Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

The Number of Warp Transits between..

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
The Number of Warp Transits between..
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

I have been wondering at a inconsistency in the number of warp transits between Alpha Centauri and Zepherain. Zepherain became the place Admiral Trevayne used to build his superships. now when it was time for the two separate sections of the Federation to fight towards each other, I remember (I do not have Insurrection in front of my atm) that they said there were something like 13-14 warp points between Zepherain and the Alpha Centauri system, yet in The Shiva Option, there's only 7 systems between those. The Federation took something like 4-5 systems before being forced to stop and Admiral Trevayne and his forces took another 5 or so. That's 9 to 10 systems, so why did they not meet up? By the numbers in The Shiva Option, there's only 7 systems between the two, they should have met, but in Insurrection, there's suddenly more. Where did the extra systems come from?
Re: The Number of Warp Transits between..
Post by bitslizer   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:23 pm

bitslizer
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Some clues.... without re-reading insurrection and looking up the systems fought over.

During insurrection, the Crucian Union is closed to ALL Human traffic no matter what the faction. The Anderson chain was ceded to the CU after the bug war

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... fire/211/1

During Shiva option.
From Alpha Centauri via Anderson Chain to Zephrain is 9 wrap transits

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/im ... apFull.gif

The alternative routes to Alpha Centauri are not clearly mapped out but can go via Zapata to TFN or KON to other points to the TFN

IIRC It is the alternative route via Zapata that was fought over in Insurrection, while the KON was the shortcut used discretely for communicaiton
Post by Zakharra   » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:27 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

I didn't know they ceded part or even the entire chain (a stupid arsed idea) to the Crucian union. Why would it have been since Harnah wasn't CU territory (I don't remember any mention of who it went to in the books either, so.. /shrug)?

I looked at the warp map and gods is that confusing as hell to try and understand..
Post by bitslizer   » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 am

bitslizer

Zakharra wrote:I didn't know they ceded part or even the entire chain (a stupid arsed idea) to the Crucian union. Why would it have been since Harnah wasn't CU territory (I don't remember any mention of who it went to in the books either, so.. /shrug)?

I looked at the warp map and gods is that confusing as hell to try and understand..

Here's a slightly less confusing version of the map

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/im ... re-300.gif
Post by munroburton   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Zakharra wrote:I didn't know they ceded part or even the entire chain (a stupid arsed idea) to the Crucian union. Why would it have been since Harnah wasn't CU territory (I don't remember any mention of who it went to in the books either, so.. /shrug)?

There was some textev in Shiva that implied the CSU would take primary responsibility for all the planets with sentients occupied by the Bugs - they promised to supply at least half of all ground landing forces, despite the fact that either the TFMC or the Orion equivalent alone outnumbered their groundforce. They had immense motivation to do just that for Teliki and their experience with that world would prepare them for the task far better than the TF.

So those systems became protectorates of the CSU. In order to carry their mission out, the CSU required absolute control of their supply lines, so the chain was ceded. It's certain that at the time that treaty was written up and those systems handed over, nobody thought the TF could ever suffer a schism, let alone outright civil war.

I do wonder what happened to the System Which Must Be Concealed.
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:12 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:

There was some textev in Shiva that implied the CSU would take primary responsibility for all the planets with sentients occupied by the Bugs - they promised to supply at least half of all ground landing forces, despite the fact that either the TFMC or the Orion equivalent alone outnumbered their groundforce. They had immense motivation to do just that for Teliki and their experience with that world would prepare them for the task far better than the TF.

So those systems became protectorates of the CSU. In order to carry their mission out, the CSU required absolute control of their supply lines, so the chain was ceded. It's certain that at the time that treaty was written up and those systems handed over, nobody thought the TF could ever suffer a schism, let alone outright civil war.

I do wonder what happened to the System Which Must Be Concealed.

I would believe that if the Federation hadn't kept control over the other Bug systems. There's a place in the book where the rebel female admiral (I cannot remember her name. >_< ) was spending several months patrolling a part of the old Bug systems because they were a possible way the Federation could have come to rebel space.

The part that was confusing me is that the Insurrection book was before Shiva (something like nine years), and no mention of the Curcian Union was made there. For obvious reasons of course, they hadn't been invented yet. But it still left a glaring hole to me. I also don't see the Federation letting the Curcians having control of the Harah system that is literally right next door to the Alpha Centauri system that is the Sol System Gateway. Not without some form of being allowed to have come Fleet units/warp point bases/fortresses in it.

Given what the Bugs almost did, I can see the Fleet and politicians being extremely firm in making sure that that system is under Federation control rather than Curcian. It seems like the safety of humanity's home and the Federation's capital would trump anything else. Anything else just seems.. odd.
Post by jchilds   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:00 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Which version of Insurrection did you read? I think at least one of the free CDs has a version where about 20k words were (re-)added. I think there is a brief mention of the Star Union in that expanded version.
Post by coldsteel   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 pm

coldsteel

jchilds wrote:Which version of Insurrection did you read? I think at least one of the free CDs has a version where about 20k words were (re-)added. I think there is a brief mention of the Star Union in that expanded version.

Also, in the game module the SDS put out, it states that the Anderson chain was ceded to the Star Union because of the Harnahese.
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Things are not quite accurate. I for one have also puzzled over the warp maps available in many places, like in the physical hardcover and paperback books and from the many nets.

Considering all the years spent and words written and all the ships blown up on all sides in how many wars and wars to come, perhaps we are asking too much for a perfect star map?

Also ... I have a bad feeling about the Bugs. The System That Must Be Conceiled. (sp) Yikes! HB of CJ (old coot)

How do you speell conceil? I dunno. Not awake yet.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Conceal, as a rule :)

HB of CJ wrote:
How do you speell conceil? I dunno. Not awake yet.

Return to Starfire