Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

War maid's Choice cover is out

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
War maid's Choice cover is out
Post by sawa   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

sawa
Lieutenant Commander

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/1451638353/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

I have to say that I preferred the previous cover style, it was definaetly fantasy, and here we have a knight with a barrel chest. After Elfhome another dissapointing cover from Baen.

Sawa
Re: War maid's Choice cover is out
Post by Charles83   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Charles83
Rear Admiral

Agree with you.
Post by FriarBob   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:27 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Wow yeah that's a horrid cover. I'm guessing there must be a good bit of fighting in this novel, but couldn't they at least find a way to depict how huge Bahzell and Walsharno are?
Post by Charles83   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Charles83
Rear Admiral

Also in that cover the lenght of the sword at most is a long sword maybe a bastard sword, not a double handed greatsword (remember that bahzell sword is a 2 handed greatsword but he is so strong that he can use it as a bastard sword)
Post by Kytheros   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Charles83 wrote:Also in that cover the lenght of the sword at most is a long sword maybe a bastard sword, not a double handed greatsword (remember that bahzell sword is a 2 handed greatsword but he is so strong that he can use it as a bastard sword)

Yes and no. Remember, Bahzell is nearly eight feet tall.

Though, I have to admit, I'm don't think that the image fits the description of Bahzell and Walsharno. Or any Windrider and their Courser - they don't use reins. And IIRC, Bahzell's ears stick out of his helmet.
The hilt on the sword is too small to be Bahzell's; also looks too fancy/insufficiently plain to be his. Could maybe fit with Vaijon, though.

Yeah ... I have to concur with the general disappointment in this cover.
Post by FriarBob   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
Charles83 wrote:Also in that cover the lenght of the sword at most is a long sword maybe a bastard sword, not a double handed greatsword (remember that bahzell sword is a 2 handed greatsword but he is so strong that he can use it as a bastard sword)

Though, I have to admit, I'm don't think that the image fits the description of Bahzell and Walsharno. Or any Windrider and their Courser - they don't use reins. And IIRC, Bahzell's ears stick out of his helmet.
The hilt on the sword is too small to be Bahzell's; also looks too fancy/insufficiently plain to be his. Could maybe fit with Vaijon, though.

Well... IF the main character of the novel is Vaijon, then it wouldn't be quite as bad. I still don't think it's a good cover even then, but it's no longer putrid.

(edited to fix screwed up formatting)
Last edited by FriarBob on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Charles83   » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Charles83
Rear Admiral

Kytheros wrote:

First bahzell is 7 feet 6 inches, walsharno is the one that is 8 feet and a little more, second a 2 handed greatsword is around 40 inches long that means 3 feet 4 inches, its a big sword second is a 2 handed sword so the handle is long even with bahzell big hand you will end with what they call a handle that is a hand and a half (this type of handle is mostly used on bastard swords), if you see the picture the handle is the one from a longsword a handle made to be grabbed with just 1 hand no space for the second hand. Also walsharno is a courser he doesnt use bridle and if you see the picture the horse has a bridle, there are so many things wrong with the picture, another point around the horse except that they made an armor for walsharno at one point that courser is simply too big the armor need to be handmade and so far there has been no time for it, maybe it happened off camera but it seems weird.

The rest of the picture seems wrong but I cant find how, I just know this the specific design of the sword is the one used for longsword, thats not a greatsword, it have so many bad details that is painful to see it.

If by any luck RFC see this please for the sake of goodness tell them to drop that cover and make a new one. One that at least have a little more sense.
Post by Kytheros   » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Charles83 wrote:
Kytheros wrote:

First bahzell is 7 feet 6 inches, walsharno is the one that is 8 feet and a little more, second a 2 handed greatsword is around 40 inches long that means 3 feet 4 inches, its a big sword second is a 2 handed sword so the handle is long even with bahzell big hand you will end with what they call a handle that is a hand and a half (this type of handle is mostly used on bastard swords), if you see the picture the handle is the one from a longsword a handle made to be grabbed with just 1 hand no space for the second hand. Also walsharno is a courser he doesnt use bridle and if you see the picture the horse has a bridle, there are so many things wrong with the picture, another point around the horse except that they made an armor for walsharno at one point that courser is simply too big the armor need to be handmade and so far there has been no time for it, maybe it happened off camera but it seems weird.

The rest of the picture seems wrong but I cant find how, I just know this the specific design of the sword is the one used for longsword, thats not a greatsword, it have so many bad details that is painful to see it.

If by any luck RFC see this please for the sake of goodness tell them to drop that cover and make a new one. One that at least have a little more sense.

Bahzell's taller than 7'6". His exact height is never stated, but he's between 7'6" and 8', and I think I remember that he was on the taller end of that range.

We all agree that the mounted chap doesn't match with Bahzell.

The oddity that you're sensing but not recognizing is the distinctly non-human/non-Races of Man faces on the fellows in the background.
Post by Charles83   » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:48 am

Charles83
Rear Admiral

Yeah you were right and if you read Oath of swords again it will tell you some measure, 7'9" is bahzell maybe a little bit more but is the closest thing to the real height that we have of bahzell and his sword is around 60 inches, thats around 5 feet so we are talking about a massive sword and a massive guy using it, I rechecked all 3 books and this is the closest numbers we have for bahzell height and bahzell sword size.
Post by Emo Otaku   » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:33 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

If I had to guess I would say that this doesn't look like Bahzell or any of the others on the side of light

To me It looks more like a servant of the dark

The only thing that indicates this may be Bahzell is the blue flames (which look more like fog)
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane

Return to War God