Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Wencit's foreknowledge

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Wencit's foreknowledge
Post by ericth   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:23 pm

ericth
Commander

Another possibility is *sending a message* back through time from a future Wencit to the Wencit of The Fall, laying out what he must do to win.

Or even possibly scrying from other universe Wencits providing intelligence briefings.
Post by Reader_of_Fiction   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Reader_of_Fiction
Ensign

Knightfire said a while back: "Your wrong about Wizards being able to go back into the past. Wencit specifically said that it is possible. Just not possible to go into the future."

I'm curious, if a wizard travels back in time, is he stuck since you can't travel to the future? Just wondering.
Very Key Passage Found on Wencit's Foreknowledge
Post by Knightfire   » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:03 am

Knightfire
Ensign

Ok, First Wencit said 1 in 10,000 wizards can time travel. He discusses the issue with Kenhodan when discussing the Dragon Ward in Sword of the South. In it he says no one can travel forward beyond the frame of his own experience. However travel to the past is possible. During the discussion he discusses the normal time travel arguments on how traveling in the past may alter past events, may actually destroy the future from which he came...the loop problem and such and would have to be crazy desperate.

My solution to the gordian knot is the following and is supported by the quote that I found that I will put in at the end of this post. I believe that Wencit in a future where the Dark is about to triumph and there is no other chance sends his soul/knowledge into the past to the young Wencit's body. This transfer is similar to Kenhodan having Toren Sword Arm's soul/knowledge in his body. Wencit does this transfer having figured out that if he can just change a few key points like keeping Gwynna alive perhaps the light can win.

The biggest problem with this is it forces Wencit to live exactly as he has lived before even knowing the pain/hurt/and terrible events that are going to happen and CHANGE NOTHING other then the few key events he thinks will leverage a win. That is why he still lets Toren Sword Arm die but maybe transferring his soul/knowledge is a new difference. Sword of the South has him watching the last battle of Toren without interfering. I would suggest that the inability to change almost anything that happened before in order to leverage just a few key events would drive anyone mad and they would be unable to not change the past to some unknown future but this would destroy his own advantage.

The solution to not being driven mad is to make sure the younger Wencit only has limited access to the future knowledge at key points. At the very start of Sword of the South, Weber indicates that this is the situation. Wencit is following Kenhodan towards Bahzell's tavern and thinks the following:

"He watched the red-haired man enter the tavern without him, instead, for he knew something more then tempest prowled the night. He searched his mind at length and found no hint of what was to come, which was even more worrisome then it was unusual, but he cocked one eye speculatively upward and probed the storm...[b]

This suggests that Wencit has the ability to search his own mind when he needs a hint of the future and that most of the time he gets the foreknowledge that he needs. But I would bet he limits these searches to times when he is in danger and possibly a few other times but otherwise does not have future knowledge.
[/b]
Post by Gwapo   » Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Gwapo
Midshipman

It would appear that the mage talent of foresight is what Wencit has and considering that he was able to "break" Gwynna's "shield" and save her life, when all other magi thought wizards and magi could not interact in that fashion would seem to me to suggest that either Wencit started the mage talents or has himself all the mage talents.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue May 24, 2016 12:58 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Gwapo wrote:It would appear that the mage talent of foresight is what Wencit has and considering that he was able to "break" Gwynna's "shield" and save her life, when all other magi thought wizards and magi could not interact in that fashion would seem to me to suggest that either Wencit started the mage talents or has himself all the mage talents.

Or as a wild wizard, he can simulate the mage talents
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to War God