Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Wencit's foreknowledge

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Wencit's foreknowledge
Post by Knightfire   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Knightfire
Ensign

Going from memory but the change in history doesn't seem to mean as much. The idea being that all the strands are coming together and that this is a major nexus point with a victory by either side leading to uncountable victories in multiple universes. I might be wrong but I remember the conversations that Barzel had with the gods and with Wencit indicating that this universe holds some extra importance because of all the ones that follow it.

If it is a nexus point then even going back in time to a slightly different time line would mean Wencit would be doing that in multiple universes and hopefully leading to victory in multiple universes. It would matter which one he jumped to because so many versions of him would be doing it.
Post by AClone   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:22 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

I believe that RFC has also said now, on multiple occasions, that wizards don't travel in time if they have a choice.
Post by dan92677   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:00 am

dan92677
Commander

I think that Gwynna is going to find, retrieve, and wear the crown!

However, not 'till book#5 or so, darn it...
Post by rustynut   » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 pm

rustynut
Midshipman

IMO the key to Wencit's knowledge can be summed up in two words - "Dragons" and "Timestorm".

Dragons can see time a bit like the Gods, so looking ahead during the fall they saw death or slavery for their species if the carnadosans won.

The strafing of Kontovar would have been a good cover for the dragons creating a timestorm to grab Torren and the sword to put them in the future.
Wencit may be linked to the timestorm.
Post by kevinrs   » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:39 am

kevinrs
Midshipman

Though I haven't got to reading Sword of the South, but from reading through War Maid's Choice, after seeing this discussion, some points occurred to me, that may shine some light on Wencit's knowledge.

1. Wencit is a wild wizard, with eyes glowing in all colors.
2. Bahzell had the same glowing eyes temporarily.
3. Wencit is essentially immortal, or at least very long lived.
4. No mention was made of other "Wild Wizards"
5. Mention of time travel back in time being possible was mentioned.
6. Wencit seems to be extremely protective of Leeana, threatening an even greater attack on Kontovar than the one a thousand years ago.
7. Wencit mentioned the rare offspring of Human and Hradani being very powerful wizards, due to their direct connection to the underlying power in the universe.

Where else would a "Wild Wizard" come from than being a hybrid human/hradani. With his foreknowledge, leading to the reasonable proposition that he traveled back over 1000 years,

I'm coming to the possible conclusion that Wencit is the son of Leeanna and Bahzell.
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:58 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SotS spoilers - still to be warned about?

Kytheros wrote:Oooh ... what if he's so protective of Gwynna because she did/will do something to provide him warning/foreknowledge? Mage abilities may interact with Time differently than wizardly abilities, and thus may allow for a predestination paradox in the same timeline (at least, under certain conditions).

Gwynna sending messages back in time has, alas, no evidence behind it yet, but then, how Wencit knows what he knows is something he and RFC are playing tight to their vest, so that doesn't mean much.

Some charming things about this speculation though are that:
1 - It doesn't make Wencit out as being or doing anything stranger than the text already commits him to, which is plenty.
2 - It's easily snuck in as a possibility among Gwynna's grab-bag of every known mage talent plus new ones. It's just one more new one: she can send messages into the past. Given her communion with Wencit, she's plausibly got the information to send back to him.
3 - It accounts for Wencit's protectiveness of Gwynna and Leanna. (Leanna, as Gwynna's mother, and not nearly as hard to hurt with wizardry as her hradani Champion of Tomanak father; Gwynna, directly.) This is, of course, in addition to Wencit's protectiveness of his friends - not something to discount, but not something that would justify re-strafing Kontovar.
Post by Duncan_Macdonald   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Duncan_Macdonald
Midshipman

From Sword Brother - Wencit and Tremala

"Her eyes narrowed, then dropped to the sword at his side and widened in sudden, shocked understanding. No wonder he knew so much, had managed to predict so many attacks so accurately!"

To judge from that - his sword is a major artifact.

JeffEngel wrote:SotS spoilers - still to be warned about?

Kytheros wrote:Oooh ... what if he's so protective of Gwynna because she did/will do something to provide him warning/foreknowledge? Mage abilities may interact with Time differently than wizardly abilities, and thus may allow for a predestination paradox in the same timeline (at least, under certain conditions).

Gwynna sending messages back in time has, alas, no evidence behind it yet, but then, how Wencit knows what he knows is something he and RFC are playing tight to their vest, so that doesn't mean much.

1 - It doesn't make Wencit out as being or doing anything stranger than the text already commits him to, which is plenty.
2 - It's easily snuck in as a possibility among Gwynna's grab-bag of every known mage talent plus new ones. It's just one more new one: she can send messages into the past. Given her communion with Wencit, she's plausibly got the information to send back to him.
3 - It accounts for Wencit's protectiveness of Gwynna and Leanna. (Leanna, as Gwynna's mother, and not nearly as hard to hurt with wizardry as her hradani Champion of Tomanak father; Gwynna, directly.) This is, of course, in addition to Wencit's protectiveness of his friends - not something to discount, but not something that would justify re-strafing Kontovar.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:49 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Duncan_Macdonald wrote:From Sword Brother - Wencit and Tremala

"Her eyes narrowed, then dropped to the sword at his side and widened in sudden, shocked understanding. No wonder he knew so much, had managed to predict so many attacks so accurately!"

Several times, when an evil doer is getting their com-upance - trapped by Wencit inside his wild fire 'dome' - there is a reveal of some totally unsuspected glamour, showing Wencit to be...?

I sort of wonder if maybe this is actually one of the Gods of Light - maybe Orr? But on the other hand, if that were so, Wencit would not get so lonely.

PS I have to say how much I enjoyed SofS!
Post by Peter2   » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kytheros wrote:
[SNIP]

Oooh ... what if he's so protective of Gwynna because she did/will do something to provide him warning/foreknowledge? Mage abilities may interact with Time differently than wizardly abilities, and thus may allow for a predestination paradox in the same timeline (at least, under certain conditions).

I think we have yet to learn precisely what and who Gwynna is and will be. Two clues I've spotted are (i) there are clear indications during her "mage crisis" that she can recognise the wild magic, and (ii) during her mage training, somebody (I can't remember who, offhand) remarks "She has them all", which I assume refers to the various manifestations of the mage talent.

This is very probably way off-target, but a mage powered by wild magic would be a fearsomely powerful entity.
Post by ericth   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:21 pm

ericth
Commander

Duncan_Macdonald wrote:From Sword Brother - Wencit and Tremala

When I first read that passage I thought Wencit was carrying the Sword of the South. RFC mentioned it an infodump years ago and I recalled it at the time.

Return to War God