Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Is anyone ever going to call BS on Wencit?

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Is anyone ever going to call BS on Wencit?
Post by Jaxomfaux   » Wed May 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Jaxomfaux
Ensign

I would also like to add if i remember the book right the purpose of the white wizard strictures were to prevent wizards from abusing those without their powers..... so how do the strictures keep them in power or from there being a counter to their power?
Post by Skia   » Thu May 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Rook13 wrote:I would like to note that Wencit does not in fact go around "offing" wizards. When he encounters a black wizard, he makes a judgement on whether they have violated the Strictures, based on his own observations of their actions. Note in Sword Brother that instead of just blasting Tremala, he offers her a duel. "As thou hast chosen, so shalt thou answer." Even in judgement, he allows them more choice than they give their victims. I think if a young wizard were to beg for a chance to redeem himself, Wencit might just give it to him.

I have to agree with Rook on this one. He is the last appointed judge of wizardry. He isn't looking for excuses to go around killing wizards, but is instead judging those that have abused the laws. Perhaps he should be spending more time training white wizards, but for all we know he is doing that. We don't get him on screen all that often.
You might argue that with the council gone he doesn't have the moral authority to make such judgments, but it seems to me that in this world that Weber created there are very clean definitions of right and wrong. As Wencit said in the first book

"Ah, indeed. There's no White Council now, Bahzell, but I do what I can to stop the abuse of the art. I've come to rely heavily on the magi's aid for that, and the Axe Hallow mage academy got word to me when Zarantha didn't reach home on schedule."

"And what might the Strictures be?" Bahzell asked.

"Exactly what Brandark said: the laws of wizardry. Or of white wizardry, at any rate. They were written by Ottovar the Great and Gwynytha the Wise when they ended the wizard wars of their own time and founded Ottovar's empire. In simple terms, they were designed to protect those who don't have power from casual abuse by those who do."

"And you're still after following them all these years later?"

"If I don't, who will?" That steely edge was back in Wencit's voice, and his wildfire gaze bored into Bahzell's eyes. "Does time alone define right or wrong? And even if it did, by what right could I demand other wizards obey them—or hold them accountable when they don't—if I violated them myself?"
Post by Rook13   » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Rook13
Ensign

Wencit also still maintains his authority as a member of the White Council.
Post by wendal   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm

wendal
Midshipman

Paks wrote:First - Wencit is NOT a White Wizard and thus can't teach them White Wizardry. He is a Wild Mage. He is the most rare of all wizards.

Second - Black Wizardry and White Wizardry is a CHOICE - you can choose NOT to inflict Pain and Cruelty. You don't have to CHOOSE to kill innocent people.

Wrong Wencit is and was a white wizard. He just can now harness some fundamental energies of the universe relatively more easily for his wizardry. Whether he can teach is another question altogether.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

A few years back, Richard Earnshaw (close friend of David Weber) posted some info on "Wild Wizards" (not Wild Mage).

One of things Richard said was that a "Wild Wizard" could and did use "Wand Magic" as well as "Wild Magic".

So Wencit does know "Wand Magic" and in theory could teach others how to use "Wand Magic".

It is very possible that he hasn't taught others to use Wand Magic because 1) very few were willing to learn magic and 2) setting up a school for magic would be the same as saying "here I am, attack me" to the Black Wizards of Kontovar.

wendal wrote:
Paks wrote:First - Wencit is NOT a White Wizard and thus can't teach them White Wizardry. He is a Wild Mage. He is the most rare of all wizards.

Second - Black Wizardry and White Wizardry is a CHOICE - you can choose NOT to inflict Pain and Cruelty. You don't have to CHOOSE to kill innocent people.

Wrong Wencit is and was a white wizard. He just can now harness some fundamental energies of the universe relatively more easily for his wizardry. Whether he can teach is another question altogether.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to War God