Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Who... or WHAT... is Wencit of Rūm

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Who... or WHAT... is Wencit of Rūm
Post by White Tallon   » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:07 pm

White Tallon
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

No, she realized. It wasn't growing stronger because she was closer; it was growing stronger because he'd allowed it to. Or, rather, because he'd allowed the glamour no Carnadosan had ever even suspected existed to weaken briefly, let her see what lay locked away within it.
Her eyes narrowed, then dropped to the sword at his side and widened in sudden, shocked understanding. No wonder he knew so much, had managed to predict so many attacks so accurately.

Quote from "Sword Brother"

This has got me pulling my hair out wondering just what it is she saw behind the glamour..... and we all know how our beloved puppet master likes to pull our strings...

The worst part for me is everything I can come up with I can also dismiss from other evidence. Anyone have a clue?
-

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937
Re: Who... or WHAT... is Wencit of Rūm
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

I have long wondered if the sword she recognized is one that is "known" to have been captured by the Carnadosans in the Fall of Kontovar, and if Wencit has it because he is sitting high among the councils of Carnadosa, under a glamour cover after killing/replacing one of the Carnadosan wizards.

Brom

White Tallon wrote:No, she realized. It wasn't growing stronger because she was closer; it was growing stronger because he'd allowed it to. Or, rather, because he'd allowed the glamour no Carnadosan had ever even suspected existed to weaken briefly, let her see what lay locked away within it.
Her eyes narrowed, then dropped to the sword at his side and widened in sudden, shocked understanding. No wonder he knew so much, had managed to predict so many attacks so accurately.

Quote from "Sword Brother"

This has got me pulling my hair out wondering just what it is she saw behind the glamour..... and we all know how our beloved puppet master likes to pull our strings...

The worst part for me is everything I can come up with I can also dismiss from other evidence. Anyone have a clue?
Post by WiseMan999   » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 pm

WiseMan999
Ensign

Thats something I never considered, I always assumed she was talking about predicting her attacks, not the Carnadosan's attacks in general. That would explain how he knew that Bazhell was walking into something he very likely wouldn't walk out of. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how he would know, and the best I could think of was him being like either a God or a Dragon, as in able to see the possibilities ahead of schedule. As Tomanak says, the closer you get to the event the more accurately you can predict what will happen. How would that work in combat - when the possibilities present suddenly snap into one possibility as the enemy decides what to do next. You would then know as soon as they decide what they're going to do.

However, that raises certain problems on both ideas. One, how does he work complex magic - which apparently needs a lot of concentration - at the same time as concentrating on the future. This problem is obviously not present in the other idea, but surely the Carnadosans would notice that their "colleague" had been gallivanting around Norfressa for the last several centuries, especially when they seem to never risk their necks themselves. It would certainly be out of the ordinary. More to the point, how would he fool Carnadosa herself? Surely he's not so powerful that even a Goddess wouldn't recognise him through his glamour when he's standing right next to her?

I seem to have raised more many questions in my own mind than I've answered. I think I'll think about this some more.
Post by Skia   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 am

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

We actually had a discussion about this a while back, before a lot of the old posts were purged.

From everything that we could figure out it seemed like the thing that startled her was the sword which we concluded was the Sword of the South.
In the Pearls of Weber - Coursers and the Fall of Kontovar post Weber mentioned three primary heirlooms of the house of Ottovar. We don't get any explanation about the powers of those heirlooms aside from the Crown of Ottovar.
Post by Ravenschild   » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Ravenschild
Ensign

Wencit is probably half Hradani. Think about the long lived and access to the magic field comment he used in the second book. The Sword of the South (if thats what it is) is probably allowing the glamour to not be messed with. Wencit just knows a bit too much about the mixing of the races,specificaly what he says about Hradani-Human mixes. But admittedly this is a guess. I had said this in the old debate on this awhile back.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC, all Wild Wizards had extremely long-lives.

Also IIRC the hallmark of Wild Wizards is the direct access to the magic field (mentioned in the first book).

One thing to remember about Wencit's knowledge is that plenty of knowledge was lost in the Fall.

His "special" knowledge may just be knowledge known before the Fall but he's the only person still living from before the Fall.

Of course, all of the above could be true and he still may be half Hradani. [Wink]

Ravenschild wrote:Wencit is probably half Hradani. Think about the long lived and access to the magic field comment he used in the second book. The Sword of the South (if thats what it is) is probably allowing the glamour to not be messed with. Wencit just knows a bit too much about the mixing of the races,specificaly what he says about Hradani-Human mixes. But admittedly this is a guess. I had said this in the old debate on this awhile back.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Lunan   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

so i'm rereading Oath of Swords

the first time we see Wencit he tells the bloody hand
"i have been waiting for this meting for a very long time"

again my thoughts go to :is wencit, Bahzell's Son?

Return to War God