Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

SotS Snippet #6

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Snippet #6
Post by dan92677   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 am

dan92677
Commander

RHWoodman wrote:Thanks, RFC.

“Hardly surprising.” The old man sat opposite him and spooned up stew, regarding him through the aromatic steam. “It’s . . . unpleasant to realize one has no past.”

What an interesting, mysterious statement! :)

Perhaps it has been taken from him to motivate him to do something to get it back??? The plot thickens....!
Post by Invictus   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 am

Invictus
Commander

RHWoodman wrote:Thanks, RFC.

“Hardly surprising.” The old man sat opposite him and spooned up stew, regarding him through the aromatic steam. “It’s . . . unpleasant to realize one has no past.”

What an interesting, mysterious statement! :)

Agreed!
Could he mean it literally? Do we now know this poor gent's entire history? Where did this character appear from?

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Sharidann   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:13 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

He came out of the dark (yes, reference intended :mrgreen: )...

My pet theory:
last king of Kontrovar, magically transported to the then and now by Wencit with his memories wiped...

Why ? Perhaps one Needs someone of royal kontrovarian Blood to use certain artifacts...

just my 0,0000002 cp...

Ah and me thinks, this passage is in the first chapter of the book, hence, hard to see where the guy Comes from....

Agreed!
Could he mean it literally? Do we now know this poor gent's entire history? Where did this character appear from?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Sharidann wrote:

Agreed!
He came out of the dark (yes, reference intended :mrgreen: )...

My pet theory:
last king of Kontrovar, magically transported to the then and now by Wencit with his memories wiped...

Why ? Perhaps one Needs someone of royal kontrovarian Blood to use certain artifacts...

just my 0,0000002 cp...

Ah and me thinks, this passage is in the first chapter of the book, hence, hard to see where the guy Comes from....

IIRC there is textev (perhaps a infodump) that the last king of Kontovar was killed in the final fighting during the evacuation.

It has been posited (based on the cover blurb from Amazon) that this is (a?) Ken Houghton (from Sword Brother), who has been brought here by someone/something for whatever purposes (a line of tum te tum te tum is appropriate here), and that that action wiped his memory for whatever reason. What is a little more interesting is that Wencit seems to be aware of the memory loss before Leeana informs him of it, and it fact, has been tracking this guy for some period of time (indeterminate).
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote:IIRC there is textev (perhaps a infodump) that the last king of Kontovar was killed in the final fighting during the evacuation.

The Textev (sort of, at least) is in Snippet 1 of SotS:
SotS, Snippet 1 wrote:He turned away as the stone’s tiny Emperor turned to face the blackness. A full battalion of the Guard fell, life riven away by the deadly kiss of twisted magic. The blackness passed over them and stooped upon the Emperor as Wencit opened the door, and Toren’s glowing sword vanished in the darkness. The stubborn line about his banner bent at last, yielding the ground soaked by its blood inch by savagely fought inch as its ring contracted toward the spot where arch-wizard and Emperor fought to the death.

ok, it's not written, that the emperor actually died - but the probability should be extreme high ...
Post by Sharidann   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:21 am

Sharidann

Err, not sure I buy that line about Ken Houghton...

Bahzell ought to have recognized him at once....

and it was always claimed that Sword Brothers was "non Canon"....
fallsfromtrees wrote:IIRC there is textev (perhaps a infodump) that the last king of Kontovar was killed in the final fighting during the evacuation.

It has been posited (based on the cover blurb from Amazon) that this is (a?) Ken Houghton (from Sword Brother), who has been brought here by someone/something for whatever purposes (a line of tum te tum te tum is appropriate here), and that that action wiped his memory for whatever reason. What is a little more interesting is that Wencit seems to be aware of the memory loss before Leeana informs him of it, and it fact, has been tracking this guy for some period of time (indeterminate).
Post by Sharidann   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:22 am

Sharidann

Eagleeye wrote:ok, it's not written, that the emperor actually died - but the probability should be extreme high ...

I had that Quote in mind as I posted... I agree with you about the probability but it is not a certainty at this Point..

I can already hear the humtidum in the Background if David reads this. :mrgreen:
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:44 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

David Weber has hinted that the events in "Sword Brother" were in an alternate universe not the main Bahzell universe.

Thus this Bahzell has never met Ken Houghton.

Assuming of course, this red-haired person is the Ken Houghton of "Sword Brother". :twisted: :twisted:

Sharidann wrote:Err, not sure I buy that line about Ken Houghton...

Bahzell ought to have recognized him at once....

and it was always claimed that Sword Brothers was "non Canon"....

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I might also add that this Ken Houghton might not have met Bahzell in any universe prior to this meeting.

DrakBibliophile wrote:David Weber has hinted that the events in "Sword Brother" were in an alternate universe not the main Bahzell universe.

Thus this Bahzell has never met Ken Houghton.

Assuming of course, this red-haired person is the Ken Houghton of "Sword Brother". :twisted: :twisted:

Post by dan92677   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 pm

dan92677
Commander

With rfc one never knows, does one...

Return to War God