Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Spoilers: After WMC's epilogue

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Spoilers: After WMC's epilogue
Post by SYED   » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:40 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

THey cant change the future, but what if they plant those stones that are the basis of a wizards power in important locations. Wencit owned that bad guy in his lair as his stone being there first allowed him to move with impunity. SO instead of going back to change the past, go back to change the future. Imagine it, time travel would be something only the best and most powerful wizards are capable of, so Wencit would automaticly be the one capable of it. Also, i wonder if they could salvage some of those lost powerful artifacts, so help establish a new wizard council.

He was not the only white wizard to get to the new continet, just the only one to survive with his power intact. THose who lost their power, who were their descendants.

YOu are not allow to kill with magic, does it count if you use an enchanted sword?
Post by AClone   » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

FriarBob wrote:
CMac wrote:
sam12six wrote:The next book is about poor Leeann being forced to squeeze out a 20 pound baby and keep it alive while its daddy is drawn into the war with the wizards. Weird things happen around the kid and... OMG, he's a wild mage on top of being an incredibly long lived half hrdani!! Between daddy getting the wild magic spurts in combat and mom coming from a long line of women with the sight, it seems to follow.

The last book is about the new young adult wild mage half hradani tying up loose ends and finally closing the universe off to the dark They altogether.

Those are my guesses anyway...

My expectation is that the baby turns out to BE Wencit - who in the future will time-travel to the far past in order to setup the final defeat of Kontovar.
I don't have time to go looking for the quotes from the books, but it has been stated that magic will allow time travel to the past (but not the future), that you need to be at least half-human in order to be a wizard, and at least half-Hradani in order to access the wild magic inside all matter.

When you do go looking for the quotes, look very closely at them. They specifically state that you can't travel backward in your own universe.

Thus, your theory, though amusing, is a non-starter.

Yes, but it is implied that you can travel backward in a very near copy of your own universe.
Post by Gallowglass3000   » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 am

Gallowglass3000
Ensign

There are 2 possibilities besides that aren't being mentioned. Maybe not simple but possible.

First, find a cadet line of the family, clear them and promote them to the position. It makes it harder for the dispossessed side to use loyalty to the family to help find support. For most, the fact that the 'family' is still in charge will be enough to keep them happy, especially with the association with the Dark Gods.

The second can be done entirely on it's own or in combination with the first. Use a combination of financial and political methods to reduce the power that Cassan wielded.

Financial:
Take apart his financial empire or at least vet it. He was spending a lot more money than his finances probably could explain, if they were being honestly reported. Get some honest book-keepers in and the source of those extra funds can be identified, taxed and penalized which even his kids wouldn't be able to argue about.

The same accountants might be able to figure out that the money being spent to 'fight' the River Brigands wasn't and that won't help his legacy any. Not because of the deal but because he lied about it.

Coupled with a bunch of fines and penalties, including providing for the survivors of the armsmen who were only obeying their liege lord, a lot of Cassan's financial power is going to go away.

Politically:

Like most high ranked nobles, Cassan probably had a slew of lesser titles, holdings, etc.. Remove them from thefamily, either temporarily to be returned as the heir proves himself or permanently. These can be added to the royal holdings or used as bribes to other noble families for support. A title for a younger son is almost always welcomed, especially if it really costs nothing than accepting a reduced position for Cassan's kids..

Saddle the heir with a permanent Royal advisor and set things up that basically the heir cannot do anything without going through channels, at least nothing serious.

The political side is helped because their ability to offer marriage, either to a son or daughter has been reduced drastically, at least to other high ranking families. More likely they will either have to go out of kingdom to find a spouse or accept a spouse of a much lower rank.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Having read the entire thread, I did not see the one possibility for the succession of the South Riding. Cassan is stripped of the succession, so his son doesn't inherit. However, have the mages vet his subordinate vassals - most of them did not have anything to do with Cassan's treason. Pick one of them to become the new baron of South Riding. This means that you don't have the imposition of a outsider, and sends a firm message that 1) attempted regicide will be dealt with extremely harshly, and 2) trafficking with the dark powers is also a very bad idea.

I also saw no discussion of what if anything will happen to the Baron of East Riding. He was closely associated with Cassan, and Cassan did implicate him, although that will probably be ignored as the word of a traitor. Still he can expect to have a significant loss of power as many of his allies distance themselves from him, and a lot of careful scrutiny from mages for a considerable length of time.

On the subject of the ghouls, I agree that attempting to exterminate them is off the table, but it should be possible to move them back 5 miles or so from the river and canal, and keep them moved off. Doesn't require going into the woods at all.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Tigertina   » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:48 am

Tigertina
Ensign

CMac wrote:
sam12six wrote:The next book is about poor Leeann being forced to squeeze out a 20 pound baby and keep it alive while its daddy is drawn into the war with the wizards. Weird things happen around the kid and... OMG, he's a wild mage on top of being an incredibly long lived half hrdani!! Between daddy getting the wild magic spurts in combat and mom coming from a long line of women with the sight, it seems to follow.

The last book is about the new young adult wild mage half hradani tying up loose ends and finally closing the universe off to the dark They altogether.

My expectation is that the baby turns out to BE Wencit - who in the future will time-travel to the far past in order to setup the final defeat of Kontovar.
I don't have time to go looking for the quotes from the books, but it has been stated that magic will allow time travel to the past (but not the future), that you need to be at least half-human in order to be a wizard, and at least half-Hradani in order to access the wild magic inside all matter.

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In snippet 4 of Sword of the South, the baby mentioned is a girl. So that theory is not possible at this time in the storyline, at least :)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:27 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Tigertina wrote:

CMac wrote:

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In snippet 4 of Sword of the South, the baby mentioned is a girl. So that theory is not possible at this time in the storyline, at least :)

Well we know that one of Bahzell and Leeana's children is female. We don't know if she is the eldest, and we don't know if there are any other siblings. Just that there is at least one daughter.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to War God