Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

SotS Snippet 1 [was The new Norfressa book]

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: The new Norfressa book
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:47 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Amazon.com lists this book at being available on 4 August 2015.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Peter2   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Oh boy, just am I glad I've found this! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it – thank you, RFC!
Post by justdave   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:35 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Peter2 wrote:Oh boy, just am I glad I've found this! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it – thank you, RFC!

and snippets!!!
Re: SotS Snippet 1 [was The new Norfressa book]
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks RFC - so excited by this; it is going to be difficult to wait until next August
Post by MPCatchup   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:23 pm

MPCatchup
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Guys —

Wencit opened the council chamber door and met the eyes of his fellows. In his unwatched crystal, the last Guardsman took his stand, his back to the tormented cloud which had engulfed his liege. His left hand held the staff of the Emperor’s banner, and the gryphon banner stirred sullenly on an angry wind, red silk sodden with a darker red, as the massive, wounded hradani — last captain of the Gryphon Guard of Ottovar – lashed out at his enemies. He reaped a gory harvest, but he was one and they were many. He fell before their hewing blades and the bodies of the Guard formed a ragged circle about the power-spewing blackness atop the hill. Violet lightnings flashed from the duel raging at its heart, and the arch-wizard’s own troops died in scores, screaming at their touch.

Has no one else picked up in the fact that a Captain of the Emperor's guard was a hradani? Is this the same universe a Bazhell or a different one because I though hardani at the time of the Fall were all forced to fight for the dark. Were some freed before the Fall and accepted by the other races? Did this fact not come across the ocean because the hardani were still hated for another 10,000 years after the fall?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:53 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Not all the hradani were forced to fight for the Dark.

When Wencit talked with Bahzell about this time, he talked the failure to protect more of them but some were under the Protection of the White Council.

Also, David Weber has posted info about this timeframe and the followup.

Some of the "original" hradani did escape to the other continent as well as some of the "modified" hradani.

Unfortunately, both types were hated/feared by the other Races of Men who reached the other continent.

MPCatchup wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Guys —

Wencit opened the council chamber door and met the eyes of his fellows. In his unwatched crystal, the last Guardsman took his stand, his back to the tormented cloud which had engulfed his liege. His left hand held the staff of the Emperor’s banner, and the gryphon banner stirred sullenly on an angry wind, red silk sodden with a darker red, as the massive, wounded hradani — last captain of the Gryphon Guard of Ottovar – lashed out at his enemies. He reaped a gory harvest, but he was one and they were many. He fell before their hewing blades and the bodies of the Guard formed a ragged circle about the power-spewing blackness atop the hill. Violet lightnings flashed from the duel raging at its heart, and the arch-wizard’s own troops died in scores, screaming at their touch.

Has no one else picked up in the fact that a Captain of the Emperor's guard was a hradani? Is this the same universe a Bazhell or a different one because I though hardani at the time of the Fall were all forced to fight for the dark. Were some freed before the Fall and accepted by the other races? Did this fact not come across the ocean because the hardani were still hated for another 10,000 years after the fall?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Sharidann   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thanks David,

couple of thoughts:
1- interesting that the adversary also has a wild wizard... one can assume he is still alive today...
2 - what was Wencit's last Task before he unleashed the Strafing ?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

David Weber has posted (elsewhere) some info about the Fall and the "Wild Wizard" is the brother of the last Emperor.

IIRC both the last Emperor and his brother died before Wencit unleased the Strafing.

As for Wencit's "last Task", I doubt that David Weber is going to tell us but hopefully we'll learn what it was in this book. :D

Sharidann wrote:Thanks David,

couple of thoughts:
1- interesting that the adversary also has a wild wizard... one can assume he is still alive today...
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:11 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Sharidann wrote:Thanks David,

couple of thoughts:

2 - Wencit was Lord of the White Council, effectively in charge of it.
1 - IIRC, that wild wizard was killed in the final fighting just before the evacuation.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Cartref   » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I would have said that from the last battle where the Emperor fell, no one survived to tel of the Hraaani Captain's last stand.

So how would that tail have ever main it back to the survivor's who had already fled?

having said that, I am also eagerly awaiting this book, either as the end of the saga or just and ongoing tale.

Cheers

Return to War God