Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

So, where HAS that author been lately . . . .

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
So, where HAS that author been lately . . . .
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Hi, Guys —

I’ve been too buried to spend very much time on the forums lately, which is mostly because of good things. The eye infection and the tear duct that’s decided to stop working and the sinus infection, those I could’ve done without indefinitely, but most of the rest of it is good, including a lot of forward movement on the multiverse novels. I think people are going to be happy with where this series goes and the quality of the next book.

Then there’s the really, really good work Tim Zahn’s been doing on the Travis Lee novels in the Honorverse. At the moment, we’re looking at a trilogy (but, then, Honorverse trilogies have a tendency to grow, don’t they?), set about four hundred years before Honor’s birth. In fact, we’re looking at the Royal Manticoran Navy at the very tag end of the Plague Years and before/during the discovery of the Manticoran Wormhole Junction. I really like where this first book is going and how it’s going together, and I think you guys will, too.

For those of you who are Bahzell readers, Toni Weisskopff is going to let me start on the magnum opus set in that universe. I’m hoping to get the first book in that [projected] 5-volume series written still this Fall, but don’t hold me to it.

And I just finished the copyedit on Like a Mighty Army for its January 2014 release.

What I’m really excited about right this minute, though, is the way things are moving forward with Evergreen Studios on the first Honorverse feature film, with a projected 2016 release date. It’s still very early days, of course, and there are still all sorts of things that have to be resolved, but Evergreen is deeply committed to the project and every discussion I’ve had with them so far indicates to me that they are seriously committed to presenting the Honorverse as the Honorverse, rather than some Hollywood-ized version of the Honorverse. I know there are going to be some changes in the visual presentation of the books, and there’s not really any way in a movie length feature to do all the nuances of the books, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to adapt novels to the screen, and I think these guys are determined to do it the right way. Heck, they’re even asking me but I think they ought to be doing! :lol:

I’ll be out in California the first part of next week for face-to-face discussions with them about concept art and a lot of other things. And at Comic-Con this weekend in San Diego they’re going to be announcing some . . . interesting new Honorverse stuff. I’m not supposed to be giving away any details, but if you think in terms of, oh, I don’t know . . . graphic novels and maybe mobile app games you might not go too far wrong. 8-)

Anyway, just thought I would share the information. And now I have to go jump back into all of those things which have been keeping me off the forum and which the publisher would appreciate my spending a little time on.
:)

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: So, where HAS that author been lately . . . .
Post by KNick   » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 pm

KNick
Admiral

As far as Bazell and his friends go, if you must, you must. As long as you crack the whip over those writing in the Honorverse while you are working here.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by iranuke   » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm

iranuke
Commander

It is my contention that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. I don't go to too many movies, if the trailer interests me I read the book (probably more than once).
Post by darkhorse   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 am

darkhorse
Ensign

Thank you for the update on the next book in the Orfressa series. :D

As far as Bazell and his friends go, if you must, you must. As long as you crack the whip over those writing in the Honorverse while you are working here.

I understand that the Honorverse series has a... wider following, but some of us have just been waiting for him to finish pandering to you Honorverse people and get to the good stuff. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Post by AClone   » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:22 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

All right, so I'll ask...is there a reasonable transition from where the series currently stands, to the magnum opus? I was under the impression you had some threads to tie up first, RFC. :)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

"Always" is too drastic a claim for me.
I would say "book is *almost* always better."

HTM

iranuke wrote:It is my contention that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. I don't go to too many movies, if the trailer interests me I read the book (probably more than once).
Post by KNick   » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:17 pm

KNick
Admiral

darkhorse wrote:Thank you for the update on the next book in the Orfressa series. :D

I understand that the Honorverse series has a... wider following, but some of us have just been waiting for him to finish pandering to you Honorverse people and get to the good stuff. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

I realize that there are people just as eagerly awaiting his next book in their favorite series. That is why I said as long as he keeps the other writers he is allowing to work in the Honorverse on track and true to the story, I wont mind if he feeds my (and others) addiction in this universe, too.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by yanessa   » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:41 am

yanessa
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

KNick wrote:
darkhorse wrote:Thank you for the update on the next book in the Orfressa series. :D

I realize that there are people just as eagerly awaiting his next book in their favorite series. That is why I said as long as he keeps the other writers he is allowing to work in the Honorverse on track and true to the story, I wont mind if he feeds my (and others) addiction in this universe, too.

+1 :mrgreen:
"Audemus ius nostra defendere"
(We dare defend our rights)
672nd Renegade Pursuit Wing (Minerva)
"Witches of Defiance"
Post by biochem   » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:22 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

For those of you who are Bahzell readers, Toni Weisskopff is going to let me start on the magnum opus set in that universe. I’m hoping to get the first book in that [projected] 5-volume series written still this Fall, but don’t hold me to it.

Any snippets??????? Early drafts?????
Post by iranuke   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:51 am

iranuke
Commander

biochem wrote:

Any snippets??????? Early drafts?????

eARCs??

Return to War God