then the prophecy can be fulfilled through him despite Cat Eye's expectation that it will be his heir.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by feyhunde   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:31 am

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah Kenhodan seems to be Toren.

However, Cats Eye is probably not Herrick, for the simple fact Herrick was a Wild Wizard.

Otoh, Herrick's transformation was forced, we don't exactly know how, and it sounds like Herrick's death killed him.

Otgh per the pearls: "In the final battle, Toren and Herrick faced one another directly in hand-to-hand combat. Ultimately, Toren could not possibly have won the fight, since he was effectively the last member of his last army still on his feet. In the event, the battle between them -- which involved another artifact of the House of Ottovar [tum, te, tum, te, tum] -- not only dropped both of them but killed almost every man (and creature) of the army Herrick had brought to the ball, as well. Unfortunately, the Carnadosans still had several armies left, and Toren's had been the last army the Good Guys™ had."

Makes it a bit ambiguous if Toren and Herrick were both Dropped.

Herrick was always weaker than Wencit due to his cheezing the rules via Dark Gods.

Again per the pearls: "Herrick's wild wizardry was never fully awakened. It turned out that if a man who had the potential for wild wizardry was willing to sell his soul to Carnadosa, she could open his wild magic "channels" without the sort of personally traumatic event Wencit has described to Bahzell and Brandark. (Mind you, it wasn't a pleasant process for Herrick even with Carnadosa letting him cut corners, but it could be done, and in a relatively short period of time.) On the other hand, Herrick's "channels" would never be as deep, as powerful, as what would have happened had his wild wizardry been awakened "naturally." Thus, even though he was at least several centuries younger than Wencit, and so (theoretically) a more powerful wild wizard, he was never actually able to match Wencit's power. Nor, obviously, had he been given anything like as long to learn to master the techniques of wand wizardry. Which meant he never dared to face Wencit directly."

Which means to Herrick, if he lived, would of know eventually Wencit would get too weak to fight him off.

Now its possible Cats Eye isn't Herrick, as any child he sired would of been also a potential wild wizard from what we've seen. Otoh, the Cats Eyes might be what happens when wild wizardry is forced, Herrick was never explicitly killed and was described as 'Dropped' the same way Toren was. And waiting until Wencit got old seems like a viable plan if you're truly patient.

Otoh I feel like living that long in an evil kingdom has to be hard, especially when the plural of Wizard is war.

ksandgren wrote:I don't disagree with you, Drak.

Post by biochem   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

What if the cat's eye wizard isn't Herrick but is another member of the House of Ottovar? We don't know anything about the cadet branches. There could have been cousins/uncles etc who were 3rd or 4th in line for the throne. Manipulate the situation between Herrick and Toren such that they kill one another and slide into place as the rightful heir.
Post by kalenath   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

kalenath
Midshipman

I don't think Herrik managed to enjoy his victory. Even if Toren didn't kill him, the strafing probably did.

But OMG...

I THOUGHT I had an inkling. I didn't.

This is gonna get MESSY.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

wencit clearly still has lots of plans a foot.

i'm thinking is that Kenhoden and Gwyena will be an item and that Gwenya will get that pendent that was given to wencit
Post by dan92677   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:51 am

dan92677
Commander

And perhaps the rages that KenHodan keeps having are the start of him becoming a wild wizard, too.

However, Gwyna is a more logical choice, I think.
Post by Duncan_Macdonald   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Duncan_Macdonald
Midshipman

Very unlikely that the cat eyed wizard is Herrik given the following from Chapter 11.

For the last hundred years, since the cat-eyed wizard had assumed leadership of the Council, the old wild wizard had been monitored literally hour by hour.

End Quote

If Herrik had still been alive then he would have been the Council leader much earlier than 100 years ago.

kalenath wrote:I don't think Herrik managed to enjoy his victory. Even if Toren didn't kill him, the strafing probably did.

But OMG...

This is gonna get MESSY.
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Sun May 03, 2015 6:57 am

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

I get the feeling that this cycle may be Wencit's, Kenhodan's and Gwynna's stories, with Bahzell and Leanna now in supporting roles ... ala Aral and Cordelia Vorkosigan when "young" Miles came into his own.

Duncan_Macdonald wrote:Very unlikely that the cat eyed wizard is Herrik given the following from Chapter 11.

For the last hundred years, since the cat-eyed wizard had assumed leadership of the Council, the old wild wizard had been monitored literally hour by hour.

End Quote

If Herrik had still been alive then he would have been the Council leader much earlier than 100 years ago.

kalenath wrote:I don't think Herrik managed to enjoy his victory. Even if Toren didn't kill him, the strafing probably did.

But OMG...

This is gonna get MESSY.

Return to War God