Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Leeana a Wizard?

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Leeana a Wizard?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5650
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Just began a re-read of WMC. When I got to the introduction of Sharlassa, I noticed that she sensed an energy flowing through Leeana. Earlier Varnathus mentions that all magi can sense wizardry.

Does this signify that Leeana becomes a Wizard? Perhaps the reason for Wencit's prohibititon against Carnadosans using wizardry against her is his attempt to either court or avoid Leeana experiencing the Wild Wizard's crisis. Recall further Ishvaria stating to Leeana and that in no potential universe does she or her windsister ever succumb to the Dark.

Which depends on how RFC wants to address the idea of Wizardry. Does he want to argue that wizardry will invariably corrupt enough wizards to ensure any society moves to the Dark? Or does he believe that there are safeguards that will make wizardry no more corrupting than any other tool?

Which way do you all think this is going to go? Leeana fighting to avoid the curse of wizardry? Or Leeana the redemptive figure of wizardry?

I open the discussion to your speculation.
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by SYED   » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Leena was married by two gods, what kind of effect would that have on her? I am thinking that any of her children might not be sterile.

THere was all this talk on in the info dump about a crown that detects dark magic. If it was recovered, then huge problem for the wizard as they would not be able to hide anymore.

the bringing together of human and hradi is crucial, a child would be powerful, but the bloodline if bred true would be a powerful weapon against wand wizaeds.
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by LeoX   » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm

LeoX
Midshipman

Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

I suspect Leeana, like many Sothoii, has latent wizard talents). Bahzell has also been able to link to the magic field, in specific circumstances, much like a wild wizard.

My guess is that Leeana and Bahzell will, in fact, be blessed with children (thus "settling down for a decade or two"). In a previous book Wencit stated that hradani-human crosses are more longed lived than half-elves and have the potential to use wizardry.

So, how about this...one or more of Bahzell's / Leeana's children will not only be a wizard but a wild wizard -- someone Wencit can pass his knowledge to.

Thoughts?
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5650
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Could be. So Leeana's children become the next wizard kings? Does humanity become a tool for the Gifted just as before?

That doesn't smell right. If her Children become wizards, how does that play out for the battle between Light and Dark?

Personally, I think the issue of wizardry will be settled through Leeana more directly than her children.

LeoX wrote:I suspect Leeana, like many Sothoii, has latent wizard talents). Bahzell has also been able to link to the magic field, in specific circumstances, much like a wild wizard.

My guess is that Leeana and Bahzell will, in fact, be blessed with children (thus "settling down for a decade or two"). In a previous book Wencit stated that hradani-human crosses are more longed lived than half-elves and have the potential to use wizardry.

So, how about this...one or more of Bahzell's / Leeana's children will not only be a wizard but a wild wizard -- someone Wencit can pass his knowledge to.

Thoughts?
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by wrlee1966   » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:56 am

I am thinking that at the end of WMC Leeana is with child from a comment VAijon made as he faded. I Do not think Leena is a WIZARD because at the end also Wencit asked Leeana to ask Zarantha to train Sharlassa. But Also we found out that along with Tomanak and Lillinara, Isvaria has Champions. So maybe she will become a Champion of Isvaria. And I am thinking we might see Brandark some how becoming a follower of Semkirk not because of anything to do with Wizrdry but because his mental discipline and thrust for knowledge.
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5650
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado

I tend to agree with you regarding Brandark. The one thing that doesn't quite fit is his passion for sailing and navigation. In the War God's Own he really began to understand how the ship worked. Later he was especially interested in the watch because it was essential to taking accurate navigational measurements. We have had bits here and there regarding his interest in esoteric topics, but none of those topics appeared to draw his interest quite as intensely. The passing remark to the Mage in WMC regarding the use of mage talents is a case in point. That and Brandark's interest how Bahzel "healed" the manor in Warm Springs both conveyed accademic interest without that something more.

As for Leeana, I doubt she will be a Champion. VWencit's other hints suggest that she will be the respresentative of the War Maids in the Kings Council. I doubt she can do that and be a Champion. Odds are she will be central to creating a parlimentary system for the Sothoii.

The legal aspects of her marrying Bahzell is interesting. The marriage was performed by 2 gods. How will that influence how the children of war maid marriages will be treated by Sothoii law? Will the desires of the parents supercede mainstream Sothoii custom? Will the child be allowed to choose at some point? Will Sothoii law change to provide some of the protections war maid society provides?

wrlee1966 wrote:I am thinking that at the end of WMC Leeana is with child from a comment VAijon made as he faded. I Do not think Leena is a WIZARD because at the end also Wencit asked Leeana to ask Zarantha to train Sharlassa. But Also we found out that along with Tomanak and Lillinara, Isvaria has Champions. So maybe she will become a Champion of Isvaria. And I am thinking we might see Brandark some how becoming a follower of Semkirk not because of anything to do with Wizrdry but because his mental discipline and thrust for knowledge.
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by cralkhi   » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:24 pm

cralkhi
Captain of the List

Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am

PeterZ wrote:Could be. So Leeana's children become the next wizard kings? Does humanity become a tool for the Gifted just as before?

That doesn't smell right.



I'm not sure humanity was a "tool for the Gifted" before -- that infodump about the Fall of Kontovar implies wizardry wasn't really a problem till the very end. The House of Ottovar seemed to keep misuse of wizardry under control for, what, eight or nine thousand years?
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by Lunan   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 am

Lunan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 am

wizard teach thyself. i just finished rereading WMC and i'm leaning toward Wenict being the child of our bloody handed friend and leggy windsister. Likely the first of any children that they have will be named Vijon but when he gets thrown back in time for whatever reason (remeber in war gods own, or oath of swords, that Wenict told us wizards can travel in time but only backwards).
why else was he prepared 700 years in advance? and other things, all the "waiting a long time, long anticipated" stuff that we see from gods, and wencit. in Sword Brother Wencit drops a glamor that he holds so close before he kills one of the wizards. it has yet to be explained. my bet is its the one that makes it seem as if he is human (full human)

LeoX wrote:I suspect Leeana, like many Sothoii, has latent wizard talents). Bahzell has also been able to link to the magic field, in specific circumstances, much like a wild wizard.

My guess is that Leeana and Bahzell will, in fact, be blessed with children (thus "settling down for a decade or two"). In a previous book Wencit stated that hradani-human crosses are more longed lived than half-elves and have the potential to use wizardry.

So, how about this...one or more of Bahzell's / Leeana's children will not only be a wizard but a wild wizard -- someone Wencit can pass his knowledge to.

Thoughts?
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by boballab   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm

boballab
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Ocean City MD

Actually there is an infodump that in a round about way excludes Wencit as being Leeana child transported back through time:
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... essa/226/1

What makes it so is this part here:
Wencit warned Toren's father and Toren himself that the younger brother, Herrick, was potentially a huge threat to the Throne. The old Emperor didn't want to hear it, as much as he'd come to trust Wencit. And Wencit, when pressed on the matter, was forced to admit that Herrick's threat potential was just that: a potential threat which might never materialize, although he emphasized that it was far more likely that Herrick would become a mortal danger to Kontovar than that he would not.


Herrick turned on his older brother and father the King by killing dear old dad when he wouldn't skip the his eldest to make him the heir. He then went and joined Carnadosa and as it turns out was a Wild Wizard and eventually die at the hands of his brother in the final battle before Wencit scoured Kontovar:
That was what he did for the next several decades [note once again the magnificent ambiguity of "decades"] during which he won battle after battle over increasingly numerically superior foes. The Council of Ottovar fought desperately to hold a shield against the arcane attacks of the Carnadosans, which sucked off more and more of the Council's energy from any sort of offensive action. And just to make things even better, it turned out that Herrick was a wild wizard.

Fortunately, Herrick's wild wizardry was never fully awakened. It turned out that if a man who had the potential for wild wizardry was willing to sell his soul to Carnadosa, she could open his wild magic "channels" without the sort of personally traumatic event Wencit has described to Bahzell and Brandark. (Mind you, it wasn't a pleasant process for Herrick even with Carnadosa letting him cut corners, but it could be done, and in a relatively short period of time.) On the other hand, Herrick's "channels" would never be as deep, as powerful, as what would have happened had his wild wizardry been awakened "naturally." Thus, even though he was at least several centuries younger than Wencit, and so (theoretically) a more powerful wild wizard, he was never actually able to match Wencit's power. Nor, obviously, had he been given anything like as long to learn to master the techniques of wand wizardry. Which meant he never dared to face Wencit directly.

...

In the final battle, Toren and Herrick faced one another directly in hand-to-hand combat. Ultimately, Toren could not possibly have won the fight, since he was effectively the last member of his last army still on his feet. In the event, the battle between them -- which involved another artifact of the House of Ottovar [tum, te, tum, te, tum] -- not only dropped both of them but killed almost every man (and creature) of the army Herrick had brought to the ball, as well. Unfortunately, the Carnadosans still had several armies left, and Toren's had been the last army the Good Guys™ had.

So, after the last battle, Wencit -- as he and Toren had already discussed -- strafed Kontovar.


You can figure out that the artifact that Toren used was probably the Sword of the South and Wencit picked it up after the battle and that is how he got it. However that is beside the main point, if Wencit was the child of Leeana he could have changed the outcome by either telling Bazhell to tell his son about Herrick or just leaving a set of notes for himself. Wencit would then KNOW Herrick was a traitor and not just a potential one and few other things as well.

Lunan wrote:wizard teach thyself. i just finished rereading WMC and i'm leaning toward Wenict being the child of our bloody handed friend and leggy windsister. Likely the first of any children that they have will be named Vijon but when he gets thrown back in time for whatever reason (remeber in war gods own, or oath of swords, that Wenict told us wizards can travel in time but only backwards).
why else was he prepared 700 years in advance? and other things, all the "waiting a long time, long anticipated" stuff that we see from gods, and wencit. in Sword Brother Wencit drops a glamor that he holds so close before he kills one of the wizards. it has yet to be explained. my bet is its the one that makes it seem as if he is human (full human)

LeoX wrote:I suspect Leeana, like many Sothoii, has latent wizard talents). Bahzell has also been able to link to the magic field, in specific circumstances, much like a wild wizard.

My guess is that Leeana and Bahzell will, in fact, be blessed with children (thus "settling down for a decade or two"). In a previous book Wencit stated that hradani-human crosses are more longed lived than half-elves and have the potential to use wizardry.

So, how about this...one or more of Bahzell's / Leeana's children will not only be a wizard but a wild wizard -- someone Wencit can pass his knowledge to.

Thoughts?
............................................................................

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Top
Re: Leeana a Wizard?
Post by biochem   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Orfressa/226/1


Very interesting. I can't wait until the next book!
Top

Return to War God