Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

SotS Official Snippet #4

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Official Snippet #4
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Sorry, but the thing about human-hradani matings is that the children of such matings can't have children.

Thus there's no such thing as a "quarter-hradani". :)

fallsfromtrees wrote:
feyhunde wrote:Well, this shorts out the theory that Wencit is time traveler child of Bazhell/Leena now in two ways.

But doesn't rule out a quarter-hradani as Wencit (i.e. Bahzell's grandson. It would still explain his protection of Leeana - she's granny, and needs to be protected until she gives birth to either his mother or father. (Not that I think this is what MWW is doing - I think that it is something even more twisted).
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Polyglot   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Polyglot
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:
PeterZ wrote:
[snip]

I am not yet convinced that this is indeed our Bahzell and Leeana. The direcat is too large an anomaly. I am guessing Gwynna to be about 10 years old as our stranger describes her as a child. That means our Bahzell or Leeana had to raise/befriend the direcat within 10 years of their wedding. While that's possible, how would that have happened given the events that ended WMC? Our two love birds would have been busier than one legged men in a butt kicking contest. Raising and training/familiarizing even intelligent animals into human society would require a huge devotion of time.

[snip]

I would agree with you completely but for one thing; we don't know how intelligent this direcat is, or whether or not somebody has been "interfering". You may well be right, but . . .

I think the odds of Blanchrach being *just* a direcat are diddley/squat.

I love it that:
1) a jet-black cat is named "white anger" (in rough translation). I guess deathly pale is what people go when they see him curled up under the dining room table for the first time, and calling it "Snowball" just wouldn't give the same nuance...
2) Leeana refers to the direcat as "my daughter's friend"- an interesting choice of words?

My guess is that the 'cat was a gift from Wencit to Gwynna at her birth, or shortly thereafter; the direcat is in some way magical, and possibly even emotionally/psychically linked to Gwynna. They obviously trust the direcat completely, and I just don't see that happening with one that was merely "tamed."
Post by Polyglot   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Polyglot

runsforcelery wrote:

It wasn’t a question, and he shook his head numbly. Her face hardened, her eyes flicked to her daughter, and she spat a brief sentence in a strange tongue. Gwynna’s hands lowered from her mouth instantly, and she stepped back, her own eyes wide as the direcat crouched, tail lashing, and its deep rumble pulsed. The others in the kitchen — including two powerful, dagger-armed hradani — stepped back to give Leeana and the cat room.

Hurgrumese?
Post by dan92677   » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:22 am

dan92677
Commander

Well, one thing for sure, the cat certainly understands who is in charge!
Post by Polyglot   » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Polyglot

dan92677 wrote:Well, one thing for sure, the cat certainly understands who is in charge!

:D
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Polyglot wrote:
dan92677 wrote:Well, one thing for sure, the cat certainly understands who is in charge!

:D

Although the direcat is referred to as Gwynna's friend (not pet), so you wonder how intelligent it is.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by johnb   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:29 am

johnb

Most un-catlike behaviour in my opinion. :shock: Most cats make it very clear that THEY are in charge :lol:
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

johnb wrote:

Most un-catlike behaviour in my opinion. :shock: Most cats make it very clear that THEY are in charge :lol:

Yeah. Do you really want to cross swords with someone who makes a direcat behave? Only if you are feeling particularly suicidal.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Polyglot   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Polyglot

I've been wondering about Gwynna's education. She's still quite young, but think about her parents' skill sets and what they would consider necessary for survival. Did her mother 'toss her into a saddle before she could walk'? Has her father taught her to 'hold a dagger like she knows which end is sharp'? I can't imagine them not teaching her these things, so their lives must involve more than just a kitchen and bar.

How are Bahzell and Leanna keeping in training? Surely they haven't completely given up their warrior skills. I wonder if Bahzell has maintained a relationship with the Belhadan chapter of the Order of Tomanak. :?:
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Polyglot wrote:I've been wondering about Gwynna's education. She's still quite young, but think about her parents' skill sets and what they would consider necessary for survival. Did her mother 'toss her into a saddle before she could walk'? Has her father taught her to 'hold a dagger like she knows which end is sharp'? I can't imagine them not teaching her these things, so their lives must involve more than just a kitchen and bar.

How are Bahzell and Leanna keeping in training? Surely they haven't completely given up their warrior skills. I wonder if Bahzell has maintained a relationship with the Belhadan chapter of the Order of Tomanak. :?:

Certainly all interesting questions, and hopefully to be answered in the next few snippets. It would indeed be surprising if Bahzell did not have a relationship with the Belhadan chapter, unless he has totally forsworn his oath to Tomanak - and that ain't happening.
========================

Return to War God