Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Norfressa Spoiler - Speculation on Evil allowed to live

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Norfressa Spoiler - Speculation on Evil allowed to live
Post by biochem   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:17 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

They knew what price this night’s work would demand of them, but they had lived as wizards; as wizards they would die, spending themselves against the evil they’d allowed to live.

What could they have done that allowed evil to live?

My thoughts on the possibilities

1. Inattention/complacency

Falling afoul of the risk of every sentry.

2. Misplaced mercy

Instead of executing he who would become the Lord of Carnadosa when the first caught him practicing black magic, they allowed him to live perhaps because he was young or did an excellent job of faking repentance or was a close relative of a highly respected council member.

3. Excessive tolerance

I've seen this on the fringes of the we just need to understand them movement. I've also heard it referred to as "so open minded your brains fall out". In this case Carnadosa is just another religion. The dark Gods aren't really dark, they're just misunderstood victims of the light God's propaganda. All God's are the same: they all have good and bad aspects.

4. Some combination of the above. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive. For example excessive tolerance and inattention could combine. Say for example the Carnadosian's were careful to restrict known sacrifices to animals and the occasional serial killer. They could play on the excessive tolerance by saying that we're not as bad as our reputation see we only sacrifice animals / the worst of the worst criminals while playing on inattention by sacrificing innocent victims in secret.
Re: Norfressa Spoiler - Speculation on Evil allowed to live
Post by teh_pos   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 am

teh_pos
Midshipman

If I'm reading this infodump correction, I'd say #1.
Post by biochem   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:13 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

teh_pos wrote:If I'm reading this infodump correction, I'd say #1.

I'd forgotten that infodump. I agree #1 with perhaps a dose of #2, no one wants to believe that their own son is a psychopath. If the Emperor had seen this behavior in anyone else's son, he may well have stopped it before it was too late.
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:46 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

biochem wrote:
They knew what price this night’s work would demand of them, but they had lived as wizards; as wizards they would die, spending themselves against the evil they’d allowed to live.

What could they have done that allowed evil to live?

I read it simply in the sense of what they had been unable to stop. 'Allowed' is a bit harsh, granted, but people with a strong sense of responsibility may well feel responsible for things not quite within their capacity to have prevented.

Return to War God