Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

SotS Official Snippet #4

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Official Snippet #4
Post by feyhunde   » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:05 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:It is not that hradani-human matings were infertile. It was that the offspring from such a mating are sterile - There will be no grandchildren for Bahzell and Leeana, unless of course the gods intervene again, and help their daughter out.

Or magic. She's half Hradani, and her mother is Noble (Old Kontovaran noblity even). The Sothoii nobles are descended from the Sword Brothers per http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... essa/226/0 and they included cadet branches of the house of Ottovar. Thus Leeana has wizard blood. And, we've seen others of the Sothoii nobility with gifts.

The discussion of a half-Hradani wizard is a clear Chekhov's gun. I think our fair Gwynna's mage crisis and keeping her safe is going to be the plot of the book.
Post by Nick   » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:46 am

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

feyhunde wrote:
Or magic. She's half Hradani, and her mother is Noble (Old Kontovaran noblity even). The Sothoii nobles are descended from the Sword Brothers per http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... essa/226/0 and they included cadet branches of the house of Ottovar. Thus Leeana has wizard blood. And, we've seen others of the Sothoii nobility with gifts.

The discussion of a half-Hradani wizard is a clear Chekhov's gun. I think our fair Gwynna's mage crisis and keeping her safe is going to be the plot of the book.

My personal theory on the Hradani/Human children, based on what Wencit said and how he said it, is that they are the ones with the potential to become Wild Wizards. Meaning that yes, I think Wencit is half Hradani. Certainly there's something special about them, and magic is definitely a part of it.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:21 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Nick wrote:
feyhunde wrote:

My personal theory on the Hradani/Human children, based on what Wencit said and how he said it, is that they are the ones with the potential to become Wild Wizards. Meaning that yes, I think Wencit is half Hradani. Certainly there's something special about them, and magic is definitely a part of it.

While it's been an entertaining debate, :lol: I suppose I should point out that Wencit is not and never has been half-hradani. In addition, there has never been an Orfressan half-hradani wild wizard. What Wencit specifically said was that humans are the carriers of wizardry and that all wizards have been human or a human-[insert other Race of Man here] hybrid. The original (and most powerful) wild wizard of all time was Ottovar the Great whose human descendants ruled his empire for about 10,000 years until the Fall of Kontovar.

Hope this clarifies all possible questions [he said innocently, walking away with hands in pockets and whistling tunelessly . . . .] :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:52 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

It should end this debate but I'm sure that it'll start others. ;)

runsforcelery wrote:
Nick wrote:

While it's been an entertaining debate, :lol: I suppose I should point out that Wencit is not and never has been half-hradani. In addition, there has never been an Orfressan half-hradani wild wizard. What Wencit specifically said was that humans are the carriers of wizardry and that all wizards have been human or a human-[insert other Race of Man here] hybrid. The original (and most powerful) wild wizard of all time was Ottovar the Great whose human descendants ruled his empire for about 10,000 years until the Fall of Kontovar.

Hope this clarifies all possible questions [he said innocently, walking away with hands in pockets and whistling tunelessly . . . .] :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:55 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Recall the blurb. Just who is that 11 year old girl that Wencit loves so dearly? I suspect that we will find out in the next two weeks.

RFC mentioned Wencit has never been half hradani. Perhaps he is quarter hradani and is the grandson of Leeana? I doubt Wencit is directly related to Leeana, but since we are all parsing RFC's comments I thought I would toss by two bits into the mix.

DrakBibliophile wrote:It should end this debate but I'm sure that it'll start others. ;)

runsforcelery wrote:

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:13 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

DrakBibliophile wrote:It should end this debate but I'm sure that it'll start others. ;)

PeterZ wrote:Recall the blurb. Just who is that 11 year old girl that Wencit loves so dearly? I suspect that we will find out in the next two weeks.

RFC mentioned Wencit has never been half hradani. Perhaps he is quarter hradani and is the grandson of Leeana? I doubt Wencit is directly related to Leeana, but since we are all parsing RFC's comments I thought I would toss by two bits into the mix.

Interesting suggestion. Another point that just leapt out at me was the statement
runsforcelery wrote:In addition, there has never been an Orfressan half-hradani wild wizard.
My bolding. Is this implying that there have been Kontovarian half-hradini wild wizards (before the fall of Kontovar?
Also the blurb doesn't indicate that the 11 year old girl is Leeana and Bahzell's. A heart of harp music sounds as if she has been touched by Chemirsa, which doesn't seem likely for a child of Bahzell and Leeana, but might well be a child of Brandark's - whom we haven't heard of so far - hard to believe he wouldn't be in a bar with Bahzell.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:05 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Interesting suggestion. Another point that just leapt out at me was the statement
runsforcelery wrote:In addition, there has never been an Orfressan half-hradani wild wizard.
My bolding. Is this implying that there have been Kontovarian half-hradini wild wizards (before the fall of Kontovar?
Also the blurb doesn't indicate that the 11 year old girl is Leeana and Bahzell's. A heart of harp music sounds as if she has been touched by Chemirsa, which doesn't seem likely for a child of Bahzell and Leeana, but might well be a child of Brandark's - whom we haven't heard of so far - hard to believe he wouldn't be in a bar with Bahzell.

Orfressa is the name of the entire world. Norfressa is the continent this all takes place on, and Kontovar is the southern continent.

Now the use of "has been" could mean one is coming at some point. Don't marry the idea, mind you, but it's certainly possible.

But even if a potential one has now been born, without his or her "crisis" yet gone through he/she is not YET a "wild" wizard, and thus the statement remains technically true. Even if this child will become one in the future (assuming of course she survives long enough, though that's fairly likely), she is not one YET.
Post by feyhunde   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:57 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:

Well, this shorts out the theory that Wencit is time traveler child of Bazhell/Leena now in two ways.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:28 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

feyhunde wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Well, this shorts out the theory that Wencit is time traveler child of Bazhell/Leena now in two ways.

But doesn't rule out a quarter-hradani as Wencit (i.e. Bahzell's grandson. It would still explain his protection of Leeana - she's granny, and needs to be protected until she gives birth to either his mother or father. (Not that I think this is what MWW is doing - I think that it is something even more twisted).
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Nick   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:

So much for that idea. Not that I mind having you shoot down my theories, RFC. Quite the opposite! I'd rather know I'm wrong and get to start over making new theories for you [s]confirm[/s] tear apart. ;) Thanks!

Return to War God