Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

SotS Official Snippet #3

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Official Snippet #3
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

We know you? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

runsforcelery wrote:
Bahzellstudent wrote:Well that's me good and confused! But liking what I'm reading - so the fact that I can't predict what happens next just means that I am not an author, and certainly not one as good as RFC

You guys are so cute! :lol:

Why do you insist in assigning such Byzantine motives to me? :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:52 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:snip
For that matter, if a hradani would raise a few eye-brows, a hradani married to a human woman would raise even more.

Couple of assumptions here. One that the bar keep is married to Leeana, and two that the woman is human. Thee is in fact no textev in these snippets for either.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Nick   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

akira.taylor wrote:
Bahzell's height: actually, he is identified as over a foot shorter than normal (6'6", instead of 7'9"), but I would guess that is viewer imprecision, and a typo.

Direcats: I believe we see one in Oath of Swords, when Bahzell and Brandark meet ... Tomanak's sister the Bard (that's how they find the cave).

Being somewhat less altitude enhanced myself, I tend to just think of everyone over 6'6" or so falling into the same "very tall" category. In this case, it seems the 6'6" is referring to Kenhoudan's height, not our mystery hradani.

You're correct on where we've encountered the direcat (although in Oath of Swords it's "dire cat", two separate words). Bahzell meets a smaller version there prior to Chesmirsa's appearance, and mentions the larger cats that rule the Eastwall Mountains. Thanks!
Post by Nick   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:

Gee, I don't know. Whatever could it be. :roll:
Post by Lunan   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:04 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

well as to that i still have questions about a certain half-human/half-hradani child that may or may not turn out to become wencit

runsforcelery wrote:
Bahzellstudent wrote:Well that's me good and confused! But liking what I'm reading - so the fact that I can't predict what happens next just means that I am not an author, and certainly not one as good as RFC

Post by brnicholas   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Reading the responses I am confused.

Why do people assume Bahzell is tending the bar? It seems fully in character for him to be sitting at the entrance of the common room at the inn where he is spending the night and warmly greeting anyone who comes in. Spending a night in an inn while traveling is fully in character. And if warmly embracing a strange poor man who walked in isn't normal for him, it isn't all that abnormal either and, maybe Himself gave an order.

At this point I see no reason not to believe that this is our Bahzell and Leeana traveling together on business with a party of friends and retainers.

The direcat is new but I thought DW said this story was going to be set a number of years in the future and Bahzell has plenty of friends connected with Gods who might have acquired one in all kinds of ways.

Nicholas
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Yes, Bahzell would be willing to greet a stranger so warmly.

However, this hradani was acting as would a tavern owner would to a traveler coming in out of the rain not as a guest in the tavern would act.

If it was Bahzell, as a guest in the tavern, why would he call out to another guest about bringing food to a fellow traveler?

The hradani's words are those of the owner of the tavern or a person in charge of the tavern.

brnicholas wrote:Reading the responses I am confused.

Why do people assume Bahzell is tending the bar? It seems fully in character for him to be sitting at the entrance of the common room at the inn where he is spending the night and warmly greeting anyone who comes in. Spending a night in an inn while traveling is fully in character. And if warmly embracing a strange poor man who walked in isn't normal for him, it isn't all that abnormal either and, maybe Himself gave an order.

At this point I see no reason not to believe that this is our Bahzell and Leeana traveling together on business with a party of friends and retainers.

The direcat is new but I thought DW said this story was going to be set a number of years in the future and Bahzell has plenty of friends connected with Gods who might have acquired one in all kinds of ways.

Nicholas
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

brnicholas wrote:Reading the responses I am confused.

Why do people assume Bahzell is tending the bar?

because:

RunsForCelery
Snippet #13 wrote:
He inhaled cautiously, pulling his gaze away from the direcat by sheer force of will to look at whoever had spoken, and his nostrils widened in fresh astonishment. No stripling himself, he was overtopped by the man he faced, and his green eyes widened as he recognized a hradani. Not just any hradani, either. This was a giant among them; at six and a half feet, the redhaired man’s head barely topped the other’s shoulder. The white apron over the leathers of a fighting man — and the sheathed Wakūo hook knife at his hip — only added to the aura of unreality, for the hradani were the only foes more savage in combat than the huge direcat which sat with such bizarre daintiness at the giant’s side.

At the very least, the Bahzell and Leanna of the snippet are tending the bar for a friend, but jovial patrons don't generally wear the Barkeeep's apron just for kicks.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kaid   » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:12 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:

I blame vampires.

*ducks*
*runs away and hides before lightning bolts smite me.*
Post by brnicholas   » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Very good point. I had missed the apron and the other clothes don't point to Champion of Tomonak.

Nicholas

Weird Harold wrote:
At the very least, the Bahzell and Leanna of the snippet are tending the bar for a friend, but jovial patrons don't generally wear the Barkeeep's apron just for kicks.

Return to War God