Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Isvaria and Wind Rider's Oath

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Isvaria and Wind Rider's Oath
Post by Skia   » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Your memory matched what I remembered, but I went back and re-read the section.

<But in that case,> Walsharno thought slowly, <there must be as many universes as there are possible outcomes.>

<Precisely,> Tomanâk replied simply...

There does still seem to be multiple worlds as well or at least something else out there where demons come from, but also many universes.
Post by Rook13   » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 am

Rook13
Ensign

Jaxomfaux wrote:snipped
as for the original question. I assume, as others already have said, that Isvaria was busy, out of place, or letting Tomanak handle it for her.

Another possibility is that, due to her ability to discern possibilities, Isvaria kept her champion out because she forsaw failure resulting from her champion's possible actions.
Possibly.
Post by Jaxomfaux   » Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Jaxomfaux
Ensign

Skia: i stand corrected

Rook13: that's entirely possible as well :D and a very interesting thought.
Post by Skia   » Thu May 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jaxomfaux wrote:Skia: i stand corrected

Rook13: that's entirely possible as well :D and a very interesting thought.

I remembered it the same as you, though in my case that might have been because a universe for every possibility doesn't really make sense.
In my mind, at least, the way written would give a clear victory to the dark gods since there is only one (or a few) ways to get things right and many ways to screw something up.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Skia wrote:
I remembered it the same as you, though in my case that might have been because a universe for every possibility doesn't really make sense.
In my mind, at least, the way written would give a clear victory to the dark gods since there is only one (or a few) ways to get things right and many ways to screw something up.

But Murphy's Law applies to both sides. So from the evil perspective the opposite would be true. Leyte Gulf comes to mind for instance on both sides.

Remember the only time you are paranoid is if they aren't out to get you.

Voiced my opinion elseewhere though I am having some thoughts on how it might actually work based off some Ideas voiced here. Needs more thought though.
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Skia   » Thu May 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

thinkstoomuch wrote:But Murphy's Law applies to both sides. So from the evil perspective the opposite would be true. Leyte Gulf comes to mind for instance on both sides.

Remember the only time you are paranoid is if they aren't out to get you.

Voiced my opinion elseewhere though I am having some thoughts on how it might actually work based off some Ideas voiced here. Needs more thought though.
T2M

I completely agree with Murphy's Law affecting both sides and messing with them both.

I guess more with this particular battle of good vs. evil it has more to do with my view on what evil is. In essence I view "evil" as a perversion of good and for every right action there are usually more options to mess it up.
So I suppose the real reason that it doesn't make sense to me has more to do with the way I view the world than anything else.
Post by shogun37   » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

shogun37
Midshipman

Just to throw in my two cents...From what I understand, people like Bahzell are a locus, greatly impacting the people around him. The more "correct" choices he makes, the more good the others he impacts do. Until that universe has been won for good.
If you look at just one individual's choices. It is a zero sum game. But if you look at how that individual and his choices affect others, it becomes a bit different.
As Tomanak said, a single cause may not have a single effect...if I remember correctly. So, all those choices add up, over time. Until the light or the dark wins.
Sorry if I seem a bit long winded...
Post by Jay6722   » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 am

Jay6722
Commander

Yep, and I think Sword Brother might just be are first look inside one of those alternate universes.

Skia wrote:Your memory matched what I remembered, but I went back and re-read the section.

<But in that case,> Walsharno thought slowly, <there must be as many universes as there are possible outcomes.>

<Precisely,> Tomanâk replied simply...

There does still seem to be multiple worlds as well or at least something else out there where demons come from, but also many universes.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Post by Oline   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Oline
Midshipman

before the time "window" reaches a point then all possibility exist but as the window becomes a decision for good or bad in that Universe that they are dealing with it becomes solid and thus the other choices are now gone and other choices branch out. Until eventually all choices become one in the sense that all the remaining choices will lead to the triumph or either good or evil.

Return to War God