Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

New concepts introduced in Sword Brother

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
New concepts introduced in Sword Brother
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

The novella Sword Brother (attached to the reprint of Oath of Swords) introduced a new of new concepts to the world of Norfressa.

Things like Armored personal carriers (self propelled), flash bangs, non magical high explosives, rapid firing personal weapons, etc.

Remembering that the Dark doesn't know about these things yet (as none of the servants of the Dark survived the assault on their lair), what effect are these new concepts going to have in this universe?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: New concepts introduced in Sword Brother
Post by tootall   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:47 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:The novella Sword Brother (attached to the reprint of Oath of Swords) introduced a new of new concepts to the world of Norfressa.

Things like Armored personal carriers (self propelled), flash bangs, non magical high explosives, rapid firing personal weapons, etc.

Remembering that the Dark doesn't know about these things yet (as none of the servants of the Dark survived the assault on their lair), what effect are these new concepts going to have in this universe?

Think I read somewhere that Sword Brother is not exactly "Canon". That is- it may have occurred not quite in the "universe" of the other stories.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

tootall wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:The novella Sword Brother (attached to the reprint of Oath of Swords) introduced a new of new concepts to the world of Norfressa.

Think I read somewhere that Sword Brother is not exactly "Canon". That is- it may have occurred not quite in the "universe" of the other stories.

I would really love to know where that was written, and was it written by MWW himself, since the story was. I can't imagine that he would write an additional story in the same (or extremely similar) universe, utilizing the same characters he has spent so long developing, and not have it be canon.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by johnb   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:27 am

johnb
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I see this as a sort of sideline that RFC has developed. Remember he has done this sort of between universes thing for the Honorverse.

I can envisage a conversation with a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, who might have had the initials KH, :lol: along the lines of "What Bazell really needs is a LAV and a couple of Marines along to help out."

Now RFC, knowing how the Marines are game for anything and adapt to bad situations very quickly, had an IDEA.

It's a way of showing support for the Armed Forces and having a bit of a joke on us, his readers.

Just an idea of mine form across the Atlantic

John

edited for typo
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:57 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

johnb wrote:I see this as a sort of sideline that RFC has developed. Remember he has done this sort of between universes thing for the Honorverse.

I can envisage a conversation with a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, who might have had the initials KH, :lol: along the lines of "What Bazell really needs is a LAV and a couple of Marines along to help out."

Now RFC, knowing how the Marines are game for anything and adapt to bad situations very quickly, had an IDEA.

It's a way of showing support for the Armed Forces and having a bit of a joke on us, his readers.

Just an idea of mine form across the Atlantic

John

edited for typo

He has indeed done that, but to the best of my knowledge, not as part of the officially published material. It has been done here, as the crossover between Safehold and Dahak that was posted a while back, and clearly indicated as "Not gonna happen". That doesn't seem to be the case here, so if MWW has indicated that such is the case here, I would love to know where.
========================

Post by Charybdis   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:57 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Considering that I was just writing in another posting (Free Range -> Books to Read ...) about RA Heinlein's "Number of the Beast", it strikes me that the concept in "Sword Brother" is very similar to Heinlein's characters popping up in other 'fictons' in that book. Could this be, at least in part, a kind of homage to Heinlein?

Just a thought ... ;)
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:01 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Charybdis wrote:

Considering that I was just writing in another posting (Free Range -> Books to Read ...) about RA Heinlein's "Number of the Beast", it strikes me that the concept in "Sword Brother" is very similar to Heinlein's characters popping up in other 'fictons' in that book. Could this be, at least in part, a kind of homage to Heinlein?

Just a thought ... ;)

I suppose it's possible. Sword Brother is somewhat hard to fit into the timeline of Bahzell's world. Since there is no mention of his wife, it has to be prior to WMC, but WMC has references to an ongoing project with Tremala, who ends up dying in SB, and SB has references to Varnaythus bad end, which doesn't occur until WMC.
========================

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:39 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Charybdis wrote:

Just a thought ... ;)
fallsfromtrees wrote:I suppose it's possible. Sword Brother is somewhat hard to fit into the timeline of Bahzell's world. Since there is no mention of his wife, it has to be prior to WMC, but WMC has references to an ongoing project with Tremala, who ends up dying in SB, and SB has references to Varnaythus bad end, which doesn't occur until WMC.

If the speculation about the new book has any validity, and KenHoden is in fact Ken Haughton, then I think that Sword Brother has just become canon.
========================

Post by PeterZ   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:45 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Sword Brother has always been cannon. The story illustrates what happened to an alternate Bahzell. Does the Dark win in that universe? Don't know how the choices around the inflection point were made. Kenhodan might, should he find his memory.

Return to War God