Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

SofTS Official Snippet #8

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SofTS Official Snippet #8
Post by Lunan   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:29 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:Guys ---

I'm very sorry for how late this one is coming in. Sharon has been really, really sick for the last couple of weeks with a respiratory problem that just isn't going away, and while she's been under the weather, I've had to pick up and carry a lot of other balls. There just haven't been enough hours in a day to keep up with everything, I'm afraid. Anyway, this one's a bit longer as a sort of consolation prize.

Never apologize for taking care of family or yourself first!
we are your FANS thus it is important to us that you and yours are safe happy and healthy. if you can post, or write because family needed you, then family needed you and thats more important. May she get better quickly (not for us but for you)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Yes, and what all of us responders are saying!

Howard True Map-addict

ksandgren wrote:Thanks rfc, both for this snippet and the one for Safehold. Best wishes and prayers for you and for Sharon.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

I must say that, for one whose's memory has been stolen,
this one remembers a lot!

Starting with his memory of the language they speak,
continuing with his ability to reason from premises,
and now with Wencit himself, and what he did in Kontovar.

HTM

runsforcelery wrote:
“You mean . . . You’re saying someone took my memory?”

“Precisely. And that means you’re already part of someone’s plans.

“But . . . why?” The younger man shook his head, eyes dark.
[snip - htm]

CHAPTER TWO: Friends at Need

Wencit of Rūm!” The redhaired man stared open-mouthed for at least ten seconds, then shook himself as if to fight his shock physically. “You’re the wizard who destroyed Kontovar?!”
[snip - htm]

Post by Polyglot   » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 am

Polyglot
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Ditto to all the above comments. Because there were no new snippets last week, I probably got more work of my own done! (But now it's time to take break & enjoy yours...)

Best wishes to Sharon; take good care of her!
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Real Life memory loss is very rarely total memory loss.

Of course, there could two parties involved.

One to cause his loss of personal knowledge and another to give him knowledge of Bahzell's world.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I must say that, for one whose's memory has been stolen,

HTM

runsforcelery wrote:

[snip - htm]

Wencit of Rūm!” The redhaired man stared open-mouthed for at least ten seconds, then shook himself as if to fight his shock physically. “You’re the wizard who destroyed Kontovar?!”
[snip - htm]

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:31 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I must say that, for one whose's memory has been stolen,

HTM

runsforcelery wrote:

[snip - htm]

[snip - htm]

It is pretty clear that there has been some selective memory editing going on - the exact reasons for which are to be revealed.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Graydon   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Graydon
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:It is pretty clear that there has been some selective memory editing going on - the exact reasons for which are to be revealed.

Dude's got more scars than any recent history of organized conflict will support. (You generally wind up dead, not with scars, without a support organization; one scar, sure. Many? No. This isn't some guy who has been knocked about, they've got a ridiculous amount of formal military battle experience, where there were people to haul them to the medics and get them care.)

Wencit's been waiting for them for 1300 years.

Their head's a complete jumble; they've got the current language and a sort of tourist-guide set of social expectations but they don't know who they are or where, particularly.

We know time travel's possible but not necessarily well-advised.

What's plausibly Carnadosa Herself shows up to try to kill Wencit to get at this guy.

It's the last Emperor, bounced forward in time. Why that's important I couldn't begin to say, but that's looking like who this is. Brain-scrambling may be a mix of time-travel spell and side effects of fighting the nameless horror, there at the end.

(Maybe the younger brother/heir. But I'm going to go with Emperor.)
Post by jsburbidge   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:54 pm

jsburbidge
Ensign

Graydon wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:It is pretty clear that there has been some selective memory editing going on - the exact reasons for which are to be revealed.

Dude's got more scars than any recent history of organized conflict will support. (You generally wind up dead, not with scars, without a support organization; one scar, sure. Many? No. This isn't some guy who has been knocked about, they've got a ridiculous amount of formal military battle experience, where there were people to haul them to the medics and get them care.)

Their head's a complete jumble; they've got the current language and a sort of tourist-guide set of social expectations but they don't know who they are or where, particularly.

What's plausibly Carnadosa Herself shows up to try to kill Wencit to get at this guy.

It's the last Emperor, bounced forward in time. Why that's important I couldn't begin to say, but that's looking like who this is. Brain-scrambling may be a mix of time-travel spell and side effects of fighting the nameless horror, there at the end.

I'm guessing that, what with coincidence being minimal around Champions, that he's the young boy Bahzell rescued from Baron Dunsahnta, who had his chest pretty thoroughly carved up.

I'd agree that he's probably a descendant of the house of Ottovar, able to use its heirlooms (and Weber has elsewhere identified the Sword of the South as a main heirloom of the House. He knows too much about current items (e.g. War Maid ranks) to be from 1300 years ago.
Post by Cartref   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

A tuely excellent snippet.

May your Sharon get well soon, its never easy running the house & family on your own, no matter what the age of the children

Cheers & beers
Post by Vince   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Graydon wrote:

IIRC, time travel is possible for (only some) wizards to travel only into the past. And not into the same universe's past the wizard was in before they traveled into the past, but a different (alternate? parallel?) universe's past.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to War God