Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

SoftS Official Snippet #2

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SoftS Official Snippet #2
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

quark wrote:Hmm, I wonder who the old man could be.

My belief is that it is Wencit. The real question is who is the red headed man he is following?

My reasons for thinking it is Wencit? Just a impression from the description of the individual, not a firm reason I can put a name to.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by tootall   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

So when the next Safehold book can't be published for a year-da Man can do other things for a while.

This is wonderful!!!

Thanks Wizard.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

and another thank you for this second snippet; looking forward to a few more over the next weeks and months.

And my bet too that the old man is Wencit - he just has the right feel (but of course RFC has led us convincingly down the garden path before..!)
Post by BobG   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:46 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bahzellstudent wrote:
and another thank you for this second snippet; looking forward to a few more over the next weeks and months.

And my bet too that the old man is Wencit - he just has the right feel (but of course RFC has led us convincingly down the garden path before..!)

We already know Wencit is tolerated in The Empire...
Wizards might be tolerated — barely — in some realms; with one notable exception, however, they received short shrift and a long rope in Belhadan.

I've also noticed in DW's stories in this world that good magic is blue in color, and bad magic is green in color.
Finally, he shook his head, muttered something under his breath, and clapped his hands once, sharply. The sound of his clap vanished in a roll of thunder — a roll unaccompanied by any flash of lightning — and a blue hemisphere whuffed into existence about him. It was faint, its glow more sensed than seen even in the darkness, yet rain hissed into steam upon its surface, and he peered about alertly, eyes slitted against the faint blue haze.

So the wizard seems to be on the side of good, and AFAIK, there is only one good Wizard - although I don't know what will happen with Brandark or Bazhell's kids in the future.

-- Bob G

Insert pleading/begging/grovelling for the next snippet for HFQ here.
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by hvb   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:31 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Pay no attention to the proximate hand of the Mad Wizard as he waves it forcefully under your noses!
Wencit of a Former & Magically Byzantine Empire he be; by his accouterments and his actions, by his thoughts and his arts.

Nor let the author's sinister hand distract you with enemies unseen and yet drawn over your eyes!

Pray riddle me instead, who is the penniless red-haired youngster whose fate nonetheless shall prove pivotal to the future of two continents, that the gripping hand is slipping under a convenient stone (or tavern-roof as the case may be)?
:ugeek: :mrgreen: :twisted:

BobG wrote:Bahzellstudent wrote:

We already know Wencit is tolerated in The Empire...
Wizards might be tolerated — barely — in some realms; with one notable exception, however, they received short shrift and a long rope in Belhadan.

I've also noticed in DW's stories in this world that good magic is blue in color, and bad magic is green in color.
Finally, he shook his head, muttered something under his breath, and clapped his hands once, sharply. The sound of his clap vanished in a roll of thunder — a roll unaccompanied by any flash of lightning — and a blue hemisphere whuffed into existence about him. It was faint, its glow more sensed than seen even in the darkness, yet rain hissed into steam upon its surface, and he peered about alertly, eyes slitted against the faint blue haze.

So the wizard seems to be on the side of good, and AFAIK, there is only one good Wizard - although I don't know what will happen with Brandark or Bazhell's kids in the future.

-- Bob G

Insert pleading/begging/grovelling for the next snippet for HFQ here.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:22 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Kenhoden.....Ken Houghton. Red hair and probably 6'4" to boot. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Recall that Ken Houghton was accepted as a Champion of Tomanak. If the Dark can move their servants between worlds, why can't the Gods of Light....again?

We are so getting a huge dose of Steam Punk out of RFC's series. Multiverse, Safehold and now Bahzellverse. Odds are Bahzellverse has the coolest gizmos.
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Come on you all, don't you recognize Gandalf when you see him? :mrgreen:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by hvb   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:58 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes that name is quite the coinkidink ... in either meaning (if you take my meaning :lol: ).

As for cool gizmos in the Bazellverse, the Dwarves aren't quite there yet, but I can't wait to see what kind of clankety Clanks they are going to come up with. :geek:

I mean what with combining Steam power with Sarthnasikarmanthar ... which works on metals (if not quite as well perhaps) as well as base stone. :twisted:

PeterZ wrote:Kenhoden.....Ken Houghton. Red hair and probably 6'4" to boot. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Recall that Ken Houghton was accepted as a Champion of Tomanak. If the Dark can move their servants between worlds, why can't the Gods of Light....again?

We are so getting a huge dose of Steam Punk out of RFC's series. Multiverse, Safehold and now Bahzellverse. Odds are Bahzellverse has the coolest gizmos.
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:37 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

No weld tubes and tanks for steam engines. Machines joined together without welds and screws. Yes, very interesting gizoms on the horizon.

hvb wrote:Yes that name is quite the coinkidink ... in either meaning (if you take my meaning :lol: ).

As for cool gizmos in the Bazellverse, the Dwarves aren't quite there yet, but I can't wait to see what kind of clankety Clanks they are going to come up with. :geek:

I mean what with combining Steam power with Sarthnasikarmanthar ... which works on metals (if not quite as well perhaps) as well as base stone. :twisted:

PeterZ wrote:Kenhoden.....Ken Houghton. Red hair and probably 6'4" to boot. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Ok. I give up. Where did Kenhoden come from? I've reread the snippet, and the only thing that looks close is the name of the City, which we've seen before.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to War God