Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Brandark's future

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Brandark's future
Post by sawa   » Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 am

sawa
Lieutenant Commander

I was rereading WMC the other day and I think I know what the autor has in store for Brandark. There was the discussion about his God and the consesnus was that with all his interest in ships and sailing shown in WGO it might be Korthrala the God of Sea. The problem was that to follow his calling he would have to leave the hradani lands, or move to Wild Wash or Broken Bone clan lands. But now with the completion of the Derm Canal the Northern Confederation, and especially Hurgrum is about to become a major trading port. They also have acces to a major river, and interest to protect along the way. There was mention of the River Birgands / Pirates in WMC. So Brandark can follow his calling and start a hradani navy first to clear the pirates, than to open the way down the Spear in case the Purple Lords become difficult, as they are most certainly about to try something to protect their trade monopoly.
Re: Brandark's future
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

The idea of a Hradani Navy makes me chuckle. I can just see the Purple Lords reaction to a fleet coming down river.

Sir there is a strange fleet coming downstream.

Oh, are the River Brigands getting upitty?

Uh Sir, I think the River Brigands fleet was that debris we watched float by yesterday.

What?!? Then who the hell is this?

Flag of the Northern confederation is raised.

Oh Shit!
Post by biochem   » Thu May 01, 2014 7:37 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

The idea of a Hradani Navy makes me chuckle. I can just see the Purple Lords reaction to a fleet coming down river.

Uh Sir, I think the River Brigands fleet was that debris we watched float by yesterday.

Oh Shit!

I love it!
Post by Polyglot   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 am

Polyglot
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

BrightSoul wrote:The idea of a Hradani Navy makes me chuckle. I can just see the Purple Lords reaction to a fleet coming down river.

Oh Shit!

And all this must be said with the appropriate nose-in-the-air distain!

Hehehehehe! Love it! :lol:
Post by biochem   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:39 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

I would like to see Brandark on his own at some point. He's been doing the sidekick role for quite some time and it would be very interesting to see him come into his own at last.
Post by Franavu   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Franavu
Midshipman

Didn't Wencit say somewhere that Hradani would be absolutely terrifying if they developed mage gifts. I'm sure he said something about Hradani and mage gifts.

Since that snippet my headcanon has been that Brandark would be the first Hradani with those gifts. Or at least a champion of Semkirk of some sort, which fits in with the fact that he managed to build some kind of library in Navahk and seems to love learning.
Post by shdwwlf   » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:33 pm

shdwwlf
Midshipman

Either possibility sounds interesting. :D However, given our favorite author's habit of being unpredictable I wonder what he will really end up doing that we haven't thought of yet... I think I remember him talking about one of the gods with the Marfang Island captain (or at least I think it was mentioned at the beginning of War God's Own)..... Brandark possibly as a champion for a different god? :twisted:
Post by Tail Twitcher   » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Tail Twitcher
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

biochem wrote:I would like to see Brandark on his own at some point. He's been doing the sidekick role for quite some time and it would be very interesting to see him come into his own at last.

He's a very belligerent and uppity sidekick.

He is certainly a large contribution to the fun of the series.

I think I would enjoy him branching out on his own now and then.
Post by Oline   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:44 am

Oline
Midshipman

I just completed rereading Oath of Swords in it Chesmirsa states that Brandark is too much of her brothers' to be a bard but that he has a poet's soul and thus would always be partly hers. I have read many other fiction and nonfiction books and Sailors are sometimes said to have the soul of a poet. Thing is he is a man of many talents and thus could easily fit in with many of the gods spheres of influence. Semkirk due to his thirst for knowledge. Korthrala due to his interest in the Ships. I could see him following Hirahim due to his song about Bahzell. Thing is there are times where Brandark is off visiting with Kilthan on a project of his own. The idea of him as a leader of a Norfressan navy also has its points.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:50 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Oline wrote:I just completed rereading Oath of Swords in it Chesmirsa states that Brandark is too much of her brothers' to be a bard but that he has a poet's soul and thus would always be partly hers. I have read many other fiction and nonfiction books and Sailors are sometimes said to have the soul of a poet. Thing is he is a man of many talents and thus could easily fit in with many of the gods spheres of influence. Semkirk due to his thirst for knowledge. Korthrala due to his interest in the Ships. I could see him following Hirahim due to his song about Bahzell. Thing is there are times where Brandark is off visiting with Kilthan on a project of his own. The idea of him as a leader of a Norfressan navy also has its points.

Well Chemirsa's brothers are: Korthrala (god of sea and love), Norfram (god of fortune, good and bad), Semkirk (god of wisdom and mental and physical disipline), Sorbus (the smith of the gods - actually a half brother of Chemirsa), Tolomos (got of light and the sun), Tomanak(god of war and justice), Torframos (god of the earth), and Toragan (god of nature). We already know that Tomanak is not Brandark's "other" god. Of the remaining ones its hard to choose. Torframos and Sorbus seem to be out, as they don't match with Brandark's proclivities, but all of the others possibly. Suggestions anyone?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to War God