Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

SoS information from old data dump re Baen Bar(Spoiler?)

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SoS information from old data dump re Baen Bar(Spoiler?)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Knightfire wrote:not only dropped both of them but killed almost every man (and creature) of the army Herrick had brought to the ball, as well. Unfortunately, the Carnadosans still had several

I think its interesting that instead of saying they "died" it only says it "dropped" both of them but killed almost every man. Why not write is as killing Torren, his brother and everyone else. Why "dropped" and not "killed"?

It is an odd choice of words. and we could indeed being dealing with another "Hector's mortal wounds", but if Toren were still alive would Wencit have strafed Kontovar. The implication from the text is that this was to happen only after the death of Toren, as a last ditch attempt to protect the remnants fleeing from Kontovar to Norfressa.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

And it could be that RFC used this term in order to induce a lot of mad speculation about the use of the term dropped.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:33 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote:And it could be that RFC used this term in order to induce a lot of mad speculation about the use of the term dropped.

Which would only emphasize, that he has a very good sense for semantics ...
Post by Louis R   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

all i can really say is that when himself first said it we understood that the fight dropped them the same way a hunter drops a buck.

in both cases, it's a rather permanent condition, although i doubt that Torren's head is decorating a wall in Trofrolantha. mind you, that would mostly be because of a lack of opportunity, not a lack of interest in trophy collection.

Eagleeye wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:And it could be that RFC used this term in order to induce a lot of mad speculation about the use of the term dropped.

Which would only emphasize, that he has a very good sense for semantics ...
Post by Polyglot   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:27 am

Polyglot
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

[quote="Knightfire"]not only dropped both of them but killed almost every man (and creature) of the army Herrick had brought to the ball, as well. Unfortunately, the Carnadosans still had several

Quote]

I had to re-read the info dump very carefully, and realized that I had always thought the 'dropped' term referred to artifacts, not the princes. I was mistaken, but got confused in all of the references to 'the crown' as the actual artifact and 'the crown' as the individual who wielded its authority. But the actual Crown of Ottovar was long gone by the death of Toren (and I really don't think there's much chance that he's not well and truly and permanently dead).

so- where's the crown??? Seriously, where could it be hidden that "even Wencit wasn't going to be able to find'?

Also, as I postulated in the thread in the release of the cover, I'd always thought that Wencit bore the Sword of the South, and it was just so old and lost from current memory that no one else recognized it anymore (there are hints in OOS that Wencit's blade is more than just good steel), and then in Sword Brother, there's that glamour that what's-her-name glimpses through for just a moment and recognizes something significant about Wencit, which I had thought could be masking some identifying feature of his sword, but now I don't think so. After seeing the cover, I think the titular sword is probably the one featured front & center on the cover, and it's in Kenhodan's hands, not Wencit's. (Although Wencit's sword is lit up and sparkling, but that's probably coming from Wencit's power, rather than from within the sword.)

& as for the harp... Is that not the one we saw Chesmirsa herself play in a damp fire-lit cave? & the wording of the blurb continues to bother me....

an eleven-year old girl with a heart of harp music knows the answers to all of Kenhodan's questions

What does that mean? A heart for harp music, I could understand, but this...?

I WANNA READ THE BOOK!. :D
Post by DDHvi   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 am

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Polyglot wrote:

Somewhere in the Bible, it says that trouble (implied, mixed with faith in God) brings patience.

Fiction is fun, but patience aka persistence, can be very useful in the real world. Practice, brother, practice. :D

I've not yet had spare time to read all the DW books. Of course, at the rate he is increasing the list . . .. :cry:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Polyglot   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Polyglot

DDHvi wrote:
Polyglot wrote:

Somewhere in the Bible, it says that trouble (implied, mixed with faith in God) brings patience.

Fiction is fun, but patience aka persistence, can be very useful in the real world. Practice, brother, practice. :D

I've not yet had spare time to read all the DW books. Of course, at the rate he is increasing the list . . .. :cry:

:oops:
Oh, yes... Patience is a learned quality, and best learned with divine tutoring...
In the meantime, I've restarted the Safehold series-that ought to hold me for at least a week or two (but not if we keep having snow days!) ;)
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Forgive my ignorance about this series, but did the short story about Toren Swordhand mentioned in the infodump ever get written? If so what is it called and where can I find it?
Thanks.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Forgive my ignorance about this series, but did the short story about Toren Swordhand mentioned in the infodump ever get written? If so what is it called and where can I find it?
Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, it did not. The only things published in this series are
Oath of Swords and in the expanded version Sword Brother
The War God's Own
Wind Riders Oath
War Maids Choice
and to be published (teased by snippets)
Sword of the South
========================

Post by looksbeforeheleaps   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm

looksbeforeheleaps

First, I don't think Kenhodan can be Toren or anyone else from the Fall of Kontovar or before. He knows Wencit as the man who destroyed Kontovar, he is not particularly surprised to see dwarves, humans and elves mingling freely in a bar (the races were not completely separate before the fall but did not mix as freely as they do in Norfressa) and he recognizes the direcat (a Norfressan species) and the War Maid garrotte.

On the other hand, he is surprised at seeing Hradani mixing with the other races, and has never heard of Bahzell despite Brandark's song having been joined by other ballads about Bahzell. This suggests that whoever imposed his memory loss did more than simply erase anything related to his identity, or else he has been isolated from Norfressan society between the time of OoS and SotS.

We can't rule out extensive but very specifically targeted memory loss but if that isn't the answer, he might have been out of circulation for a period of time (50 to 1000 years), or he might be from an alternate Norfressa where Bahzell never became a Champion, or he may be an recent refugee from Kontovar.

We don't have enough information to do more than speculate which of those four possibilities are true. So my question is whether anyone can come up with other plausible answers?

Return to War God