Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Brandark's God and other things.....

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Brandark's God and other things.....
Post by Kodiak   » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Kodiak
Midshipman

I think Brandark will follow Korthralla or Semkirk... have not decided which.

Brandark is not a mage or a wizard.....per info given in the books it is impossible.

Hinted by the MWW is that his magnum opus will be on a storyline set in the taking back of Kontifrar... with a child of one of the 2 being the main character and a wizard...possible because one of them has a child with a human....the other accompanies the child n this quest
Re: Brandark's God and other things.....
Post by Jay6722   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 am

Jay6722
Commander

Welcome to the the forums Kodiak. Now onto your actual post. I think Brandark will follow Semkirk. Semkirk is not simply the god of white wizardry and the patron of the magi, but also the god of wisdom, and both physical and mental discipline.
Korthrala is the god of the sea, love, hate, and passion. I believe that in The War God's Own, when Brandark went to the shipyards to see what he could learn it was simply a reflection of his innate curiosity not desire to become a sailor himself.

Kodiak wrote:I think Brandark will follow Korthralla or Semkirk... have not decided which.

Brandark is not a mage or a wizard.....per info given in the books it is impossible.

Hinted by the MWW is that his magnum opus will be on a storyline set in the taking back of Kontifrar... with a child of one of the 2 being the main character and a wizard...possible because one of them has a child with a human....the other accompanies the child n this quest
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Post by Rook   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 am

Rook
Commander

I think Brandark will follow Korthralla. His interest in the sea and seafaring seems to go quite a bit deeper than a simple scholarly interest. He not only went to the shipyards to pick the minds of shipbuilders, but learned everything he could about the reasons behind the commands given while he was on the Wind Dancer. He hung out at taverns that sailors frequent during his stay at Belhadan. He also showed a high amount of interest when Uthmar mentioned the sextants he had for sale. Finally, something changed his mind between the time that he was visited by Chesmirsa in OoS and when he was talking to Marglyth in WGO. He was always a scholar, but his interest in ships and seafaring exhibited itself during that period of time.

Someone is going to have to build the ships that will transport an army to retake Kontovar, and protect their supply lines... And it will most likely have to be run by hradani, since they are immune to wizard's magic. I think Brandark will fill that role quite well.

Jay6722 wrote:Welcome to the the forums Kodiak. Now onto your actual post. I think Brandark will follow Semkirk. Semkirk is not simply the god of white wizardry and the patron of the magi, but also the god of wisdom, and both physical and mental discipline.
Korthrala is the god of the sea, love, hate, and passion. I believe that in The War God's Own, when Brandark went to the shipyards to see what he could learn it was simply a reflection of his innate curiosity not desire to become a sailor himself.

Kodiak wrote:I think Brandark will follow Korthralla or Semkirk... have not decided which.

Post by Jay6722   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Jay6722
Commander

Okay, that makes sense. As for the invasion of Kontovar I agree that the Hradani are going provide the bulk of the invasion force. I personally find it rather ironic.

[quote="Rook"]I think Brandark will follow Korthralla. His interest in the sea and seafaring seems to go quite a bit deeper than a simple scholarly interest. He not only went to the shipyards to pick the minds of shipbuilders, but learned everything he could about the reasons behind the commands given while he was on the Wind Dancer. He hung out at taverns that sailors frequent during his stay at Belhadan. He also showed a high amount of interest when Uthmar mentioned the sextants he had for sale. Finally, something changed his mind between the time that he was visited by Chesmirsa in OoS and when he was talking to Marglyth in WGO. He was always a scholar, but his interest in ships and seafaring exhibited itself during that period of time.

Someone is going to have to build the ships that will transport an army to retake Kontovar, and protect their supply lines... And it will most likely have to be run by hradani, since they are immune to wizard's magic. I think Brandark will fill that role quite well.
Post by Macharius   » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am

Macharius
Ensign

Rook wrote:I think Brandark will follow Korthralla. His interest in the sea and seafaring seems to go quite a bit deeper than a simple scholarly interest. He not only went to the shipyards to pick the minds of shipbuilders, but learned everything he could about the reasons behind the commands given while he was on the Wind Dancer. He hung out at taverns that sailors frequent during his stay at Belhadan. He also showed a high amount of interest when Uthmar mentioned the sextants he had for sale. Finally, something changed his mind between the time that he was visited by Chesmirsa in OoS and when he was talking to Marglyth in WGO. He was always a scholar, but his interest in ships and seafaring exhibited itself during that period of time.

I think it's also important to note that Chesmirsa told Brandark that his actual calling would be one suitable for a poet's soul, and the sea is a much better fit than Semkirk and scholasticism.
Poetry re: Brandark's God and other things.....
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Say What?
Don't you believe in The Poetry Of Scholarship??
If not, how did you ever find your way here?!?!!

Howard Naughty Moose

Macharius wrote:I think it's also important to note that Chesmirsa told Brandark that his actual calling would be one suitable for a poet's soul, and the sea is a much better fit than Semkirk and scholasticism.
Re: Poetry re: Brandark's God and other things.....
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

Don't know if I've ever heard a song with the phrase "His life, his love, and his Lady was .... scholarship?"

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Say What?
Don't you believe in The Poetry Of Scholarship??
If not, how did you ever find your way here?!?!!

Howard Naughty Moose

Macharius wrote:I think it's also important to note that Chesmirsa told Brandark that his actual calling would be one suitable for a poet's soul, and the sea is a much better fit than Semkirk and scholasticism.
Post by Greyman   » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Greyman
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

In order to be a wizard, the kid will have to be half human. It seems to me that Leeana and Bahzel are the most likely parental candidates so far.

As to Brandark's god; well this is a D.W. series after all. Metalogic indicates that there's more likely to be naval battles than founding a Hradani college in his future.
Post by Skia   » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:33 am

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Out of curiosity has it actually been said that mages have to be human or part-human? I know that it has been explicitly stated with wizards and I've never heard of any non-human mages, but I couldn't remember if anything was actually written down.

After re-reading the gods' descriptions I haven't really seen any other god that makes sense to Brandark besides the Semkirk and Korthrala.
Post by Jay6722   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Jay6722
Commander

No it hasn't been explicitly said that a mage has to be at least part human.

Skia wrote:Out of curiosity has it actually been said that mages have to be human or part-human? I know that it has been explicitly stated with wizards and I've never heard of any non-human mages, but I couldn't remember if anything was actually written down.

After re-reading the gods' descriptions I haven't really seen any other god that makes sense to Brandark besides the Semkirk and Korthrala.

Return to War God