Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

What if based on mashup of RFC story universes.

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: What if based on mashup of RFC story universes.
Post by iranuke   » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 am

iranuke
Commander

You forgot the MAJOR advantage to firearms. You can train a rifleman in weeks, for all previous weapons systems it took years to train for proficiency.

ericth wrote:Soooo... since barflies have so much time to speculate these days, I thought I'd throw one out.

Borrowing plot elements from Sword Brother and Safehold, set in the Bazhell universe.

Let's say a contemporary US infantry trooper ends up in Norfressa. A bit like Ken Houghton in Sword Brother but not just a brief trip.

He decides to help the good guys, and is sufficiently versed in how firearms work to provide the Empire of the Axe a substantial leg up as a technical advisor. (at least he doesnt have an Proscriptions to deal with :-)

What should he concentrate on?

I foresee three major possibilities:
1) infantry small arms
2) crew served infantry weapons
3) artillery or other heavy weapons.

Some design considerations:
1) The enemy will operate in close order formation (at least initially)
2) Armored or otherwise very tough enemy troopers. Humans are the *least* tough, with Hradani, demons, and the like being much tougher.
3) Even the dwarven industry isnt fully adapted to mass production yet.
4) Transporting munitions from the empire to the front will be a significant challenge.

To open the discussion, I submit the following:
1) Infantry small arms:
Advantages: Individual soldiers have greatly increased long range capability.
Disadvantages:
a) Industrial load: this probably places the greatest strain on manufacturing and logistics. Tens of thousands of rifles and millions of rounds of ammo need to be produced and supported.
b) Armor pen: given that a battle rifle round like the NATO 7.62 is likely to be marginal against Hradani, let alone tougher opponents, a heavy caliber with good armor penetration is called for, increasing the bulk and weight of the soldier's kit, not to mention industrial requirements.

2) Crew served infantry weapons:
Advantages:
a) Production of weapons is a fraction of that required for rifles. Ammo requirements unchanged.
b) Training requirements are reduced, heavy weapons squads integrate into existing unit structure.
c) Easier to use heavier calibers with greater armor pen for stuff like demons.
Disadvantages:
a) Reduced mobility. Units out of range of a heavy weapon are at a major disadvantage.
b) Provides a clear target for the enemy to attack for max results.

3) Artillery or other heavy weapons:
Advantages:
a) Greatest armor pen for beasties like demons with hard carapaces. If a lesser demon takes a modern 25mm AP round, serious mojo is called for.
b) Training requirements are reduced, heavy weapons squads integrate into existing unit structure.
c) Likely greatest range from fortified emplacements, even in direct fire mode.
d) Possibly lower industrial demands for ammunition compared to millions of rifle rounds.
Disadvantages:
a) Most industrial strain in weapons manufacture. See Safehold books wrt designing artillery and recoil systems and proper shells.
b) Least mobility and most difficult to transport.

Discussion?
Post by andrewtater   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 pm

andrewtater
Ensign

Is "Sword Brother" part of the Baen free library? I haven't found a copy of it anywhere, and none of my local book stores, nor used book stores, have a copy. I've checked in both Seattle and Tampa, and I haven't seen even an old copy of OoS or WGO, none the less anything with Sword Brother. I haven't read it, but when Sergeant Houghton was mentioned in SotS, I had no idea what he was talking about.

It seems like SB is part of canon, but completely unavailable. Maybe it's in audiobook somewhere?
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

andrewtater wrote:Is "Sword Brother" part of the Baen free library? I haven't found a copy of it anywhere, and none of my local book stores, nor used book stores, have a copy.

Sword Brother
is included in the Baen free library version of Oath Of Swords. It is NOT available separately, but only in the eBook and later editions of Oath of Swords
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to War God