Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

What about Kontovar?

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
What about Kontovar?
Post by cyzeee.m9   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:32 pm

cyzeee.m9
Ensign

Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hi all!

I'm knew to this forum and this is my first post, so if this topic was covered erlier plese disregard it.

I was wondering about Kontovar, that is about possibility of Kontovaran invasion on Norfressa or maybe if Bahzell's new mission will be there or maybe both.
We have seen attempts of Dark Gods to destabilise Norfressa making it esier target.
We have also seen indications of dark wizadry amongst Purple Lords that leads to possible Kontovaran influence.
I know that Wencit controls spells that can lay waste to the whole continent but there is a possibility that Cornadossans have found way to counter that spells.
And there is the special attention in Bahzell and Brandark and in their removal.
There is obviusly something big going on and B&B are going to be there.
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by Jay6722   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Jay6722
Commander

Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Welcome to the forums cyzeee.m9. While it is possible that the wizards of Kontovar be able to get around the spells that Wencit controls. What has been said in the books about the spells says to me that it would be extremely difficult to do. If haven't read Sword Brother I recommend you do in it Wencit talks a little bit about Kontovar's influence in Norfressa.

I'm not sure if you are saying that Caradosa wants him dead the most or not. If you are you are wrong the dark god that wants Bahzell dead the most is Sharna. In Sword Brother Wencit says that Bahzell is at or near the top of Sharna's hit list.
Sword Brother was released as part of the 2007 re-release of Oath of Swords.

cyzeee.m9 wrote:Hi all!

I'm knew to this forum and this is my first post, so if this topic was covered erlier plese disregard it.

I was wondering about Kontovar, that is about possibility of Kontovaran invasion on Norfressa or maybe if Bahzell's new mission will be there or maybe both.
We have seen attempts of Dark Gods to destabilise Norfressa making it esier target.
We have also seen indications of dark wizadry amongst Purple Lords that leads to possible Kontovaran influence.
I know that Wencit controls spells that can lay waste to the whole continent but there is a possibility that Cornadossans have found way to counter that spells.
And there is the special attention in Bahzell and Brandark and in their removal.
There is obviusly something big going on and B&B are going to be there.
***
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by thanatos   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 am

thanatos
Commander

Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: United States

I would imagine that these days Kontovar is a mirror image of Norfressa in many respects. Where the worships of the Dark Gods is a capital offense anywhere on the continent, the worship of the Gods of Light is a capital offense in Kontovar. Where there are a number of Norfressan realms all competing with one another over the usual squabbles between nobles and monarchs over land, prestige, wealth and honor, Kontovar is a single realm. And where the Norfressan are divided because of the desire to maintain those traditions of freedom, Kontovar is a brutal dictatorship that enforces unity with the iron first of it's troops and the magical wands of it's wizards. But I would guess that at some point we will be seeing Kontovar and that our friends will be travelling there at some point. But to do that, things would have to be pretty secure back at home before they went sailing.
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by Jay6722   » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:28 am

Jay6722
Commander

Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Thanatos, I would think Kontovar might be officially united but underneath the surface there is a lot of conflict between the servants of the dark gods.

thanatos wrote:I would imagine that these days Kontovar is a mirror image of Norfressa in many respects. Where the worships of the Dark Gods is a capital offense anywhere on the continent, the worship of the Gods of Light is a capital offense in Kontovar. Where there are a number of Norfressan realms all competing with one another over the usual squabbles between nobles and monarchs over land, prestige, wealth and honor, Kontovar is a single realm. And where the Norfressan are divided because of the desire to maintain those traditions of freedom, Kontovar is a brutal dictatorship that enforces unity with the iron first of it's troops and the magical wands of it's wizards. But I would guess that at some point we will be seeing Kontovar and that our friends will be travelling there at some point. But to do that, things would have to be pretty secure back at home before they went sailing.
***
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by Rook13   » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:48 am

Rook13
Ensign

Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Jay6722 wrote:Thanatos, I would think Kontovar might be officially united but underneath the surface there is a lot of conflict between the servants of the dark gods.


From what I've read, it would likely be Carnadosans running the show in Kontovar & followers of the other dark gods plotting & scheming in the shadows. The Carnadosans probably have a pretty hectic schedule, attention divided between running the nation, stomping on "light infestations," preventing other dark gods from staging a coup, studying new magics for the group, trying to end or gain control of the "Damocles" spells, plotting the subversion &/or invasion of Norfressa, & building their own individual power (cutthroat politics are murder). There are numerous methods of dealing with each problem, but each solution spawns its own issues. I wonder, though, how many Carnadosans there really are.
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by Jay6722   » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:48 am

Jay6722
Commander

Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Rook13, you're probably right that it's Carnadosa that is in control Kontovar and I agree that the other dark gods are plotting against her. Iwonder if there is any resistance forces in Kontovar.

Rook13 wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Thanatos, I would think Kontovar might be officially united but underneath the surface there is a lot of conflict between the servants of the dark gods.


From what I've read, it would likely be Carnadosans running the show in Kontovar & followers of the other dark gods plotting & scheming in the shadows. The Carnadosans probably have a pretty hectic schedule, attention divided between running the nation, stomping on "light infestations," preventing other dark gods from staging a coup, studying new magics for the group, trying to end or gain control of the "Damocles" spells, plotting the subversion &/or invasion of Norfressa, & building their own individual power (cutthroat politics are murder). There are numerous methods of dealing with each problem, but each solution spawns its own issues. I wonder, though, how many Carnadosans there really are.
***
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:59 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: East Central Illinois

After 12 centuries, I really doubt that any resistance forces exist in Kontovar.

You might find secret worship of the Gods of Light but nobody's going to be fighting the "powers that be" in Kontovar.



Jay6722 wrote:Rook13, you're probably right that it's Carnadosa that is in control Kontovar and I agree that the other dark gods are plotting against her. Iwonder if there is any resistance forces in Kontovar.

Rook13 wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Thanatos, I would think Kontovar might be officially united but underneath the surface there is a lot of conflict between the servants of the dark gods.


From what I've read, it would likely be Carnadosans running the show in Kontovar & followers of the other dark gods plotting & scheming in the shadows. The Carnadosans probably have a pretty hectic schedule, attention divided between running the nation, stomping on "light infestations," preventing other dark gods from staging a coup, studying new magics for the group, trying to end or gain control of the "Damocles" spells, plotting the subversion &/or invasion of Norfressa, & building their own individual power (cutthroat politics are murder). There are numerous methods of dealing with each problem, but each solution spawns its own issues. I wonder, though, how many Carnadosans there really are.
*
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
*
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
*
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by rafael   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 am

rafael
Captain of the List

Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

DrakBibliophile wrote:After 12 centuries, I really doubt that any resistance forces exist in Kontovar.

You might find secret worship of the Gods of Light but nobody's going to be fighting the "powers that be" in Kontovar.


I would argue that any power like the dark forces described in this series will face resistance. It might not be successful but I think that it would still exist.
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by Charles83   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 am

Charles83
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:40 pm

I think we can forget about kontovar, my reason is simple RFC doesnt write offensively, all the novels always end with the good guys playing defense, i hope to be wrong and that for one he start shaping a hero of Tomanak for an invasion and liberation of Kontovar but so far, I havent seen that.

I wont say that he couldnt do this in the future, because the series is called the War God so at any moment he could put a trilogy or any other series of novels with a new champion who is specifically prepared to infiltrate kontovar work with the few people that are over there prepare the terrain, discover that the Order of Tomanak was also there before the fall and that they still have some chapters in secret, and after organizing everything escape to the empire of the axe and prepare and invasion to liberate them.

I hope he makes an offensive series, but so far, every book RFC write is always put on the defense side of things, he never write about a good honest offense, well so far this books look good on that side, he hasnt put his typical good guys=300 people bad guys=infinite number.
Top
Re: What about Kontovar?
Post by FriarBob   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:56 pm

FriarBob
Commodore

Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Charles83 wrote:I think we can forget about Kontovar, my reason is simple RFC doesn't write offensively, all the novels always end with the good guys playing defense, [...]

I hope he makes an offensive series, but so far, every book RFC write is always put on the defense side of things, he never write about a good honest offense, well so far this books look good on that side, he hasn't put his typical good guys=300 people bad guys=infinite number.


Well first off it's kinda hard for the good guys to have a REASON to go on the offense. Usually you have to be the bad guy, going for unjustified conquest or greed or some other malevolent purpose to be going on offense. About the only way there could be a difference would be for the good guys to be some faction of good guys within an evil and corrupt empire (or perhaps outside of it) who build up their forces specifically to bring down the bad guys and install good rulers in their place. (Of course, pretty much every bad guy actually thinks that too...)

But even then, he still has plenty of books with the good guys going on offense in some fashion or another. Either you have a faulty memory or you haven't read every single book he's written. Let's see:

This whole series -- every book in this series ends with Bahzell on the offense in some fashion or another, attacking AND defeating some vile plot by the dark gods.

Armageddon Inheritance -- pure offense, at least on Pardur. They couldn't just defend the "heretics" they had to attack and defeat the Temple to get access to the command computer (so they could go home).

Excalibur Alternative -- had a mix, though at first the good guys were forced to fight FOR the bad guys, and only got the opportunity to fight against them (both defensively AND with preemptive offensive strikes) later in the book.

Apocalypse Troll -- pretty much pure offense. Only exception would be the initial defense of Earth by trying to intercept the enemy fleet. After that, there was plenty of time when they were preparing to fight, but it was always offensive in nature with only the secrecy being defensive in nature. Oh and it ended with complete victory over the immediate enemy and strong indications of strongly-expected butt-whooping of the bad guys later.

The Honor of the Queen -- pretty heavy on defense, yes, but it did end with some (off-camera) offense to conquer Masada.

War of Honor -- pretty heavy on offense, though it did end with the bad guys temporarily "winning".

The Shadow of Saganami -- pretty heavy on defense, yes, but it ends with a preemptive offensive attack on an enemy that wasn't yet prepared for its own attack on them. That's self-defense, yes, but it's still an offensive attack.

At All Costs -- plenty of attacks by the good guys, and though it did end with a massive defensive battle the rest of the book was VERY heavy on attacks by Honor against Haven.

Pretty much the entire Prince Rodger series -- this was almost exactly the situation I describe above, in which some good guys have no choice but to go on the offensive, initially just to survive and move through territory they had to cross, but also later to bring down a corrupt and evil government that had illegally seized power in their homeland.

By Heresies Distressed -- this entire book is almost nothing BUT Charis on the offense against Corisande. And they don't end on defense... they end with wrap-up after a mostly-successful offensive campaign.

How Firm a Foundation -- Not a huge amount of military action in this book, true, but there isn't a single LICK of defense (outside of some very small, basically individual actions) on the part of the "main" good guys (Charis). Everything they do is either preparation for future conflict or outright attack. Now the book does end with some defensive actions for Siddarmark and a narrow escape of the good guys from an assassination attempt. But up to this point Siddarmark wasn't really the "good guys", they were merely "neutral in our favor". For that matter, Princess Irys and Daivyn were at least technically still "bad guys" until very nearly the end of the book.

Now I always love watching the good guys attack the bad guys (especially when they win) but you can't claim it never happens in Weber's books, nor can you claim that the books "always end with the good guys playing defense".
Top

Return to War God