Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

We're being teased again

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Jaxomfaux   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:11 am

Jaxomfaux
Ensign

Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:03 pm

i totally agree. bhazell is about to lose his first fight to a girl :D
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2041
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Jaxomfaux wrote:i totally agree. bhazell is about to lose his first fight to a girl :D


Actually, he already has. In Oath Of Swords, he went up against Kerry and she knocked him down despite being way smaller than him. In later sparring matches, when he knew what to expect, he could hold his own against her "edged whirlwind" technique, but the first time... he lost.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Arasii   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Arasii
Midshipman

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

You guys do realise that Leanna actually hasn't formally accepted being a warmaid. There's a 6 month probation period. It was not clear that WRO actually spanned that entire period or that Leanna had formally become a warmaid.
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by BrightSoul   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1331
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 am

Arasii wrote:You guys do realise that Leanna actually hasn't formally accepted being a warmaid. There's a 6 month probation period. It was not clear that WRO actually spanned that entire period or that Leanna had formally become a warmaid.


Yeah, I've actually been thinking about that too. There was quite a bit in her POV that goes into this whole system and some of it doesn't set with her at all. Like renouncing (losing) her father's name as if it was a stigma.
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Gustav   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 am

Gustav
Commander

Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm

That would create a even bigger shock to Sothori society if a horse stealer hradani prince champion chosen by one of those special horses marry the heir to one of the greater Sothori nobles.
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Macharius   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:15 am

Macharius
Ensign

Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 am

BrightSoul wrote:
Arasii wrote:You guys do realise that Leanna actually hasn't formally accepted being a warmaid. There's a 6 month probation period. It was not clear that WRO actually spanned that entire period or that Leanna had formally become a warmaid.


Yeah, I've actually been thinking about that too. There was quite a bit in her POV that goes into this whole system and some of it doesn't set with her at all. Like renouncing (losing) her father's name as if it was a stigma.


Not to mention the fact that Leeana's reason for going to the Warmaids in the first place (escaping the marriage proposed by Cassian or whomever her father's rival is) is obviated by the end of the book.

That said, returning to her father still means she'll have to marry and have babies and never be able to live her own life however much freedom she may have in choosing a husband eventually.

Even more than that, we saw her becoming happy with her new life in the War Maid town in spite of what she gave up to achive that. As free spirited and strong willed as she is, I think she'll choose to stay.
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:17 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2041
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Macharius wrote:Not to mention the fact that Leeana's reason for going to the Warmaids in the first place (escaping the marriage proposed by Cassian or whomever her father's rival is) is obviated by the end of the book.

That said, returning to her father still means she'll have to marry and have babies and never be able to live her own life however much freedom she may have in choosing a husband eventually.

Even more than that, we saw her becoming happy with her new life in the War Maid town in spite of what she gave up to achive that. As free spirited and strong willed as she is, I think she'll choose to stay.


I've had a... different thought about this.

Leeana has spent quite a bit of time around Kaeritha and Bahzell. This may lead to the War Maids deploying her as part of a delegation deployed in conjunction with the Order of Tomonak (Hradani branch) since she knows how Hradani think.

What would happen if she decided that she would prefer to become one of Tomonak's followers and transferred across to join the Hurgrum chapter of the Order of Tomanak?

Look at the points in favour.
1) She knows (and is friends with) Bahzell.
2) The Hurgrum chapter have had experience with small women using twin swords. And only one of them managed to hold his own the first time.
3) Hradani respect the War Maids.
4) There is already al least one female Hradani member of the Hurgrum chapter.

Alternatively :-

Leanna will suddenly find herself appointed to a small force tasked with working alongside Bahzell and several Hradani from the Order of Tomanak. During the ensuing chaos (during which they will save each others lives at least once), Leeanna will inadvertantly horrify the Sothoii by becoming the first female Wind Rider. Due to the massive outcry, Leanna will volunteer to be part of a diplomatic mission to Hurgrum untill the fuss has a chance to die down. And guess who happens to be planning to go back to Hurgrum at the same time...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by Rook13   » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:19 am

Rook13
Ensign

Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Everett, you're a sick, twisted individual. That you would come up with such ideas probably indicates that you are in cahoots with a certain diabolical author. Or a very good guesser. My thought is a little more political, tending to see the "choice" as between Bahzell & the nobleman in the dispute with the War Maids (sorry, misplaced my WRO, can't remember his name :P ). Then, I remembered another thread, one discussing a misplaced apostrophe...
What if it's not one War Maid's Choice, but all War Maids' Choice?
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by rafael   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Michael Everett wrote:
Macharius wrote:Not to mention the fact that Leeana's reason for going to the Warmaids in the first place (escaping the marriage proposed by Cassian or whomever her father's rival is) is obviated by the end of the book.

That said, returning to her father still means she'll have to marry and have babies and never be able to live her own life however much freedom she may have in choosing a husband eventually.

Even more than that, we saw her becoming happy with her new life in the War Maid town in spite of what she gave up to achive that. As free spirited and strong willed as she is, I think she'll choose to stay.


I've had a... different thought about this.

Leeana has spent quite a bit of time around Kaeritha and Bahzell. This may lead to the War Maids deploying her as part of a delegation deployed in conjunction with the Order of Tomonak (Hradani branch) since she knows how Hradani think.

What would happen if she decided that she would prefer to become one of Tomonak's followers and transferred across to join the Hurgrum chapter of the Order of Tomanak?

Look at the points in favour.
1) She knows (and is friends with) Bahzell.
2) The Hurgrum chapter have had experience with small women using twin swords. And only one of them managed to hold his own the first time.
3) Hradani respect the War Maids.
4) There is already al least one female Hradani member of the Hurgrum chapter.

Alternatively :-

Leanna will suddenly find herself appointed to a small force tasked with working alongside Bahzell and several Hradani from the Order of Tomanak. During the ensuing chaos (during which they will save each others lives at least once), Leeanna will inadvertantly horrify the Sothoii by becoming the first female Wind Rider. Due to the massive outcry, Leanna will volunteer to be part of a diplomatic mission to Hurgrum untill the fuss has a chance to die down. And guess who happens to be planning to go back to Hurgrum at the same time...


When Kaeritha helped Leanna go and Tellian asked why she said "I got the feeling from Tomanak that it was the right thing." which did not help Tellian's peace of mind that the war god had an interest in his daughter.
Top
Re: We're being teased again
Post by sorjon02   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

sorjon02
Midshipman

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I think that the end of WRO and the title is enough to make a few guesses about "War maids choise".

First the description of Lillinara Orfressa:
Known as "Friend of Women" and "The Silver Lady", Lillinara is Orr and Kontifrio's eleventh child and the godess of the moon and women. She is one of the more complex dieties, and extremly focused. She is appealed to
by young women and maidens in her persona as the Maid and by mature women and mothers in her persona as the Mother. As avenger, she manifests herself as the Crone, who also comforts the dying. She dislikes Hirahim Lightfoot itensly, but she hates Shigû (as the essential
perversion of all womankind) with every fiber of her beeing. Her symbol is the moon.

In the end of WRO it was reveeled that a priestess of Lillinaras arch enemy Shigû had killed the intended "Voice of Lillinara", and subsequently and falsely taken control of that position in the temple of Lillinara at Quaysar. (The priestess hid behind an official mask as Paratha Kharlan, executing control over another servant of Shigû masqerading as the voice.

I don't expect this to sit well with Lillinara in WMC, and Lillinara will probably like to visit Shigû with something more sinister than seasons greatings.

Next the title: "War Maids Choise". Since this appears in the title the choise is probably something more profound than what to have for breakfast. Something that fits the bill would be a choise of patron good, maybe between Tomanak and Lillinara. Maybe even between beeing the voice of Lillinara or a champion of Tomanak.

I don't expect Lillinara to allow such a choise easily, gods and godesses are after all expected to collect worshipers. But Lillinara might allow one prospective convert to that choise in order to visit something unplesant on Shigû, and Tomanak is after all the war captain of the goods.

Who will make the choise? Leana Glorana Sylivestre Bowmaster is at the end of WRO (as has been pointed out previously in tis forum) on probation as war maid. The story of Leana takes a fair number of pages as well, so I guess that mr Weber has furhter plans for her. This makes her a fairly logical choise for a person who has to make a choise.

How she will choose is another question. I have no idéa, and the only persons who know are mr Weber and select staff at the publisher. I am however certain that the choise will make entertaining reading.
Last edited by sorjon02 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top

Return to War God