Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Bahzell and Leeana's relationship

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Bahzell and Leeana's relationship
Post by Karthak   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:39 am

Karthak
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

During the seven years that passed between Wind Rider's Oath and War Maid's Choice, did they actually meet with each other more than very briefly? When I first read the book I got the impression that they hadn't seen each other for years. It just seems a tad ridiculous to me that they went from barely any contact to...how did that reviewer put it?:

"the female lead turns 21, then confronts the male lead over mutual feelings of attraction that apparently stem from the conversation they had when said female lead was 14 years old. The point had been made, repeatedly and at unnecessary length, that her visits home were few and far between, so there wasn't even the excuse that the romance developed off-page. At the end of the conversation, they are sleeping together, and are married by divine blessing the next day. And she gets a magical horse of her own so she can ride hand-in-hand with her new husband. And they can all talk to each other."

I really liked the book, but some parts just made me raise my eyebrows.
Re: Bahzell and Leeana's relationship
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:39 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

If one is going to read a story that includes Gods,
then one best accept that Miracles happen.

Not to mention that Bazell could have visited Leanna,
or bumped into her.

HTM

Karthak wrote:During the seven years that passed between Wind Rider's Oath and War Maid's Choice, did they actually meet with each other more than very briefly? When I first read the book I got the impression that they hadn't seen each other for years. It just seems a tad ridiculous to me that they went from barely any contact to...how did that reviewer put it?:

"the female lead turns 21, then confronts the male lead over mutual feelings of attraction that apparently stem from the conversation they had when said female lead was 14 years old. The point had been made, repeatedly and at unnecessary length, that her visits home were few and far between, so there wasn't even the excuse that the romance developed off-page. At the end of the conversation, they are sleeping together, and are married by divine blessing the next day. And she gets a magical horse of her own so she can ride hand-in-hand with her new husband. And they can all talk to each other."

Post by Brom O'Berin   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

We know that Leanna made several visits home, er, to her parents' home during that time.

We also know that Bahzell has still been his father's ambassador, thus effectively a permanent resident there, between occasional trips to Hurgrum or the Sothai capital.

I'd guess that the probability of 'accidental' meetings would be high ...

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:If one is going to read a story that includes Gods,
then one best accept that Miracles happen.

Not to mention that Bazell could have visited Leanna,
or bumped into her.

HTM

Karthak wrote:During the seven years that passed between Wind Rider's Oath and War Maid's Choice, did they actually meet with each other more than very briefly? When I first read the book I got the impression that they hadn't seen each other for years. It just seems a tad ridiculous to me that they went from barely any contact to...how did that reviewer put it?:

Post by Charles83   » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 am

Charles83
Rear Admiral

The Reviewer is wrong, that romance was wrote in the very very small letter of the book, those letters are so small that only the OCD crazy people of this forum can read it.

First point is that leanna went home more than once, they even tell us in passing reference how her father reacted to the shari, second we have a comment from leanna's mother that bahzell has been at their house so often she has started to think of him as her son, third while bahzell has been doing champion work it seems that in the story his principal function so far is bringing the sothoi and the Hradani closer together (at least up until the 4th book), Soputting all these together is logical to think that leanna, a highly infatuated girl, has choosen to do her visits only when she knew that bahzell was in residence, remember another comment that leanna's mother said that bahzell has been thinking every single reason why this could not happen, yeah we have textev that leanna hasnt taken a vacation in 2 years, but we dont know how many trips she had before that, or how many times she needed to go and talk to her father as the official representative of her town, remember that the mayor of the town was using her to also have meeting with the other noble.

So in little the romance and the chance for developing that romance is there, but as I said before the letters are so small and so well hidden that only the OCD people of this forum may find it, for other readers who are not that dedicated to RFC work, it pushes the limits of willing suspension of disbelief (see tvtropes if you need explanation about the term), for us is a perfectly explained fact by RFC.

And if you dont think the people of this forum have OCD, just check the honorverse forum or the safehold forum, we have gotten to the point of rechristening the new book as "Schrodinger's Book"
Post by Karthak   » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:00 am

Karthak

Charles83 wrote:
So in little the romance and the chance for developing that romance is there, but as I said before the letters are so small and so well hidden that only the OCD people of this forum may find it, for other readers who are not that dedicated to RFC work, it pushes the limits of willing suspension of disbelief (see tvtropes if you need explanation about the term), for us is a perfectly explained fact by RFC.

Ah, ok. I see it now. Thing is, I've been fan of RFC for years, and I also managed to miss the small letters.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Karthak wrote:
Charles83 wrote:

Ah, ok. I see it now. Thing is, I've been fan of RFC for years, and I also managed to miss the small letters.

I agree with the reviewer that the romance wasn't explicitly written about. I disagree that a romance was not both telegraphed and inferred from other character's interactions with our lovebirds. Although I would have preffered to have read about it, I won't t say that development was a surprise.
Post by Karthak   » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 am

Karthak

PeterZ wrote:I agree with the reviewer that the romance wasn't explicitly written about. I disagree that a romance was not both telegraphed and inferred from other character's interactions with our lovebirds. Although I would have preffered to have read about it, I won't t say that development was a surprise.

Rereading the book right now, and I have to say that if you miss just a few words here and there, you really get the impression that they haven't seen each other for 7 years.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Karthak wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I agree with the reviewer that the romance wasn't explicitly written about. I disagree that a romance was not both telegraphed and inferred from other character's interactions with our lovebirds. Although I would have preffered to have read about it, I won't t say that development was a surprise.

Rereading the book right now, and I have to say that if you miss just a few words here and there, you really get the impression that they haven't seen each other for 7 years.

I agree, if this book was read independently. If you read the book as part of the series, that impression dissipates more than a little. One of the unresolved issues in Windrider's Oath was Leeana's feelings for either Bahzell or Brandark. Those subtle allusions sceamed out at me as I read this book. In the context of those allusions, it becomes clear that the lovebirds did have interactions when Leeana visited her parents home.

I will state that I wished we could have read about their courtship or what passed for it more. We might still, in some future short story. That's a hope anyway.
Post by chrisd   » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charles83 wrote: " . . . . . And if you dont think the people of this forum have OCD, just check the honorverse forum or the safehold forum, we have gotten to the point of rechristening the new book as "Schrodinger's Book". . . "

Would that involve "Schrodinger's Treecat" then?
Post by KNick   » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:17 pm

KNick
Admiral

chrisd wrote:
Charles83 wrote: " . . . . . And if you dont think the people of this forum have OCD, just check the honorverse forum or the safehold forum, we have gotten to the point of rechristening the new book as "Schrodinger's Book". . . "

Would that involve "Schrodinger's Treecat" then?

Wrong new book. They rechristened LAMA, because they can't figure out if Hector is alive or dead. And the argument is still going on and probably will continue until February or March.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to War God